Senior Specific Testing

LaFlaca

My Wendy is going to be 10 years old on December 11th. She appears to be in spectacular health for a senior citizen but I'm wondering if I should ask her Vet to do any senior specific tests on our upcoming visit for heartworm check. What do you do for your older greys?

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest FordRacingRon

Well maybe mine is taking me for a ride but we take Leia in at least once a year and we do what he call s the comprehensive senior blood panel and that's about it. The only thing I have stopped is giving her all those shots she is supposed to get every year. She never has contact with other dogs and hasn't for years. She is 12 1/2 and I honestly didn't think we would see 11,,,but she seems healthier now then she has in the past year. I would no be surprised at all for her to see 13.

I'm in the camp that every dog regardless of age should have routine bloodwork done every year. That's a greyt way of being able to trend patterns.

In a senior dog I would run a comprehensive chemistry panel, a comp CBC, a urinalysis +/- thyroid panel. You should also run a fecals analysis.

Thank you all for your insights.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I'm in the camp that every dog regardless of age should have routine bloodwork done every year. That's a greyt way of being able to trend patterns.

In a senior dog I would run a comprehensive chemistry panel, a comp CBC, a urinalysis +/- thyroid panel. You should also run a fecals analysis.

My dogs get blood tests (CBC & Chem) with the thyroid panel every year in addition to a urinalysis. Make sure the urine is the first specimen so you get a valid specific gravity.