Morning Vomit With Bile

I am starting a new thread because Mercury's issue is a little different from previous threads.

In a nutshell:

Friday morning: out for p & p, in for three small cookies, 5-10 minutes later vomiting. This was truly vomiting, not the regurgitation that comes from eating too fast (though that happens on occasion as well). After a day of very small meals, and watchfulness, all seemed well.

Saturday: fine

Sunday morning: A repeat of Friday but maybe 1-2 minutes after cookies. Same pattern of vomit: horrendous noisy effort to bring it up. bile, then, cookies, then 2-3 more efforts to bring up yellow, slightly frothy bile.

Here's where it's different from other empty-tummy morning vomit threads:

(1) This occurs after eating

(2) He gets a large milkbone before bed

(3) For the first time, he was kenneled. I picked him up Thursday morning.

After 2 and 1/2 years together, this is only the second time he's ever really vomited.

Thoughts?

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

I wonder if he ate something he shouldn't have at the kennel. Would he have had any opportunities to score a snack there that he's not used to? Chewed up part of a toy?

How is his poop? Quantity out from quantity in? Any change in consistency?

Does he want to eat? Have you tried giving him a Pepcid?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Hungry, plus wanting some grass :chow

Pooping, peeing, snuggling

Hard to tell change in behavior as he's a relatively low energy hound

My big fear is a foreign object. But, would that present as every-other-day vomiting? I get the empty stomach/ acid connection, perhaps in conjunction with a foreign object, but every other day?

If it's only once a day, or every other day, how soon to go to the vet for x-rays?

(edited to add: y'know..... Mercury has a dental additive in his water which is a mild acid. While he was at the kennel, he did not get the additive. Could the reintroduction of the additive be too much for his stomach?)

Edited by Mercsmom

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Stop the additive for a week or two and see. If all is well, then reintroduce.

Is this just in the morning, after a cookie or two but not after a full meal?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Is this just in the morning, after a cookie or two but not after a full meal?

Has only ever happened twice. Both were right after cookies. Meals are fine.

I assume in 5-10 mins the cookies were not really well digested that you could tell? If they were nearly the same as when they went in, I wonder if they never even made it to the stomach?

I'd experiment with a different treat for bedtime/snacks and see what the reaction is. Ryder has slowly transitioned from eating milkbones (as they are so dry) to soft Bacon Strips instead just because the milkbones keep getting stuck in his throat before bed, and he hacks and coughs to get them up if they went down wrong. I find during the day when he's "active" the milkbones don't get stuck (and I've figured this is a result of an "awake" body....if he's been napping for a while and I give him the milkbones, it's like the saliva and mouth isn't working yet!)

Bile means the stomach is empty, and has been irritated in some form. I'd suggest Pepcid as well, but I don't think this situation warrants that yet, since there isn't this reaction during meal time. I'd try different treats first.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Great advice above but would second the change of cookies/treats. My angel Annie had that exact issue before with treats on empty stomach... come to find out they changed the formula slightly of the cookies. Would only bother her on an empty stomach. I gave plain unsalted rice cakes for a treat on empty stomach and she liked them. Also helped because it expanded a little in her stomach after some water, so it helped keep it down.

Good luck.