Aggression Towards An Older Dog

My 3 year old greyhound Darla has been great since we got her 6 months ago. The biggest problem she's had is with my parents family dog. She's 16 and we've had her since she's a puppy. She's a lot smaller than Darla but Darla will show her teeth and growl at her whenever she walks by. My parents also have a small puppy and Darla tolerates the puppy way between than the older dog. Any ideas why this is and how to curb it? Thank you!!

Simple answer: she doesn't like your parents old dog.

Do you live with your parents? If not, the simple answer is to not bring her over there for now. At 16, their old dog hasn't got much time left and it deserves to have a safe an peaceful home free of growling whippersnappers. If you DO, then you need to make sure that they are never alone unattended.

Growling is her only means of telling the old dog "stay away from me," so I would not suggest you do anything except keep her away from the old dog.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Simple answer: she doesn't like your parents old dog.

Do you live with your parents? If not, the simple answer is to not bring her over there for now. At 16, their old dog hasn't got much time left and it deserves to have a safe an peaceful home free of growling whippersnappers. If you DO, then you need to make sure that they are never alone unattended.

Growling is her only means of telling the old dog "stay away from me," so I would not suggest you do anything except keep her away from the old dog.

This. Whatever you do do NOT correct her for growling. That would be the worse thing you could do. Then there would be no warning. The growling is a good thing. Just keep them apart. I have noticed also that when a pack member becomes very old it is not uncommon for even their own pack members to begin being aggressive to them when they never were before. I am pretty sure it is a dog survival instinct. Nothing you can do about it. My vet agrees and said all you can do is keep them separated and/or watch them real good.

You may want to muzzle your dog if she needs to be at your parents house, just to be safe.

Just to add here - your dog isn't doing anything "wrong." As said above, it's an instinctual response, for whatever reason, and the best you can do is protect both dogs by being smart and vigilant.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Thanks for all the great responses. I don't live with my parents but do visit once every couple months. They're hit and miss. Sometimes they'll sniff each other and walk side by side around the block. It's only when my dog is laying down, which I guess is space aggression, but I just found it strange why she only does that to the older, more docile.

Thanks for all the great responses. I don't live with my parents but do visit once every couple months. They're hit and miss. Sometimes they'll sniff each other and walk side by side around the block. It's only when my dog is laying down, which I guess is space aggression, but I just found it strange why she only does that to the older, more docilefficient dog.

She permits the puppy more leeway than she allows the older dog, because it is a puppy. Dogs are hardwired to treat puppies differently--they expect adults to have manners. When the puppy gets too exuberant you may see your dog growling and correcting the pup. Don't interfere as Darla is just teaching the pup manners.

Just thought I'd share this: my first greyhound, George, pictured in my avatar, was what they refer to as a "breed snob." He HATED dogs who were not greyhounds. My parents, who I did not live with, had two English setters. They also lived on an island, and the only practical way to visit them was for a weekend. First trip over, George immediately snapped at Dad's dog, and he pretty much told me he wasn't going to stand for his dog being assaulted in his own house. I put George's muzzle on. He wore it for the first 12 hours, and then I could see him just relax and forget they were not greyhounds. Never had another problem with them getting along in the several years that came next, but they were never friends. It was weird. They didn't even sniff butts (although they did pee on each other!). Davy and Lily just did their own thing, and George acted like they were just beneath his contempt--but at least he didn't try and rough them up!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck