Bump On Snout (Picture Included)

Guest lulafortune

Guest lulafortune

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what this skin colored bump on my greyhound's snout could be. I already took him to the vet and he wasn't concerned about it and did not feel it was large enough to biopsy. He gave me Tresaderm Solution and told me to use it for 2 weeks. I did this and it did not change anything, it may have gotten slightly lighter in color since using the medication, but I'm not even sure about that. The bump started out very small and slowly got larger and then the hair began to fall off. It started about 4-5 months ago.

Pictures are posted to the link below:

http://library-static.snapfish.com/library/share?token=ClB5TBz9IRIt7m5H8geXjQ/AUS/27937688277/SNAPFISH&w=snapfish_us&c=snapfish&l=en_US

Edited by lulafortune

Does the bump have any fluid in it? Our guy had one randomly appear right on the very top of his head, and it started out looking like the one in your photos. It never got quite that large though. Our vet gave us antibiotics, which didn't seem to do much, but the bump eventually filled with fluid, and then all of a sudden, after 3 months or so, it just went away... The bump in your photos definitely looks large enough to aspirate. Good luck!

Just a guess: might be ringworm (which is not a worm, but is fungal). It's usually a little more red than the color in your photo, but perhaps the first round of treatment might have begun a little healing(?). If it is ringworm, I don't believe it will go away on it's own without medication. A culture could help ensure appropriate treatment.

Guest lulafortune

The bump is very flat and not fluid filled. He does itch at it, but It doesn't seem to bother him too much. Let me add that the vet wanted to avoid having to do a culture because we would have to sedate him as he can be very reactive.

Seriously? Your vet said he'd have to sedate your dog to do a culture of that? Wow.

I think I'd be looking for a new vet. Yours is apparently afraid of dogs. Or doesn't know how to make a gauze muzzle to prevent a "reactive" dog from biting.

My gut reaction at the picture was ringworm.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Seriously? Your vet said he'd have to sedate your dog to do a culture of that? Wow.

I think I'd be looking for a new vet. Yours is apparently afraid of dogs. Or doesn't know how to make a gauze muzzle to prevent a "reactive" dog from biting.

My gut reaction at the picture was ringworm.

My thought was ringworm as well. I've never seen it on a dog (only on rats) but that's kind of the tell-tale ringworm presentation - round bald spot that itches.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

I find it hard to believe that it's fungal/ringworm as the op mentioned the lesion appeared 4-5 months ago. At this point without further diagnostics it's impossible to determine what it may be. Aspiration, skin scraping and a fungal culture may be benefical in determining the cause of the hair loss. I don't believe you would need to sed even with a reactive dog to perform those procedures. Muzzle and perhaps a light tranq given at home prior to the visit should help ease the nerves. Keep us posted if you receive a diagnosis.

• 4 weeks later...