Alabama Rot

robinw

I'm looking for info on Alabama rot. I can't seem to find what I need online. Does anybody know if it's common in Canada? Can it be treated? Is it always fatal? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Donna Weeks should have some info, too. She is on FB, I'll see if I can get you two connected there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Gentamicin and pencillin. Dosing, how to alternate the two, etc. should be covered in Care of the Racing Greyhound (I don't have a copy).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Uh oh. Are your pups affected? I have never heard of this until now so I'm unfamiliar with it.

No. I posted this for a friend.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I can't honestly say I have ever seen a case of Alabama Rot. We have treated multiple cases of strep/staph infections that presented like Alabama Rot.
The vet who did all the heavy research on Alabama Rot years ago (I can't remember his name and Google isn't helping just now), told me he believed Alabama Rot no longer exists.
I think this "name" is now being applied to other, similar, flesh destroying diseases/syndromes.

When we successfully treated it, we caught it early and hit it hard with heavy duty antibiotic cocktails and IV fluids. Once it goes beyond a single lesion, you probably won't save the dog. We managed to keep some alive for many months, only to tragically lose them.

I'd say contact the Greyhound Health Initiative (Dr. Couto, and others) to see if they can point you towards some help.

Bottom line, it sucks, big time. Nobody really knows what causes it and there is no real treatment.

Sorry!

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

Robin:

Not sure if your friend's hound eats raw meat, but Alabama Rot is suspected to be linked to raw meats (similar to E.Coli), so it could be present in Canada. The disease is found in the USA; SE Asia; Mexico; it's currently seen in the UK; and other regions. Commonly seen in fall/autumn season.

In a nutshell, it is not always fatal, but can be fatal (in as little as 24 hours) if renal failure and/or thrombocytopenia is evident. Treatments differ depending on which of four patterns of clinical signs the hound is presenting. If the disease is caught immediately, before rapid progression, up to 50% of hounds could potentially respond favorably to rapid treatment.

I have Care of The Racing and Retired Greyhound. If needed, if you want to PM me, perhaps I could read that section to you.

Dick is correct. B. Fenwick is the name quoted in this book.

I can't honestly say I have ever seen a case of Alabama Rot. We have treated multiple cases of strep/staph infections that presented like Alabama Rot.

The vet who did all the heavy research on Alabama Rot years ago (I can't remember his name and Google isn't helping just now), told me he believed Alabama Rot no longer exists.

I think this "name" is now being applied to other, similar, flesh destroying diseases/syndromes.

When we successfully treated it, we caught it early and hit it hard with heavy duty antibiotic cocktails and IV fluids. Once it goes beyond a single lesion, you probably won't save the dog. We managed to keep some alive for many months, only to tragically lose them.

I'd say contact the Greyhound Health Initiative (Dr. Couto, and others) to see if they can point you towards some help.

Bottom line, it sucks, big time. Nobody really knows what causes it and there is no real treatment.

Sorry!

Robin:

Not sure if your friend's hound eats raw meat, but Alabama Rot is suspected to be linked to raw meats (similar to E.Coli), so it could be present in Canada. The disease is found in the USA; SE Asia; Mexico; it's currently seen in the UK; and other regions. Commonly seen in fall/autumn season.

In a nutshell, it is not always fatal, but can be fatal (in as little as 24 hours) if renal failure and/or thrombocytopenia is evident. Treatments differ depending on which of four patterns of clinical signs the hound is presenting. If the disease is caught immediately, before rapid progression, up to 50% of hounds could potentially respond favorably to rapid treatment.

I have Care of The Racing and Retired Greyhound. If needed, if you want to PM me, perhaps I could read that section to you.

Dick is correct. B. Fenwick is the name quoted in this book.

Both true, it is very rare and linked to raw diet and filthy living conditions, as I recall. I am fully convinced to most of our average Vets have never seen it. By average, I mean local and most accessible to the average people. I am betting all the Vets I have been to over the years have never heard of it. And this is not a slight to Vets is any way. :) I have only heard of one GH being "diagnosed" with it and I never believed the diagnosis at all. No tests were run, a few scrapings were taken and suddenly, after the owners kept prompting the Vet about Ala. Rot, the Vet acquiesced and gave them a yes, is how I am convinced it happened. Totally bogus. I no longer remember if the GH lived or passed. It also was in a pet home. Which is another reason why I believe the "diagnosis" was bogus.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Thanks, all. That's what we're thinking, too. Alabama rot seems far fetched to us, also.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg