Hematoma From Blood Draw/blood Thinning

I have a call in to our oncologist, but in the meantime - anyone know how long I can expect it to take for a hematoma from a blood draw to go away? I'm assuming it can take a while for the body to reabsorb the blood, but wanted to have some idea. Also, would warm compresses help?

This is in his neck where they drew blood btw. They had to stick him twice so I think maybe they were less cautious about applying pressure the second time around, but I'm also a little worried about blood thinning because he is on high doses of fish oil and Deramaxx. I want to start him on Curcumin soon, but that also has blood thinning properties. Anyone know how common this sort of thing is and whether it's more likely from the double prick or whether there is some blood thinning. How does one know when the blood is thinning to a dangerous level? Is there a way to monitor with blood work or something?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

They had to stick him twice so I think maybe they were less cautious about applying pressure the second time around

Maybe, maybe not. Kili bruises hugely from blood draws every single time, and I always apply a pressure bandage for half an hour after. It never bothers her but it looks awful because she's white and fairly thin haired on her neck and legs, so it is quite obvious. Thankfully she doesn't bruise like that from surgery.

If there is an actual hematoma (a lump) then pressure and warm compresses can be helpful. If it's just bruising (no lump, just discolouration) then warmth and gentle massage can help to spread the blood out. Not sure if this makes it resorb any faster or if it just spreads it thinner so it doesn't look quite so awful.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Thanks. Its an actual lump, about the size of a large egg when it pools in one location.

They didn't apply pressure for any length of time the second time (I was present), but he has also been bruising fairly easily lately.

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

When was the blood draw? If it was today and there is a lump forming, could still be bleeding. If it is from a few days ago, then did the lump get bigger since then. So, need more information to determine whether issue or not.

There are blood tests for monitoring bleeding but, I only remember the ones used for people and don't remember if they apply for dogs.

Note, I don't usually allow vet techs to draw the blood from the neck because this is an artery they are drawing from and you just don't know the experience of the vet staff, for example, some people just don't hold it long enough, some go through the artery and then back out - all of which creates bleeding. You also don't know if you are going to get someone experienced to draw the blood (think whether you would want someone drawing blood from the artery in your neck and you'll see my point). The back leg is a good draw on a greyhound and the only problem is the the vein might slip away or you might get a hematoma on the leg and my opinion is that it is better in leg than throat.

Having said that, with small dogs, you might have to draw from the neck because you can get more blood from that location and the leg vein would collapse after a point.

It will look worse before it gets better--may take a week before dissipating.

FYI-it's not an artery that they draw from-it's the jugular vein. We (techs) are taught to draw from the jug as much as possible-saving leg veins for caths. You also typically get a cleaner stick providing a cleaner sample.

Edited by tbhounds

Thanks. Vet called back. They said I could do cold compresses and to call if it hasn't improved in 3 days. I'm not particularly worried, just another thing to deal with.

Thankfully this is very minor and not bothering him at all. Its just the moment of panic when I saw it before I knew what it was, etc that I don't really need. :P

FYI-it's not an artery that they draw from-it's the jugular vein. We (techs) are taught to draw from the jug as much as possible-saving leg veins for caths. You also typically get a cleaner stick providing a cleaner sample.

Yes, it is a vein - my mistake. But my premise is still the same, with people you would not take blood from the jugular in the throat.

My vet always draws from the legs and not the neck.

I used to draw blood daily in my job, and occasionally a large hematoma would appear if the person pulled off the bandage too quickly, or I did not hold it long enough, especially on people who were on blood thinners.

We always recommended they use warm compresses, and the larger ones take about a week to absorb back. Treat them like a bruise.

Karen

Guest Bean_Scotch

x 2!

When was the blood draw? If it was today and there is a lump forming, could still be bleeding. If it is from a few days ago, then did the lump get bigger since then. So, need more information to determine whether issue or not.

There are blood tests for monitoring bleeding but, I only remember the ones used for people and don't remember if they apply for dogs.

Note, I don't usually allow vet techs to draw the blood from the neck because this is an artery they are drawing from and you just don't know the experience of the vet staff, for example, some people just don't hold it long enough, some go through the artery and then back out - all of which creates bleeding. You also don't know if you are going to get someone experienced to draw the blood (think whether you would want someone drawing blood from the artery in your neck and you'll see my point). The back leg is a good draw on a greyhound and the only problem is the the vein might slip away or you might get a hematoma on the leg and my opinion is that it is better in leg than throat.

Having said that, with small dogs, you might have to draw from the neck because you can get more blood from that location and the leg vein would collapse after a point.

Us assistants/techs draw more blood than the doctors most days. It's not an artery--It's the jugular vein. Most times the legs are saved for catheters and you can also get more blood out of a jugular vein and it's larger. Only if we can't get blood do we go and fetch a Dr.

Yes, it is a vein - my mistake. But my premise is still the same, with people you would not take blood from the jugular in the throat.

Sorry to sound argumentative but, veterinary medicine just isn't practiced like human medicine. There are numerous practices in veterinary medicine that human clinicans wouldn't dream of doing--I suppose the opposite can be said too.

Why (or even how) the blood was drawn from the jugular is irrelevant right now as it has already been performed. OP just wants to know how to deal with potential issues arising from it. Skritches. Keep us updated.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks. :) It looks much better today so I'm not worried at this point. Outside of the general blood thinning issue because I really want to start him on Curcumin. I will follow up with my vet about that this week though.