Amputation

Our Molly developed an egg-sized lump seemingly out of nowhere on her forearm, between her foot and her ankle. We noticed it last Monday, our vet took a needle biopsy Tuesday, and results were small tissue sarcoma. Met with an oncologist this Monday, who gave us all of the treatment options.

We're leaning toward an amputation. Does anyone have experience with this that would be willing to share their story?

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

My first greyt Ivy (Dream Irish) had her RF leg amputated for the same reason. They included a brief story and picture of her in the book "Without Regrets." It was several years ago so it may not be available now. Bottom line is I am very glad we went there. She did NOT suffer unduly in anyway. She came home within ~4 days and jumped back into the bed the first night and we went on our first walk the next day! I let her tell me how far she wanted to go each time. Before long we were running a mile and more together as we used to before the amp. One day during our run she looked back at me and said, or rather laughed,"I've only got 3 legs and you still can't keep up with me!" We enjoyed greyhound events like always. And most importantly she continued to run and have fun and do zoomies as that was critical to her happiness. She was one who loved to run. Sadly the cancer returned in a hind leg after about a year and sealed her fate. She knew she would not be able to come back and run again after that and was ready to cross over for the first time. However the amputation gave us a year of pain free happiness-good food, good times, and love. And remember a dog year is a lot longer than a human year. I am VERY glad I had it done and we had all those extra good times and love we wouldn't have had w/o the amp. :beatheart You can't put a price on that. BTW she was getting chemo but had no ill effects from it. I did load her up on Fresh Factors and think that helped her too. And a lot of dogs get a lot more than 1 year post amp too. We at least had a chance for even more time. No chance at no time if you don't get it done. One caution though make sure it is a board certified KNOWLEDGEABLE & EXPERIENCED surgeon that is familiar with how the greyhound skin is. Ivy's doc was very skilled and there was nothing to it-it didn't even leave a scar-even the hair grew back. I have heard of terrible complications though from surgeons doing it that were not greyhound savvy-something to do with the fat in their skin/system etc. and then overall skill and experience comes into play also. It IS major surgery.

Edited by racindog

You should read through the current Osteo Thread for information and experiences with both palliative care and amputation. Many of us have had to go through your decision-making process. Osteo and sarcomas are different cancers, and post-amp treatment is a little different as an amp for sarcoma is often curative instead of only a holding pattern.

If you would like a wider level of experience, there's a Facebook page called "greyhounds with Osteo" and also one all about Tripods.

Dogs in general adapt extremely well to the physical loss of a leg. The surgery itself is major, but like racindog stated above, dogs can come home and resume their normal activities within a few days. We always tell people that the first wo weeks post-surgery are the hardest. After that it's generally smooth sailing. Front leg amps for greyhounds are a bit more difficult as they carry most of their weight in their front half. They generally have to do things like walking much faster to keep their momentum going. But again, they adapt well and easily.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I went the amp route, front leg, with the two that I had with OS. Once we got past the 2 week mark, they were happy and pain free. The first made it 6 months and I just lost another after 14 months.

Both ended up with mets in another bone.

The first two weeks are the hardest, but it's worth it.