Question For Those Who Have Used Doggles Or Other Protective Eyewear

Crow was diagnosed with pannus recently, and while it's mild so far, the ophthalmologist recommended protective eyewear for high UV days - such as in the summertime if he's going to be out a lot. I'm thinking the Doggles size recommendations are going to be off for greyhounds due to the breed's narrower heads. Crow is not a big guy and he has a shorter head and snout than most - his head is probably slightly bulkier than the average greyhound female. Would a size medium work? Are any of the other brands out there any good?

Thanks!

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

You'll notice that Doggles have a harder time staying on our streamlined hounds' heads' in general! :) While Ryder will tolerate them when walking around in the house, it's a different ball game when we are outside. Straight to pawing to get them off - and that can do damage in itself. The lower part of the doggles I think obstruct his view and he doesn't like that the rim is in the way. They really have to sit on the face "just so." That's my opinion of them anyway. I have seen other brands that might work better though - more of like a ski mask with one whole unit that two independent ones.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I bought Summit a pair long ago when he was diagnosed. I'll check and see what size they are. Honestly, we never really used them. They don't stay put very well because of the shape of the greyhound head. I honestly have never noticed any major issues with being out in the sun a lot for Summit. I do think he has a relatively mild case of pannus. So long as he gets his eye medication it doesn't seem to be a major issue how much sun exposure he has (usually not excessive anyway, just when he was younger maybe when we would go camping he'd be out in the sun for most of the day).

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Annie's ophthalmologist told me if we move to high altitudes then worry. We live at sea level. What elevation are you at?

I have no clue. I'm in foothills of the Appalachians (Catoctin range - so not very high).

We sold them at the dog daycare and possibly one in 20 dogs of any breed would tolerate them. The ones that did seemed to be flatter faced dogs like pugs.

Tolerance can be worked on - Crow already tolerates pretty much anything I do to him. Good to know re: flatter faces though. *sigh*

I bought Summit a pair long ago when he was diagnosed. I'll check and see what size they are. Honestly, we never really used them. They don't stay put very well because of the shape of the greyhound head. I honestly have never noticed any major issues with being out in the sun a lot for Summit. I do think he has a relatively mild case of pannus. So long as he gets his eye medication it doesn't seem to be a major issue how much sun exposure he has (usually not excessive anyway, just when he was younger maybe when we would go camping he'd be out in the sun for most of the day).

Thanks. I don't think we would use them much right now, but we do occasionally have beach time (at Dewey) when he's out for an extended period in the sun. He's a black dog, so him + sun don't get along anyway and we generally limit exposure during the hottest months. But I'd like to get him used to them now so that if he does end up really *needing* them down the road, it won't be an issue.

You'll notice that Doggles have a harder time staying on our streamlined hounds' heads' in general! :) While Ryder will tolerate them when walking around in the house, it's a different ball game when we are outside. Straight to pawing to get them off - and that can do damage in itself. The lower part of the doggles I think obstruct his view and he doesn't like that the rim is in the way. They really have to sit on the face "just so." That's my opinion of them anyway. I have seen other brands that might work better though - more of like a ski mask with one whole unit that two independent ones.

Hm. I saw something that had a different shape, but now can't remember where I saw them - or if they were UV protective (that's the key factor here).

Edited by turbotaina

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

These are the other ones I know of that are UV protective and have the ski goggle shape. Not sure how they fit greyhounds though. https://www.rexspecs.com/

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Our eye Vet did not recommend them as they can dry the eyes out. We had some, but I don't remember what size they were. Nor do I know where they are.

Also, consider using Genteal Gel for severe dry eyes twice a day.

And since I know you will only use the goggles when hiking and such, I think they would be fine.

I think it was Dr. Radcliff at Dewey or maybe Sandy Paws who said pannus is not common in sighthounds and is often misdiagnosed. However I believe he also said, beyond cost, the treatment will not harm them.

Remember, I have a pea brain and I am old, so I might not be remembering it completely correctly.

And yeah, the UV thing.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****