Appetite/finicky Eater?

I recently adopted a greyhound about 2 1/2 wks ago ! ...Im new to greyhounds...I wanted to know if its common for greyhounds to be a little finicky with eating ? Abbie seems to not have much interest in eating her breakfast -she asks to eat and seems eager but doesnt finish ...only takes a few bites......Ive offered her all different types ranging from taste of the wild wet and dry etc ...tiki dog and Stella & chewy-, Nutro and Merrick...she has zero interest in what was sent with her as well😐(science diet sensitive skin and stomach)she seems to like to freeze dried raw the best ...seems like she gets filled up rather quickly then wants to go lay down in the mornings ....night time she will eat her dry with some wet and Stella and chewy mixed in ...but mornings hasnt been finishing ...I doubt shed eat 3 cups all at once either ...as that big meal probably isnt good all at once ....her old owners stated she isnt always hungry in the am and sometimes doesnt eat until late mornings??I read that she should be having a minimum of 3 cups dry /day for her weight/size ...I dont want her to lose weight, and want to make sure shes getting the proper amount of nutrition....I was also thinking maybe shes still adjusting to her new home?? Any thoughts or suggestions?? All my other dogs devour their food immediately...thanks in advance !

Most of my greys were light eaters when they were new, but that usually cleared up within a week or two.

We would usually feed twice a day, and take the food back up if they didn't eat it, but also keeping an eye on their weight.

Finding the right food can make a big difference, but switching the food too often can be upsetting to their digestion. Being new can also upset their appetite. This is a totally different world to what they are used to and it can take awhile to adjust.

Too much activity around mealtime can affect appetite (and also be dangerous). You also mentioned that you have other dogs, so she might be slow to eat as she finds her place relative to the other dogs as well. Could you try feeding her in a separate room away from the others, but with you there to see if that helps?

If she came to you on a sensitive stomach diet, she may have been having some issues before. It may just take time to adjust and find the right food. I usually buy good quality canned food when I have new dogs in case they don't want to eat the dry. They usually eat the canned even if they avoid the kibble, and it can prevent weight loss and encourage eating at specific times. My latest took about three tries to find the right food. She would just peck and leave most of it behind.

Edited by GreytXpctations

Check my "Grazing, maybe lack of appetite" thread on this board. Percy was the same, but now he is eating his food all at once. He used to eat a few bites, wander around, go lie down, come back to it an hour later, etc. I think a combination of settling in and getting treated for worms has done the trick.

He lingered over breakfast, but gobbled dinner when we first got him. Then he seemed to linger more over both. Then he got medicine for worms and really wasn't that interested in anything besides oatmeal and yogurt. I think the meds upset his stomach. As soon as the meds were done (it was 6 days of meds), he lost all interest in oatmeal and became very interested in kibble. He gets more medicine in a week, so I expect he'll lose his appetite again then. We've had him 3 1/2 weeks now, so it's just recent that he really started eating regularly.

Greyxptatjons I feed her completely by herself in another room and lock up my corgi and jack Russell so she can eat in peace ...she seems to be more distracted in the mornings for whatever reason??and seems like she isn’t as hungry in the mornings as she is at night ..her previous owners wrote me a nice note about her and stated that she wasn’t always hungry in the mornings ...they sent her food with her but she wouldn’t eat it I’ve been offering high quality wet and kibble ...just seems like she’s hungrier some days than others ....

GreyPup I did see your thread ...she’s due for a checkup soon so we will definitely check a fecal

It's also perfectly OK to feed her different things am vs pm. If she seems more interested in one thing for breakfast, feed her that, and keep the kibble for dinner. There's also no law that says she *has* to eat kibble. Kibble is just cheaper for *us* than other forms of food for dogs. So figure out what she'll eat when and try and calculate how many calories she's getting to see how much you need to feed her.

Don't go by the recommendations on the dog food - they are always too high because they want to sell more dog food! You want her to not be hungry, hold her weight easily for her activity level, and be healthy. Once you have that you're good to go!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

corgi and terriers are the world's fastest eaters, don't compare! also, she may enjoy a tad of competition and company at meal time. why not give it a try, just watch the 3 in action. also, some greys, are light eaters once they are off the track not burning up as many calories.

Edited by cleptogrey

• 3 weeks later...

It does take time. And some experimentation. We are at almost 2 years and still have to change it up from time to time to keep her interested in food. Some are extremely food driven and some are NOT. Mine is NOT, so she will go without eating and get grumbly tummy empty to the point throwing up bile if she doesn't eat so we have to do what it takes to keep her interested. She is also emotionally attached to eating so uncomfortable situations put her on hunger strike. Key the extra food bribes. It works for us. You will find what works for you... just go with it.

It may just take time to adjust then. It sounds like you are on top of things.

Also good about the checkup and fecal. It would be good to rule things out health wise as well.