Double Nails/pad Issue

Guest xyodax

Hello,

First time here, unfortunately not for a good reason.

Me and my family recently got a greyhound, his name is Ty, we got him from a rescue, he was abandoned at an early age at 2/3 months old.

Ty had no nail on one of his pads, vet said he either broke it somehow or was born without it and that it would most likely not grow.

Fast forward it a couple of months, Ty is now 7 months old, and he grew a nail but it grew sideways and it's grey unlike the rest.

Something is bursting through his pad, which to me seems like a second nail but the vet said it's just a callous(it has grown a lot since the vet last saw it, probably 1 or 2 cms).

I'd like to know if any of you have seen something like this before. It brings discomfort to Ty and sometimes he lifts his paw off the ground, he can run just fine which is weird so I'm guessing it only hurts in certain positions but I'd like to have him at 110% health.

Thanks in advance!

Luís :)EOugiw5.jpg

Looks like a big corn on that toe.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

That is either a corn or a cutaneous horn. I had a greyhound with a cutaneous horn. For a few years I thought it was an extra toe nail. Then a vet tried to "hull" it out thinking it was a corn.

If it's a cutaneous horn it will be sort of soft. I was able to trim it down and it was sort of spongy texture.

They don't hurt the dog and there is no reason to be worried about them. Easy to manage, just need to keep it trimmed so it doesn't snag on carpet.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Thanks for the replies, I searched a lot but wasn't using the right terms so I would never find out about corns.

The corn is stiff and it does hurt him because he doesn't let us touch it, I see this has no cure... I see a lot of treatments, which ones would you recommend?

There is a great Facebook group called "Greyhounds with corns" that is worth signing up for if you're not on FB already. Tons of info and experienced support.

IMO, that's not a corn. A corn would have broken off on its own before getting this big. I would say it's a cutaneous horn. One that big would definitely be painful, especially on a toe with an issue already. Treatments are similar to corns.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'll agree with cutaneous horn. One of my Mom's cats gets one in just about the same place, he is long haired and his pad doesn't hit the ground where it could wear off.

It is probably pretty tender, but some greys don't like their feet being messed with anyway.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Ouchie. I agree it also looks like a corn too. Be aware, corns are tough buggers to get rid of an often recurr. Stay on top of them. He's so young I'm kind of surprised as they usually (I think) happen to older pups.

I've tried Murray's Apothecary before, but nothing worked as well as duct tape. There are lots and lots of threads on this forum about corns.

The nails also appear a little long so getting those cut back a little more would ease the discomfort.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015