Vomiting Mucous

Ruby has been vomiting up clear mucous every morning for weeks, and refusing to eat a thing. It is a small amount and she has no coughing with it. She has not vomited at any other time, and will usually, with add ins, eat her dinner.

The vet said he didn't know why she had the mucous issue, but wanted us to give her 1/2 of a tablet of Prilosec daily. She has been on it now for at least a month.

She doesn't seemed bothered when throwing up, just casually barfs and then continues her morning routine of peeing and drinking. Her abdomen is not tender and she has not had a fever or other weird things going on. Poos are normal.

Any ideas ? Would another vet visit be the thing to do ?

Karen

Has your vet done any Xrays or abdominal ultrasound?

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Yes, Ruby gets a bedtime snack of meat and cheese, or a chicken jerky chewie that she loves. She may be hungry, but I would think she would eat her breakfast if that was the case. She usually gets a couple of crackers too if we have some.

No x-rays on her tummy and vet doesn't seem concerned. I am though. She has had 2 vet opinions.

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

Guest AimeeBee

I'm thinking hunger too, especially if she seems to not be in any pain and has no other symptoms. George will vomit mucous/bile occasionally if he doesn't have a little snack (usually a milkbone-type thing or some crackers) right before bedtime.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greytkidsmom

Tiel used to vomit every evening before dinner - just a small amount of bile. 10mg of regular pepcid with breakfast has almost eliminated the issue. Perhaps you could try 10mg pepcid with dinner and see how your girl does.

If she eats kibble, first I'd try a more substantial bedtime snack of about 1/2 cup of kibble instead of cheese (cheese is likely higher fat/sodium). Not sure what kind of meat but I'd avoid processed lunch meats or anything with spices. Unless she needs to gain weight, it's okay to reduce dinner portion by 1/2 cup kibble to keep her caloric intake stable.

If her gums/teeth are sore and in need of an upcoming dental, her kibble might need to soak in water to soften for 10-15 minutes so chewing is not painful. (Very soft foods stick to teeth easily and build tartar faster, so gentle brushing is important.) Refrigerate uneaten soft food within about 30 minutes. If not eaten at next mealtime, discard soft food.

If hounds are hungry with an upset tummy they're less willing to eat.

Separate issue: Calm/relaxed and happy meal times are most successful since anxious or highly sensitive dogs may shut down emotionally if feeling stress related to eating or to their meal environment (e.g. ensure eating space is not crowded/busy).

I have started adding over boiled white rice to 1/2 the amount of kibble twice a day. She is eating both meals, which she has not done for quite a while. I use low sodium chicken broth and lots of water when I boil the rice, then add a scoop of rice and kibble, some warm water, and she wolfs it down. No vomiting since I started doing this. She also looks like she might have gained a bit.

Karen