Eating Dirt Since Yesterday

Guest LyraDoggy

Guest LyraDoggy

Got home from work yesterday - girlfriend left for a week in the morning. Noticed the water bowl was empty - weird, we filled it in the morning. Took her out for a walk, all seemed fine, though Lyra was panting more than usual.

After we came back home, I finally noticed what she'd spent the day doing... She ate my girlfriend's olive tree (it was pretty small still and had not branched out), broke the vase, spread dirt everywhere and puked the dirt she ate. Fun.

Talked to the lady from my rescue, and olive trees are not toxic. Main thing could be the branch poking if she didn't chew properly before swallowing.

I had removed most plants from her reach, except 2 that I thought were out of her reach, behind a couch. Well, I woke up to a bang at 6 am and found the rosemary on the floor. There's still enough dirt to fill the pot so I don't think she ate much, but she wanted to!

Now, does anyone know why she might be doing this? It's the second time in 2 weeks where she decides to eat dirt, both times ended with the carpet cleaner.

She doesn't seem to show signs of separation anxiety, though we're not ruling it out. She'd also become a picky eater recently, but we cut back on the treats and she's been eating consistently after getting over it.

How long have you had her? If she is new to you then everything in your house smells new and different to her. And tempting.

Do you have a fenced yard and if so, does she try to eat dirt out there?

For now I'd put everything out of her reach: houseplants, tv remote, glasses, etc.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest LyraDoggy

Sorry, I should've mentioned that.

We've had her since end of September - she's quite used to us and the house by now, and the only time in the past she's shown interest in indoor plants was because the African violets were blocking her view in "her" window.

She's trying to eat grass and some dirt outside. When I took her out this morning, she pooped potting soil followed by a leaf shape turd. Said turd was all the leaves lined up / bundled up, so at least we know that went through.

All I can think of to suggest until you get her to the vet, is to use a muzzle with a stool guard when you let her outside to prevent her from munching on dirt and such. She can wear the muzzle indoors, as well, for the time being.

You can find muzzles (and other neat stuff!) here:

http://www.gemgreyhounds.org/GEM-Store/category/muzzle/

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I suspect she might not be feeling well.

Yes-often dogs with tummy woes will drink more and eat plant material often making themselves vomit. I would ring your vet and explain what's going on and perhaps they will dispense some tummy meds (or give you the okay to start Pepcid).