Suggestions Please......recon Has Been Going Out 3X's In The Mid O

Hi all....my male for the past 2 nights has gone out to poop 3x's......some history....he's been with us for just over a year, 5 years old, loves the inside-hates the outdoors, spoiled rotten :) , had really soft poop when we adopted him & it took me months to get it to a firm state. Tried Olewo carrots, didn't work as well as pumpkin. He eats 2x's a day, dry food with a tablespoon of pumpkin-has doggie treats but no people food. My female is fine & eats the same thing...so I know it's not the food. Recon has no temp, acts fine all day, doesn't go out like he has at night now (thank goodness for doggie door), checked his poop yesterday from that night and it's a really soft mess but not diarrhea. This guy would never go out in 20 degree weather at night unless he has to go....He didn't poop on his walk yesterday morning because he was all pooped out from the night before, this is usually when he goes....

It's now 6:30 am, he went out at 12, 3 & 5 (I got up)......I'm going to put him on straight boiled chicken with rice after we get back from our walk, give him a dose of pepto......any other suggestions? Thanks for you help in advance....

Debbie

Stop the pumpkin. For some dogs it works good but for one of mine it increased loose poop. Consider adding plain yogurt (with no sweeteners).

Take a poop sample to your vet to rule out worms. Not all are visible to the naked eye.

I'm not sure if the pepto will do much for him.

Is he losing any weight?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you, will stop pumpkin, just got back from our walk, his poop was pure liquid now. No weight loss....will do stool sample as you suggest if not better today/tonight. I'll skip the Pepto and try some Kaopec....

His appetite is still very strong, waiting on the rice to cook now.

Pepto and Keopectate are the same thing. Immodium (basic pill, check for no added sweeteners) may slow down the diarrhea.

However, at this point I think he needs a vet visit rather than just bringing in a poop sample.

http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/pepto-bismol-imodium-kaopectate-dogs-dog-health-upset-stomach-diarrhea

There are prescription meds that can help with diarrhea, but you need to know why this is happening.

How is his daily water intake?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

FYI--There is a k9 specific Petpectate that has the old school Kaolin and Pectate that you can get at the pet store. BUT please find out if there is something else going on first.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

All good advice above.

If you don't want to have to cook chicken, I have routinely used Evanger's Canned Organic Chicken for Rocket's bouts of colitis and mixed that with over-cooked mushy rice or pasta for the bland diet. It is nothing but cooked pureed chicken and digests even easier than boiled chicken because it is the consistency of any other wet dog food. I keep a case on had at all times so we don;t have to scramble to cook a chicken when it flares up.

Be sure that your rice or pasta is overcooked with 2-3 times as much water as normal. it is much easier to digest that way. I also usually switch to 4 smaller meals a day instead of 2 so his stomach doesn't have to process as much in each feeding.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Update, brought sample to Vet, they will give me results tomorrow. She thinks it could be Giardia, possibly from drinking the bird bath water or something else in the yard (Raven poop, etc..). He checked out fine except for his diarrhea, will keep him on chicken/rice for a few days. She gave me RX for Metronidazole which will clear up Giardia & or the bad tummy.

Giardiasis refers to an intestinal infection that is caused by the protozoan parasitegiardia, which is the most common intestinal parasite that is found in humans.Dogs develop the infection by ingesting infectious offspring (cysts) that are shed in another animal's feces.

Guess this can be a common issue, with all the dogs we have had never had this one, he's the only one who can reach the bird bath so I really think that's what it's from if it is Giardia.

Thank you to all of you for your great suggestions. I'm going to get some of that Evangers next time I get to PetCo/PetSmart. I'm glad I took him in & I'm glad you all told me to. Maybe we can get some sleep tonight :nappy :ghplaybow

Debbie

P.S. Rockets Mom....I see you are in Phoenix-we are in Prescott.....my 2 came from Tucson track and Recon was fostered in Phoenix. Are you going to Mardi Greys on Saturday? I was going to go but I think I'll sit this out, don't want him around a lot of dogs right now.....do you know Leah & Jim?

WHOOPS!!! Sorry Don I didn't look at your personal info first........please excuse my assumption that you were Rocket's mom......should be DAD!!!

Ah, birdbath -itis! I had 3 dogs have it at the same time. Same prescription given. Got rid of the birdbath too.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hi Debby, I hope he will be feeling better soon. PS. Rocket's dad is a customer, too.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Yep, the bird bath is moving to the front yard, after the water thaws....... :hehe

Hi Irene.....thank you for your kind thoughts......small world isn't it......Carrera & Recon sleep in their night shirts every night, we ALL love them

:beatheart

Off to bed, let's hope we get some sleep. :nappy

Glad to hear that there may be something besides sensitive tummy (which I've finally managed to tame in my boy after more than 10 years ... by cutting BEEF out of his diet).

Check out Chewy.com for delivery service of your canned food (I love Evangers 100% chicken, but also like their hand-packed foods which look like real food, and Chewy.com has free shipping on orders over $49.I like them for my treats (stella/chewy's) and dog foods (several brands of kibble).

Thank you.....was a customer of Chewy.com for many years, unfortunately the food I was buying just became too much $......will check on the products recommended though.

Mine don't get beef or lamb (bad gas), :tomato I'm doing Kirkland Turkey/Sweet Potato-grain free, best yet for the two of them.

This is the first 2 Greys I've ever had, I wonder because of what I've read on the forum, etc... if they all have bad tummies and poop like a cow!!!

We use to rescue and adopt Afghan Hounds for over 35 years.....being a hound....believe me all tummies are not the same!

Yep, the bird bath is moving to the front yard, after the water thaws....... :hehe

Hi Irene.....thank you for your kind thoughts......small world isn't it......Carrera & Recon sleep in their night shirts every night, we ALL love them

:beatheart

Off to bed, let's hope we get some sleep. :nappy

Thank you for the compliment Let us know how he is doing.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Just got test results.....negative on Giardia. So I have no idea what happened & neither does Vet, will keep giving him meds. He's much better today & we all got to sleep last night. I'm thinking he ate something out in the yard, guess it doesn't matter as long as he's better.

Thanks again everyone,

Debbie

Bird bath still going in front yard :)