Only Using Three Legs

Guest javakaty

Guest javakaty

My grey, Nica (5yo female) has started only using three legs. She did the same thing about 6 weeks, and we took her to the vet when it didn't stop for 3 days. They checked her out and couldn't figure out what was wrong, so they out her under and did X-rays. The X-rays didn't show anything, but when they brought her back out, she was walking just fine. They gave us an anti-inflammatory and pain mess (although I don't think she was in any pain). We thought it could have been a pinched nerve or something that was unpinched from the manipulation for the X-rays. She's been just fine for the past 6 weeks, and it just started up again. This time she goes back and forth between favoring her back leg, but still using it, and only using 3 legs. I can tell something isn't right with her, because she is hanging out inside instead of the backyard in the sun with us, where she normally hangs out.

Looking at her pads again, one on her hurt leg looks a little off and drier/cracking compared to the others. Any thoughts on whether that is what it is, or other ideas on what it could be? I'll post pictures when I figure out how to.

That pic of the pad looks "normal" to me. But my first reaction is there might be a corn. Wet each paw pad and see of there is a circular shape on any of the toe pads. Search corn on here to get a pic of what you'd be looking for.

There can be lots of other reasons why she isn't weight bearing but lets do a process of elimination....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

If she's limping, she's in pain - somewhere. Did they xray the lower spine as well as the leg? If the vet couldn't find anything after a physical evaluation, and xrays proved normal, it could be a corn. Does he limp more on hard surfaces than softer grass? Exam each pad, and check in between the toes for any small, hidden injuries. Many vets are not familiar with greyhound corns, so you may nee to research them yourself.

There is a great Facebook page called Greyhounds with Corns. It's got a ton of information (sometimes too much!) and lots of people who've been there. You can also search here, as suggested above, there are many threads on the subject.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest javakaty

They did X-ray the leg and the lower spine and didn't see anything. We've looked at her pad for corns and haven't seen anything, but will look again. Would corns account for the fact that sometimes she is perfectly fine and others isnt? Yesterday she was limping and picking the leg up, so far this morning she is fine and dancing for her food.

I requested to be added to the Facebook page for greyhounds with corns, hopefully I get added today (or did overnight)!so I can do some digging there.

Corns sometimes take a while to errupt out of the pad, though they *can* cause limping long before. A lot of time it depends on the surface they are walking on - easier on soft surfaces like grass and limping on pavement/cement.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

While it's not common in greyhounds, it could be her ACL.

A partial tear would enable her to use the leg to a point, but would also make her not want to.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Tick borne disease? It can take around 2 weeks for them to respond,my first grey had Lyme. Also I know a 10 year old borzoi who was lame. The vets were ready to indulge in a cat scan & mri. The owner mentioned Lyme. ....yup, that was the answer.

Remember these greyhounds travel all over the place and can pick up diseases not in your area.

Guest javakaty

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've been hanging out on the greyhounds wth corns FB page, and we're treating what we are fairly certain is a small looking corn. I'm hoping this is the root of the limping problems.