Need Your Opinion On Second Greyhound

Guest TeriD

Teri, we adopted our girl from GFNJ and we're contemplating a second (before DH put the brakes on for some legit reasons). However, I will say that GFNJ is VERY good at helping you pick the right pooch, so if Linda Lyman suggests a pup, even if one you might not have considered, definitely listen. :)

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

Teri, we adopted our girl from GFNJ and we're contemplating a second (before DH put the brakes on for some legit reasons). However, I will say that GFNJ is VERY good at helping you pick the right pooch, so if Linda Lyman suggests a pup, even if one you might not have considered, definitely listen. :)

Thank you so much for that!! That's what I've heard. I've met a family in my town that adopted two from GFNJ and they had nothing but good things to say. I also like the fact that all dogs are fostered or in the prison program so they come to their furrever homes with basic training and familiarity with a home setting. That is not the case with NGAP where I adopted my grey. Although I had a great experience with them the dogs are still in a kennel setting. I've reached out to Ms. Lyman so hopefully we will develop a good relationship in the future :)

Guest MurphysMom

Loving the stories on this thread! I am in the same boat, wondering if Murphy would be happier if I brought home a buddy for her; I've always wanted to live in a multi-dog household but the idea kind of freaks DH out! Sometimes he just laughs when I bring it up, other times he flat out says "no way!!" Murphy has no SA whatsoever, but she love love loves other dogs... hmmmmmmmmmm

I tell DH to bring me 10 more greyhounds please, because they're all beautiful and I want to love them all. I figure if I keep saying "bring me 10" he'll eventually concede to just one more ;)

Guest GreyOrchard

Most important is not whether or not to get a second dog, but the right dog, one who will complement yours. Over the years when my sanctuary was in full steam, I quite often had people either adopt two at the same time or would adopt one and return a few months later for a second. Finding the right pair was essential. This was especially the case when someone had adopted a greyhound from elsewhere, but came to me for a second dog because the first one had problems.

One rule of thumb is that if you have a young and silly greyhound, it's often a mistake to get another young and silly one. Best to get a slightly older one who is a bit settled and can act as a model to follow as well as an occassional playmate. The sex of the dog generally does not matter as much as the age and temperament.

If you aleady have an older greyhound, another one the same age or younger makes for excellent companionship.

When "pairing up" the new and established dogs, there are a range of things you can do to "create" a pairing. So often people leave it up to the dogs "to see if they like each other". Rather, you can orchestrate introductions so that all goes well. Since I don't have kennels here and the dogs lived in small groups, getting the introductions right was vital.

The ideas above about selection were all told to a friend in the US, for example, who had one very goofy young greyhound and after visiting here several times realized she wanted a companion for him. When she returned to the US, she set out to adopt a slightly older calmer bitch. However, she came home with a very young bitch who was shy at the rescue center, and thought this was a good sign. Instead, the shyness faded quickly and she became more than a bit of a monster. The friend phoned me in tears one day, she was so frustrated by their collective behaviour. She was actually thinking of returning the second dog, but I convinced her to hold on and incorporate various tactics to change the dynamic. However, it was a difficult road and it could have been easier on her if an older dog had been chosen in the first place.

@greyorchard that was wonderful information.

I currently have a 3 yr old female that is calm, sometimes whiney, but otherwise has zero space issues once settled. To paraphrase another post if she's not eating, pooping, or walking, she's virtually comatose. Lol

So I was thinking of getting a slightly older more outgoing (but definitely not spazzy bc we aren't a high strung family) male. That needs to be child and cat friendly. Thanks for your input!!

Edited by TeriD

Guest GreyOrchard

@greyorchard that was wonderful information.

I currently have a 3 yr old female that is calm, sometimes whiney, but otherwise has zero space issues once settled. To paraphrase another post if she's not eating, pooping, or walking, she's virtually comatose. Lol

So I was thinking of getting a slightly older more outgoing (but definitely not spazzy bc we aren't a high strung family) male. That needs to be child and cat friendly. Thanks for your input!!

A happy, biddable, maybe 4 or 5 yr old male would make a great big brother!

Spoke to the adoption agency today. Can't say I felt good about the phone call. kind of felt like I was being quizzed on greyhound parenting and didn't feel like my concerns were met. Or that I was being heard. But it was my first communication with the agency and I'm still going to keep an eye on the hounds coming through and hopefully adopt in the spring.

If you haven't worked with this group or this volunteer before, then you likely were being quizzed on your dog parenting skills. This is an adoption like any other, and even though you have a greyhound already, it doesn't mean you won't have to jump through the normal hoops to adopt another.

Also, not every group works the same. The group I work with doesn't allow adopters to "shop" the website. People apply, get interviewed, have a home visit, and the adoption rep suggests one or several hounds which might fit your needs. Adopters get to choose from those, but very seldom does it work that people get the dog that grabbed their attention from the picture online.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Yes...I completely understand and expect everything you've pointed out. I would question if they didn't. It was more the tone of the conversation that I wasn't too keen on. But it could very well have just been the personality of the person I was talking to. The process would have been much easier if I went through the same adoption agency but at the moment they do not have any cat friendly dogs. Plus I like the idea of this particular agency utilizing foster homes and prison programs.

I pointed out that although I was interested in a particular hound that in all reality I more than likely wouldn't be adopting until spring. Just want to get the business stuff out of the way so the rest can be easy breezy when we decide we are ready :)

Edited by TeriD

Ok. So I spoke to the representative at the rescue I adopted Rosey. They have a cat tolerant and kid tolerant grey available. Male but he's only 2 yrs old. I really wanted an older male. Maybe 4 or 5. And he's also 81lbs which in my mind is big! Not that I mind his size.

What's your opinion about the age? Rosey just turned 3, super laid back, has no space issues, just an all around great doggie.

Go and meet him. :) that's the best way to see if he'd be a good fit.

Yes, your right. But I might not be able to take Rosey bc it's a two hour ride one way.

Sorry, I'm just blabbing right now bc I really just want to talk about it with someone. My husband isn't really giving me his 2 cents.

Edited by TeriD

Yes, your right. But I might not be able to take Rosey bc it's a two hour ride one way.

Sorry, I'm just blabbing right now bc I really just want to talk about it with someone. My husband isn't really giving me his 2 cents.

Is she not good in the car? Mine would LOVE a two-hour, moving nap!

You can't really tell anything about personality through words. The only way to assess his viability is to go meet him. Usually, but not always, the bigger the boy the more laid back he is.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Lol! A moving nap. 😂 That's funny. She's ok in the car. Usually takes her a bit to lie down and realize we'll be there for awhile. But you're right it would be best that we all go. I guess I'll know more once I hear back from the rescue. I asked the rep to give me her professional opinion about if it's worth going down and having a meet since she's familiar with Rosey's disposition.

But thanks for the encouragement and push to go see him. Really wish it was closer bc it's an all day affair when we take the ride down but the majority of the drive is gorgeous and then we hit Philly. Lol

I adopted Walter from GFNJ and then took Walter with me twice to visit NGAP where he eventually picked out Ernie. I was interviewed which at first surprised me and the we moved on to figuring out who Walter liked.

I love the names Walter and Ernie!!! And thank you for sharing your experience. Especially since it's with the two organizations that I've been dealing with. I wish it was a tad easier for me but I'm limited to child friendly and cat tolerant doggies. And in my experience I feel like I don't have many options. I don't know if that's because of specific requirements to be considered cat tolerant or if most greys just really love to chase cats. Lol I'm thinking they really love to chase cats. Thanks again!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! how's it going?

Going very well! Got a second from Greyhound Angels Adoption and his name was WV Speed but I changed it to Petey. He's very outgoing as opposed to my Rosey who is more reserved. They get along very well. At first I was extremely overwhelmed but it's all falling into place. Thanks for asking :D