Tooth Brushing Technique Tips Wanted...

I've been brushing Charlie's teeth daily since we got him and Daisy had a dental just before Christmas and I've been religiously brushing on a nightly basis. I didn't clean Daisy's teeth before her dental as I was worried about putting her off if her gums were already a little inflamed. She's being pretty compliant, one difficulty is she tries to eat the toothpaste while I'm trying to brush but I can get most of her teeth. I'm trying to be thorough but there's a few things I'm wondering if some more seasoned brushers could help with:

1. If their mouth is closed some of the back bottom teeth are difficult to get at - is there a way of getting to them?

2. Is it just one tooth that's at the top back, completely out of sight? I have been listening for the sound of the brush on this one - is this a case of guesswork? There's sometimes a little bit of blood on the brush and I assume this means I'm sometimes catching the gum.

3. The video I watched showed the brush being used back and forwards rather than circles - is back and forth the way to go?

4. Front teeth - neither hound is keen on their front teeth being brushed and we leave this until last as this is where they are less patient. I just do these as quickly as possible.

5. While being as thorough as possible I'm cleaning their teeth quite quickly (not as long as I spend on mine). Is this the way to go? I'm trying to build up but probably reckon on about 45 seconds - 1 minute per dog.

Any tips gratefully appreciated.

One of my dogs has a teeny molar as well. Even my vet couldn't clean it. As you may have read greyhounds don't have wonderful teeth. Part is genetics,part is the design of their long snouts. You can experiment with a finger brush or anything that feels comfortable in your hand. Keep up the consistent work and see what products (geks,paste,sprays) work for your pups.

We brush dogs' teeth when dog is standing up and away from his/her bed

(e.g., soon after a meal or after coming in from a potty outing)

or we go to the dog and happily lead dog into kitchen to brush teeth while dog is standing up.

Reasons: Dogs' beds should remain their safe, undisturbed place.

Dogs should never be called to "come" to their human for anything that is not fun for the dog.

(Otherwise, dogs quickly learn to avoid responding to their owner's call to "come", even in an emergency.)

Use a "dog toothbrush" (soft bristle with long handle); plus enzymatic toothpaste made for dogs.

One example: C.E.T. poultry flavor toothpaste for pets.

Pet toothpaste is made to be safe for pets to swallow. Do not use toothpaste made for humans.

1. Run a new toothbrush under warm water to further soften the bristles before initial uses.

2. Squeeze a small amount of pet toothpaste on toothbrush.

(I allow hounds to lick a little pet toothpaste off the brush first to encourage a happy experience.)

3. Lift dog's lip on one side to brush the outside surfaces of the teeth. Very GENTLY brush teeth in a circular motion.

(If dog doesn't tolerate circular brushing on back molars, it's okay to brush molars horizontally until dog better adjusts to daily tooth brushings.)

Brushing the entire mouth only takes a minute or so.

I brush in sections (upper teeth first, then lower teeth): I start with upper back molars brushing 12-20 strokes (stroke# depends on dog's comfort tolerance; vets taught me to brush minimum 12 strokes).

Then move to upper center section pre-molars, then front long canines and front small incisors. (Front upper + lower teeth can be brushed at once.)

Let go of dog's mouth to allow a little break.

Repeat uppers on other side of mouth, then lowers.

Tips:

- When brushing lower back molars, I gently place a thumb/finger in between center section (premolars) to slightly open dog's jaw 1/2" to 1" to gain access to lower back molars.

To answer your question: There are 2 smaller molars (one molar on each upper side) at the back of the large molars.

- A most common mistake is brushing too hard. Plaque is soft and can be removed with very gentle brushing, which also provides dogs a more pleasant brushing experience.

- If a dog has a tooth that is a little sensitive, I wait to brush that tooth last.

If trying to keep a sore tooth clean prior to an upcoming veterinary dental, a new, clean water bottle can be used to squirt a flow of water to dislodge food. (Helpful for dogs who eat canned food.)

- Ensure your hound's brushing experience is friendly, positive, and happily praised when finished. :)

ETA: Here's Virbac's tooth brushing video. It's the best I found in recent years (but I can't review it at the moment to ensure it's the same video): http://www.virbacpets.com/dog/category/dog-teeth-and-mouth

Edited by 3greytjoys

Thank you both - that is incredibly helpful stuff and much appreciated.

I did start cleaning teeth standing up but through trial and error it seems to work better with them lying down - ideally sitting up but Charlie sometimes falls asleep during brushings now.

I have also been using a dental scraper to remove small bits of plaque.

There is a little wee tooth at the very back that is so difficult to get to. Thankfully, my Ryder had both of those pulled last year (and it didn't grow back ;) so I'm lucky I don't have to do any funny maneuvers back there).

I use a dental spray which has done very well in keeping the majority of Ryder's mouth clean. After his latest dental though, I have been brushing only the teeth that develop the bad gunkiness. IMO something is better than nothing.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

• 4 months later...

There is a little wee tooth at the very back that is so difficult to get to. Thankfully, my Ryder had both of those pulled last year (and it didn't grow back ;) so I'm lucky I don't have to do any funny maneuvers back there).

I use a dental spray which has done very well in keeping the majority of Ryder's mouth clean. After his latest dental though, I have been brushing only the teeth that develop the bad gunkiness. IMO something is better than nothing.

XTRAWLD, Which dental spray do you use?

I've using the Virbac poultry paste and I find the results very impressive, although I can't reach the inner side of the tooth, so outside looks perfect, but inside is a mess and bad breath also.

I'm brushing my dog's teeth everyday and I was wondering if everybody does, this topic in the forum gave a good image that, yes this is the way it is, continue to brush everyday.

This tip from my vet has really helped make cleaning Wendy's teeth easier. I buy the cheapest knee-high stockings I can find (you can use your old pantyhose, as well), cut them up into finger sized pieces, smear them with Virbac toothpaste and moisten. I wrap my index finger and thumb each with a piece of stocking; that way I can clean both lingual and buccal surfaces at the same time, and use just my index finger for the "way-back" teeth. Since I am a cheapskate thrifty, I wash the "brushes", let them dry, and reuse them till they wear out. Hope this helps!

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".