Pumpkin Season

Not everyone bakes with pumpkin guts (or Jack-o-lantern brains), but most of us have fed it to our greys. I usually fill cottage cheese containers with the filling (after running it, seeds and all through the food processor) and freeze it. In a chest freezer, it will keep up to a year (although I have never had it last that long). One of my grey friends freezes it in muffin pans and large ice cube trays, then dumps them into freezer bags for pre-portioned snacks/supplements, which I thought was a great idea, because by the time I think to start saving the containers, I usually don't have enough time to save enough. An alternative to canned pumpkin, especially if you have friends and family that just toss it out anyway, and much easier than trying to portion out a thawed one gallon bucket of it in February.

Guest Sportingfields

That is really inventive, thanks for sharing. Much better for the pups without the additives too. I'm thinking pumpkin cookies for the pups might be in order too :)

This is a great idea, thank you. I'll mention it to Bea, who has been eating pumpkins straight up :lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I had seen this sooner! We hosted a pumpkin carving party, and we ended up with every large bowl and pot filled with pumpkin 'guts'. Our guy loves pumpkin, and it loves him back. It has the effect of ... cleaning him out ... but with no impact on his normal poos. For some reason, when Marv gets canned pumpkin, we find out what has been hiding in his stomach that we never knew he ate, usually plastic bits of unknown. :dunno

I've done it 2 ways when I had fosters (that can often use a little extra pumpkin fiber to help firm things up). Pumpkin guts from carving is basically free fibber - so why not take advantage of it!

I've taken the scrapings, laid them out on a cookie sheet and frozen them. When they're solid, break them up and put them in a ziplock. Freeze. Then add a chunk to meals. I've also pureed the pumpkin goop in the blender, poured into icecube trays, then dumped into a ziplock and keep in the freezer.

Both ways are great for adding to food.