Ear Tip Bleeding

Guest odonnkim

Guest odonnkim

Need help from anyone who can tell me how to stop an ear tip from bleeding. Our Greyhound burst a blood vessel in her ear from shaking her head vigorously and the vet wrapped it up but now it's bleeding again. Using stiptick powder, but is there anything else we can try? Thanks for your help.

You need to keep her from flapping it around. Cutting a cylindrical strip of pantyhose and putting that over her head to hold her ears flat may work. I've done that in the past. Cake with lots of styptic first. You might also consider cold laser therapy as it can promote and speed wound healing.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If you don't have panty hose, try the ankle/leg part of a sock

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Or a snood or the arm of a sweater - anything cylindrical and stretchy! You can also use vet wrap and wrap his ear to his head.

When our girl had an injury like that we used just a regular extra large bandaid bandage - like, 3x5 inches maybe - and folded it around her ear. With the wrapping and the bandaid it stayed on pretty long. Long enough to get the healing process off to a good start. You'll need to keep that ear from reopening longer than you think too.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

A long time ago a dog in my care got the tip of his ear bit off (by my own dog :(). The bleeding would not stop and a bandage would not stay on. We went to the e-vet and they had to wrap his whole head :( But that was the only way to get it to stop. It was not able to be sutured, but I think they did use some type of glue to bond it.

Edited by JenniferS

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com