Anyone Else Have A Fitbark?

krissy

I got Kili a FitBark about a week and a half ago. We're having a lot of fun with it, and it's keeping me motivated to make sure the dogs get more exercise. In the summer we get plenty of exercise, but in the dead of winter it can be challenging in Edmonton. We have been fortunate that the winter has not been too bad so far, but the days are still very short which really limits our running time on work days.

The picture is a little blown out, but here it is on her collar. It's a great size, easy to use, super light. Kili doesn't even notice it.

581856_10101442017533309_320784150814257

And this is what the tracking app looks like on my iPad. You can click on each of the 1 hr increments to get a break down of how many minutes your dog was resting, active, and playing. Last week we missed our goal a couple of times by only a couple of points - close enough!

12509598_10101448340641749_7294445688135

One of the "creative" ways we stay active in the winter is by going to a local doggy daycare that offers a treadmill service. We discovered it at the very end of last winter, so I took her for their complimentary first try. Now that it's getting cold again I bought a membership and plan to take her once or twice a week regularly. She takes to the treadmill quite well - I got her up to a trot last week on only her second time ever on the treadmill.

12540542_10101448340452129_3448697095905

The one thing I would say about the FitBark that I think needs to be tweaked, is the settings for "active" and "play" - or perhaps they need a fourth setting. I have found that a walk registers in as "play", and because I'm pretty sure there's also some sort of multiplier for consecutive minutes active, a 30 minute leash walk actually scores more points than short, intense bursts of energy. For example, the one day we went to flyball practice for 3 hours and she didn't make her goal that day. She was out for about 4 turns, each probably under 10 minutes apiece, so total time "playing" was not very much, however flyball is an intense sport so I'm pretty sure she burned more calories than she does on a leisurely leash walk around the block. That said, as an estimate of activity, it's still pretty useful.

I also enjoy looking at her data from overnight and when I'm away at work. It's fun to see a random hour where she had a lot of activity (at like 2 AM for example), or that she logged 2 minutes of "play" at 3 PM while I was at work (and she's in a crate).

Anyone else here have a FitBark? PM me and we can add each other as friends!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

as my generation would say, "electronic toy"!!! BUT I DO WANT TO KEEP TRACK OF KILI'S ACTIVITIES!!!PLEASE POST!!

that's the fun of those devices. enjoy!!! i wonder if KILI was running in her sleep and twitching away at 2am. i'm most curious about her nightly adventures now!!! and i guess this device has never played fly ball- great work out KILI!!

Super cool! Do you know what the activity level of a greyhound should be - i.e. how do you know what you are aiming for as a goal?

You've given me an idea about the treadmill though. How would I go about searching for one available at a daycare that I could use? I have forever been longing to get Ryder on a treadmill and work on that at home, but the fact that they are heavy and expensive have held me back because if he doesn't like it, the return would be crazy (and maybe they wouldn't even take it back!)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Super cool! Do you know what the activity level of a greyhound should be - i.e. how do you know what you are aiming for as a goal?

You choose your own goal. There are 3 broad categories and then you can fine tune it from there. There's "Average" (50 percentile) which is around 3000-4000 points I think. The next one up is the one Kili is in which is considered "Active" (75 percentile) at 9400 points. And then there's "Olympian" (90th percentile) which is 12,000. But you can choose exactly what you want, those are just starter guidelines. It also tells you how your dog is doing compared to "similar dogs". So Kili's average is something around 8,000 and similar dogs (i.e. other greyhounds and similar breeds/mixes) are averaging around 6,000.

You've given me an idea about the treadmill though. How would I go about searching for one available at a daycare that I could use?

I'm not sure how you would find a facility, Kili's chiro told me about the place we go to because she works out of the facility once a month. When I google "Dog treadmills Edmonton" it's the first hit that comes up. You could try just cold calling doggy daycares, veterinarians, and canine rehab facilities near you and someone may eventually be able to steer you to a place that has them for recreational use. The treadmill is really awesome for the winter. I have no use for it in the summer when Kili goes jogging and biking with me, and we can hike off leash at almost any hour of the day (best part about Edmonton is that it's light out until 11 PM in the summer). Kili has taken to the treadmill really quickly, and it's a great way to bang out half an hour or an hour of steady exercise. She seems to enjoy it too which is important.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I've never heard of it. It's cool and a "toy" that I would use with Annie if there was something to track. LOL At almost 8-1/2, she's well into retirement, and other than our walks (most days 2-3 miles between two walks), she has no interest in doing anything except sleeping, eating and making sure she knows where I am in the house.

I have wanted one too (maybe more to motivate ME than the dog. lol). Teague is not overly active, especially in winter (2 walks per day and then mostly sleeps), so I don't know if I want to shell out $100 for it. It would be interesting and fun to track things though...especially in nice weather when we do more hiking. I was thinking it might motivate me to do a "little extra" during our walks. Do you know where you can get the best deal on one??

Kili missed her goal by just a couple of points a couple of days last week (like literally by one point on Sunday), so it's really not as bad as it looks. lol. So far this week I think she had her best day ever, and has hit her target twice already. She should make her target today too because it's treadmill day!

12507514_10101453427377889_7385558670980

I have wanted one too (maybe more to motivate ME than the dog. lol).

that I would use with Annie if there was something to track. LOL At almost 8-1/2, she's well into retirement, and other than our walks (most days 2-3 miles between two walks), she has no interest in doing anything except sleeping, eating and making sure she knows where I am in the house.

To me, this is the whole point of the FitBark really. Yes, it tracks the current activity, but the point of tracking the activity is to give you a kick in the pants or a pat on the back. Just because a dog enjoys being lazy, doesn't mean a little extra activity wouldn't be beneficial to them. Summit is happy to sleep pretty much all day, but he gets a lot of benefits from activity as he ages. For an older dog outings and exercise keep the mind sharp, and maintain the muscles and joints to keep them in better shape for the long haul. He doesn't run like mad very much anymore, but he enjoys getting out and smelling the roses (or the pee mail). He still happily trots along for an hour long hike on the trails (meanwhile Kili is madly zooming and doing triple distance) and when I tell people he's almost 11 they are always surprised, commenting on how he's in such great shape and still has so much muscle tone. As for Kili, she has learned how to mostly have an off switch and she doesn't NEED that much exercise, but boy does she love it when she gets to do more, even in the winter. Most of the time, even though she's chilling on the couch, if I get my butt motivated to go for a walk she is absolutely overjoyed. I've probably taken her winter activity level up by about 40% compared to last year, and Summit's maybe 20% just because of the FitBark. I'm a fan.

Do you know where you can get the best deal on one??

I got mine during the Boxing Week sales, which was nice. They carry them at Best Buy. I suppose you might be able to get one cheaper on Amazon or something.

Like us on Facebook!

• 2 weeks later...

Kili racked up almost 5000 points in 60 minutes on the treadmill tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBj2G1pETO4

Like us on Facebook!

Now you just need to get her some designer gym wear. :)

OMG... Retro 70's aerobics gym wear! That would be amazing. In hot pink of course.

Like us on Facebook!

• 3 years later...