What Does This Mean?

Hi - this is not a problem that needs advice, I'm just interested to know what it means. We've had our hound 10 months and just in the last couple of months she's started scratching the ground behind her after she's peed and pooped. I know that this is usually a scent- spreading thing but I just wondered why now after such a long time.

Suggests to me that she's settled in well with you and is now showing how happy and confident she feels! My old boy Doc used to do this a lot and always looked very pleased with himself afterwards. I did discourage him from doing it at home, because it made a mess of the lawn, but permitted it while we were out and about.

It could also be that she has recently observed another dog doing it, so wants to imitate. Ken doesn't do the scratching thing, and is much less keen on marking with wee too - but when we went out for a walk recently with his friend Frank the terrier, who is forever peeing on trees, Ken 'remembered' about marking and also wanted to mark every tree!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My first greyhound never did it until he saw a friend's greyhound do it, then it was the best thing since sliced bread (and he loved bread :lol). Of my two guys now, one does it and seemed to always do it, the other has not picked it up and he's 6 now.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yes, as Docs Doctor pointed out, its my understanding that it means they feel secure and "at home" in "their territory." It tells other dogs, should any see it, that this is MY place and I rule the roost. She is evidently pretty happy.

I've had Cyrus about 6 months now and he's started doing this too! Not every time he pees but usually like 3 times while we're out on our walk. Sometimes he gets a burst of energy right after he scratches and he tries to zoom, but he's only nearly taken my arm off once, lol