Flea/tick/heartworm Reactions?

Roo

Tessa has been taking Nexgard Spectra (I got it from the kennel - it's what they use on the adoptables). The first time I gave it to her (after a full morning meal), she seemed fine all day, then threw up her dinner about two hours after eating. I didn't connect the timing of the pill and the puke.

She was fine for the next couple of doses, but she had her fifth month of it yesterday with breakfast, seemed fine all day, then threw up her dinner about two hours after she ate it.

I'm guessing it's a reaction to the flea/tick/heartworm pill, but I've always thought reactions would be more severe and less "one puke and done". (Not that I'm complaining!) Since I've never had a pup have a reaction, I wanted to run it by all you knowledgeable folks. Does it sound like too much of a coincidence for the two (the puke and the pill) to be unrelated?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for flea/tick and heartworm pills that don't often to cause adverse reactions, I'm all ears :lol I had a Seresto collar on her for a while and she was fine with it - I may go back to that - but what to do for heartworm?

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

i tried nexguard for annie and she was totally knocked out sleepy/lethargic for a couple of days. i didn't try it w/ my male since he was at the very bottom of the weight dosage. i use heart guard plus and just started w/ the sorest collar. it did a great job eliminating all those tiny-teeny fleas of san antonio and it's reflective!!!

Fleawise the only thing wonky I've had was a grey that was allergic (his face swelled up like a balloon) to Frontline Plus. He was OK with the old regular Frontine. That was when I switched to Advantage - not Advantix. Many old grey folks don't like permethrin though many use it with success. It is the synthetic version of pyrethrin. As far as HW my guys are doing great on Bravecto. Path of least possible side effects may be just simply any Ivermectin-Pyrantel such as Heartgard, Heartgold (AU), Tri-Heart our ValueHeart (AU).

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

i tried nexguard for annie and she was totally knocked out sleepy/lethargic for a couple of days. i didn't try it w/ my male since he was at the very bottom of the weight dosage. i use heart guard plus and just started w/ the sorest collar. it did a great job eliminating all those tiny-teeny fleas of san antonio and it's reflective!!!

Maybe that's what's wrong with Tessa today. She's hungry and has so far kept down breakfast (and her poops were solid this morning and last night, after she threw up), but she's laying on her bed looking positively downtrodden. Just keeps staring at me like she wants something but won't get up to point me in the right direction (outside? kitchen? pets? what?). She'll shift between flat on her side and more upright, but she just seems...off. I gave her gentle cuddles for a while and she seemed quite pleased with the soft pets. Poor dear.

I'll switch back to the Seresto collar and ask the vet about an alternative heartworm pill. We're probably due in soon anyway - in addition to the dental/bloodwork she needs, she has a strange bump under her skin next to her hip bone. It's soft and I can poke it and she doesn't seem to mind, so I'm assuming it's a cyst (she has a couple other cysts, but they're on her skin, not under), but figure since we're going in anyway, I might as well mention it :rolleyes:

A photo of the poor sad puppy yesterday before the pukies and sleepiness hit her:

28056333_10211036576015734_5475023741502

She's decided she loves carrots, so I figured it's only right I put ears on her :lol

I sell things on Etsy!

my friend/adoption rep had the same reaction with her female GH. Many dogs do well, obviously we have found 3 that do not!

Do report it, the manufacturer keeps track of all reactions to their drugs and if you have the receipt you should be able to get a full refund.

Edited by cleptogrey

George always had pudding poo after his heartworm--but just once. To me that's not really an "adverse reaction." Puking once is nothing to be concerned about really. Dogs can puke at the drop of a hat, and if it's just once, I think that the benefits of the drug far outweigh the single barf!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

George always had pudding poo after his heartworm--but just once. To me that's not really an "adverse reaction." Puking once is nothing to be concerned about really. Dogs can puke at the drop of a hat, and if it's just once, I think that the benefits of the drug far outweigh the single barf!

It happened one month, then a few months later it happened again. I know one puke isn't a big deal, but it wasn't just the one barf - she was lethargic and out of sorts for two days as well. I'm going to try bravecto and probably heartgard this month.

I sell things on Etsy!