Fragile Nail Quicks

Guest thebuiscuitlady

Guest thebuiscuitlady

One of my guys had black nails and fragile quicks. I keep making him bleed. Ive had dogs with black nails before, but greys continue to be a new ballgame. Advice?

I've had a couple of greys with black nails - one of which I could dremel, but one would not stand the dremel (no matter how gradually we worked on it). What worked best for me was to trim his nails once a week but only taking a very small piece of the tip of the nail off. Since I was only taking a small piece off, I was able to avoid nicking the quick and by doing it once a week the nails didn't get long. Good luck!

Dremel. Not worth the risk for clipping IMO and then the dog expects to be hurt the next time you approach with the clippers and you will be met with more and more resistance each time. Pawdicures are way more relaxing. :D

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I've had a couple of greys with black nails - one of which I could dremel, but one would not stand the dremel (no matter how gradually we worked on it). What worked best for me was to trim his nails once a week but only taking a very small piece of the tip of the nail off. Since I was only taking a small piece off, I was able to avoid nicking the quick and by doing it once a week the nails didn't get long. Good luck!

I'm doing this with my black nailed grey. He doesn't care about the dremel so I alternate between that and clippers. I have to take way less off than I initially was doing. It's slow going but I don't quick him anymore.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2