Flexi Leads

My first greyhound ate an entire six foot leather leash! He did leave the snap!

OH MY !!!! This sounds like something that might happen at my house. Jesse eats EVERYTHING, and we are trying to train her just to chew her toys. UGH, she is not a good listener. So far she enjoys rocks and bark from the back yard, and has tried to munch the couch.

I bought insurance just because I knew we might have some issues.........lol. We watch her closely though, and she is crated when we can't she is a bundle of energy, and I can't wait until her shots are finished and we can walk her around the neighborhood.

Karen

I have a flexilead horror story too. Some friends adopted a spooky black male greyhound. They'd bring him and their other grey to meet and greets with us so I got to know him. He was a sweet boy, but terrified of unexpected noises and shy with people. They'd been making some progress increasing his confidence levels and then one day we got the Amber Alert call. As we went out to help look for him, we got the story:

The dad had the two greys on flexis on a walk and as he stopped to get his mail in front of his house, he dropped the spook's lead handle. Clatter, and that boy was GONE, just saw his back end as it rounded the corner at the end of the street. We searched for hours, hired a sniffer dog, canvassed multiple neighborhoods, searched two towns. We got one quick sighting of him the day after he got loose and then never again. The weekend after he got loose was the local town fair featuring fireworks. It was also summer, featuring evening thunderstorms many days. Never did find him. It ripped my heart out even though he wasn't mine, because he was a spooky boy, afraid of strangers, lost in a strange place, with constant scary noises.

Never, EVER use a flexilead with a spooky dog. It's just not worth it.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

OH MY !!!! This sounds like something that might happen at my house. Jesse eats EVERYTHING, and we are trying to train her just to chew her toys. UGH, she is not a good listener. So far she enjoys rocks and bark from the back yard, and has tried to munch the couch.

I bought insurance just because I knew we might have some issues.........lol. We watch her closely though, and she is crated when we can't she is a bundle of energy, and I can't wait until her shots are finished and we can walk her around the neighborhood.

Did you ever read the position statement I linked you to? When you say finished, are you talking about her rabies shot? Because you will be outside of the socialization window then. I am concerned that you are going to end up with a fearful dog because you are following outdated advice. Not to mention that the benefits she would get from the mental stimulation of being in new environments far outweigh any risks to her and would go a long way toward addressing her energy needs, which it sounds like aren't being met. Play with other puppies would be even better for both physical and mental stimulation. Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Or, buy a lunge line from a horse supply store.

This!! These are the same thing and much cheaper than a dog tracking lead.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I feel really strongly negative about these type of leashes. A lot of people in our condo building and out and about have these types of leashes on their smaller dogs and I hate them. Their dogs come right up close to mine and I swear I am ready to kick them if they approach after I have told the owner to pull back and control their dog. It gets dicey in a condo building but I am not risking any confrontation between my dog and a dog he does not know. My Polar is recently blind and I need to be ultra careful around these types of leashes. Even if I didn't have a dog I'm not a fan of someone just letting their dog come very close to me without my asking first. A lot of owners just don't get it. "My dog is friendly" does not cut it. I know you love your dog and I would probably love your dog too, but back off until we know each other.