Licking His Wee Wee

Guest franci

Guest franci

Hello,

I am new to greyhounds, we adopted our boy 2 months ago.

Is it normale that he licks his private parts very often? I also just noticed that it's dripping some substance and how can it be the (ahem) normal stuff if he has been neutered?

Thanks

Have him checked for a UTI or an infection from the neuter surgery. While some licking isn't uncommon, it's not constant and there should be no discharge.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Welcome to Greytalk!

Your boy shouldn't have a discharge, and the licking is probably a result of the infection that is causing the discharge. It isn't unique to greyhounds.

Unless there is blood, I wouldn't consider this worthy of emergency care, but I would try to get it diagnosed & treated within the week if possible.

My Blue has just had a similar experience only four days ago. Blue was neutered 11 years ago. He was licking and had a wheaten colour discharge from his sheath opening, too much for my liking. Changed to a pale whitish green. Took him to the vet. A look under the microscope showed no white cells, so no infection. I took a urine sample, showed no urinary tract infection. He is okay. The licking has lessened. I agree, get him checked out for your own peace of mind.

Percy is licking a lot too. We got him 5 days after he was neutered, so he was licking the surgical area, but now it's been 3 weeks and he still licks a lot and it's LOUD. Drives me nuts. No discharge or anything.

I took one of my boys to get checked because it seemed there was more discharge than previous, and got a new word added to my vocabulary. From Wikipedia:

Smegma (Greek smēgma[1]) is a combination of shed skin cells, skin oils, and moisture. It occurs in both male and female mammalian genitalia. In female bodies, it collects around the clitoris and in the folds of the labia minora; in males, smegma collects under the foreskin.

The vet didn't find any more than normal. I can't remember if Milo was licking more than usual.

But as long as we're talking medical terminology, you're among friends here and don't have to use baby talk for genitalia. The correct term for the male sexual organ is hoo hoo. (Female = woo woo). :)

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter