Kennel Cough

I had to take Grace to the E Vet Wednesday night as she started "honking"/coughing in the afternoon and continued as I took her to the Vet. She diagnosed her with Kennel Cough. She pressed somewhere on her throat and she did the honking cough. She put her on Doxy so it doesn't turn into anything else. She also gave her Tussigon pills. Thursday morning she woke up and hasn't honked/coughed since. Could it have been something else or can KC respond that quickly to the Doxy/Tussigon?

Not to worry you, but honking can also be with a collapsing trachea. Palpating the windpipe did produce the classic response though so it was trachaeitis of some kind. A few years ago a dog around here that had KC went on to develop a nasty and intractable pneumonia which they think had a fungal component to it, absolutely right to try to stop KC infections from complicating themselves.

Could it have been a bout of reverse sneezing???

Poodle lived many years with a collapsing trachea (which seems to be common in the breed) on Tussiogon.

For kennel cough (which can be annoying but seldom life threatening as far as I know...but what do I know?) Robitussin DM is what people that pull dogs from shelters use, but as a new dog Mom an overabundance of caution was probably in order.

We saw it a lot in vaccinated dogs (vaccine only works on some strains) at the daycare/boarding kennel but that situation is where tons of dogs are thrown together and stressed out.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Tracy, that's what I thought too. If something was lodged in her throat, could they do the honking/hack cough? It just stopped so quickly, which I am greatful, but I'm hoping it isn't KC.

If she had an obstruction in her throat I believe you would see more extreme symptoms. She may had irritated her throat causing her to cough. If she's still completely a symptomatic I would stop the doxy. To be honest many clinician's hold off on the antibiotics unless the pet is febrile or congested etc.. Usually first course of action is to try the cough suppressant.

Edited by tbhounds