Stress Induced Colitis

I have had this little girl since about November last year. She is 4 years old. She had a really tough time at the beginning with stress - really not knowing where she was. Amazingly she adjusted in a about a month and is calm and the perfect dog. Had a difficult time getting her to eat but is fine now.

One vet has suggested that she could had have stress induced colitis. I keep a log of what she eats and what comes out the other end. She has improved very well. For the most part, her poops are normal but sometimes (like today) she has liquid poop and some blood.

It seems to me that if she has been running too hard this is when this happens. The weather has been ridiculously hot so not much chance for extensive exercise.

Any ideas? (Tests have come back negative)

Thank you.

Rocket has Stress Colitis and has had it for years. After trying everything possible in the way of food, only certain snacks, etc, the vet finally put him on Tylan Capsules with each meal. He has been good for several years, although we are currently having an episode or 2 of Big D while trying to find a new food that works for him. His old food ran it's course after a few years, and I don't know if there were changes to the food, or changes in him, but it no longer works. Everything medically checks out okay. Tylan and finding the right food were the only things that worked at all.

Tylan is bought in powder form and you have to fill the capsules. It is too bitter to put directly on food. Definitely get your vet's opinion before using it, and have them calculate the dosage.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

1/4t is the dosage of tylan powder that i use for my dogs. i just open their mouth, have the measuring spoon loaded and drop it on the back of the tongue. it tastes awful, i serve them breakfast right after. as bad as it taste they never bolt when i'm administering it. do not mix with food! it will ruin a meal.

Rocket has Stress Colitis and has had it for years. After trying everything possible in the way of food, only certain snacks, etc, the vet finally put him on Tylan Capsules with each meal. He has been good for several years, although we are currently having an episode or 2 of Big D while trying to find a new food that works for him. His old food ran it's course after a few years, and I don't know if there were changes to the food, or changes in him, but it no longer works. Everything medically checks out okay. Tylan and finding the right food were the only things that worked at all.

Tylan is bought in powder form and you have to fill the capsules. It is too bitter to put directly on food. Definitely get your vet's opinion before using it, and have them calculate the dosage.

Tylan + capsules here as well. It is just way too bitter to administer straight-up. Both products from Amazon. Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thanks so much for the replies. This helps as we have been unable to get a straight answer. This was a new vet and she also suggested Tylan powder. The other vets wanted to keep doing more and more tests. The blood is a concern but has diminished for the most part. Again, it just seems that when she runs with other dogs she has an episode. I just read an article that human runners can suffer from this if they push their bodies too hard so that's why I posted.

Thanks, again. "I" feel better now!

I've never heard of Tylan. Am filing this info in the back of my mind in case it's ever necessary.

Question: Does anybody use it for just plain old soft poo that is messy to pick up? Annie's poo is never bouncy hard, but it's usually pickable (new word). Every once in a while, though, it gets real soft and messy, though nothing has changed in her diet.