Bug Bite? Plant Toxin? Something Else?

Has anyone seen anything like this? We're wondering if it's some sort of insect bite, since we found one on Joy a couple weeks ago and then just the other day we found this one on Gilgun. They're both in roughly the same area (lower back). Joy's healed after we clipped the fur around the wound, but Gilgun's still looks pretty bad, as you can see.

Any advice on treatment? Or what might have caused this?

Thanks!

img_3957.jpg?w=600

i hope you go to the vet for some antibiotics. it looks like a hot spot, my golden would get them after swimming and not getting dry.

Peggy - Pete (Wild Pan Thief), Remy (Exotic Ziricote) Buddy the Golden 11-26-04 to 9-18-15, the KATZ - Ozzy, Freckles, Jake and Elwood Hubba, Desert Tortoises Tortilita, and Athena. and when I figure out how to make a PET collage they will all be included in this signature. I included my 2 most recent fosters. Marie a sweet darling of a girl. And Willie, a dog I want to keep. He is a loveable mushy boy.

c696c116-3584-4443-ba69-446cbc22cba8_zps

Initial reaction is hot spot. Second reaction scabies (unlikely but they look similar). Kasey was treated for both so vet erred on the side of caution, but his was cause from an allergic reaction.

Keep it clean and put some polysporin on it to reduce infection and speed healing. Keep an eye on it. Usually there can be more than one spot so take a look elsewhere and treat the same way. If they don't improve go get it checked out. That one looks large!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks, everyone! With the upcoming holiday, our vet is booked solid, so I appreciate your input! We initially cleaned it with diluted chlorhexidine, but that only seemed to make it worse/larger. We clipped more of the fur around it and have been keeping it as dry as we can. We found two other smaller sores beneath it and clipped the fur around them, too. It's so puzzling!

Are you SURE they are not wounding themselves on something they brush up against etc. or even doing it to each other. I have had greys get competitive with each other and inflict little wounds like that when they bit each other through their muzzies.

Are you SURE they are not wounding themselves on something they brush up against etc. or even doing it to each other. I have had greys get competitive with each other and inflict little wounds like that when they bit each other through their muzzies.

I'm pretty sure they're not doing it to each other; we've been leash walking them this past month, and they're pretty quiet indoors. They often brush up on plants on our walks, though, and we do live in a wooded area. I don't know what plant would cause this, though?

Cow parsnip? http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/html/stories/1999/jun99/parsnip.htm

It's all over the place, there are warning signs on the trail I walked Lila on today. It sounds like dogs can be affected, especially those with light or sparce fur. Greys fit the sparce fur part.

Hope you can figure it out.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Cow parsnip? http://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/html/stories/1999/jun99/parsnip.htm

It's all over the place, there are warning signs on the trail I walked Lila on today. It sounds like dogs can be affected, especially those with light or sparce fur. Greys fit the sparce fur part.

Hope you can figure it out.

I'd never heard of that--thank you! We'll be on the lookout for it!