Peeing In Crate -- Help!

Guest AbysMom

Guest AbysMom

Aby is my retired racer who has been with me for approx. 5 weeks so far. She's a doll and I can't imagine life wihtout her! As an aside, she was racing until May of this year.

She is my first grey and I am so happy I found greytalk!

What I am struggling with is this:

I am away from home from M-F 8am-12:30 pm, home with her for about 30-45 minutes on my lunch hour, and then back to work from and home by 5pm.

For the first two weeks at home, I left her out of her crate, gated in two rooms in the morning / afternoon and probably every 1-2 days she'd have a pee accident. I got tired of havingn to clean up after her, and decided to put her in her crate while I was away. (which I probably should have done from day 1)

She's been doing better in her crate, but still now every 3 days or so she'll have an accident. (again, only pee.)

I keep her on a schedule as much as I can and just can't figure out these accidents in her crate.

Another thing to note, she can't make it through the night without going outside to pee either. Typically she's up at either 1am/ 3 am/ or 5 am. Just once each night. I started to limit her evening water but that hasn't seemed to help.

I'd love to leave her out of her crate but with the accidents, I just don't feel comfortable.

Something to note: when I picked her up from the adoption agency, they mentioned that she had been peeing in her crate overnight, and that it had just started recently. I didn't think much of it however as the dogs there are in their crates for 10 hours overnight.

I can't tell if this is behavioral, or something I need to discuss with my vet?

Maybe my girl has the smallest bladder ever??

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated!! :nod

if she doesn't test postive for a UTI (urinary tract infection) she quite possibly has urinary incontinence, common in female greys (our Rainey had it from age 4.5 on). Rainey was on DES the rest of her life. The other drug is Proin, but a LOT of folks have had serious issues using it -- I'd highly recommend the DES. I think? Rainey was on it every day to start, then after a while every 3 days or every 7, can't remember now. Worked great.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest AbysMom

if she doesn't test postive for a UTI (urinary tract infection) she quite possibly has urinary incontinence, common in female greys (our Rainey had it from age 4.5 on). Rainey was on DES the rest of her life. The other drug is Proin, but a LOT of folks have had serious issues using it -- I'd highly recommend the DES. I think? Rainey was on it every day to start, then after a while every 3 days or every 7, can't remember now. Worked great.

Thank you!! I'll get her checked for a UTI and then see where that leads. Based on what the kennel has told me I'm thinking her issues probably started right after she was spayed so the urinary incontinence thing would make sense to me.... I'll check out the DES too :)

If she does not have a UTI or an incontinence issue I will say that our first grey wanted to go out in the middle of the night, just cause that had been his schedule.. so we had to wean him out of getting up at 2am.

Once we knew he really didn't *have* to go, we could ignore him and teach him to wait until morning...which he did learn quite quickly-- like within a week or so, if I recall correctly.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Hello from Waterloo!

Incontinence manifests as leaking while at rest; if she's not leaving wet spots but actually squatting to pee it's not that. But vet check is in order. Meanwhile, how much do you walk her or let her out and are you sure she's really emptying? Are you making sure she goes as late at night as possible, right before you go to bed?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest AbysMom

Hello from Waterloo!

Incontinence manifests as leaking while at rest; if she's not leaving wet spots but actually squatting to pee it's not that. But vet check is in order. Meanwhile, how much do you walk her or let her out and are you sure she's really emptying? Are you making sure she goes as late at night as possible, right before you go to bed?

Love finding Iowa people here!

To answer your questions: she always gets walked in the morning before we leave for work 15-20 min, and in the evenings 15-20 mins. I also try to take her on a longer walk 3x/week after I get home from work, 45 mins or so. We take her out right before bed which she doesn't like very much because who wants to go outside and pee when you can just stay in your bed?! :D

I THINK she's emptying? She certainly seems to be. By the end of our walks when she smells something and goes to squat, not much comes out anymore. When she goes out in the yard she pees for a good 8-10 seconds just about every time.

The other thing I've found with one of mine, Brandi, is that she's got her bladder situated slightly further into her pelvis than 'normal'. This means that she does actually have less capacity. I'd still xhexk for UTIs etc, and then take it from there though.

Say we determine that Aby has a small bladder like your Brandi... has that been an issue / how have you managed that with her? I'm just struggling with the fact that at this point 4-5 hours away causes an accident...

And just a general PS -- thank you to everyone for your responses. This was my very first post and I feel like I've already found a community here :yay

Brandi can now last about 6 hours, which in fairness is about my limit too!

I've trained her to use a litter box, though I've had to dourcexa car drainage tray from my mechanic to give her room to step on, squat and have her rear end over the litter rather than the floor. But I'd check everything else first.

Guest AbysMom

Have an appointment at the vet tomorrow.

What confuses me is that for the last 2 days she has peed in her crate both in the morning and afternoon while I've been at work. However, she has slept 7 hours straight at night?

Is there a chance her crate just stresses her out? Should I try to leave her out?

And to answer your question --

Just want to clarify that you are letting her out when you come home mid-day?

This sounds like a UTI to me.

Yes, she's let out at lunch and at this point I have not left her home longer than 5 hours.

Guest AbysMom

Vet this morning said she has a mild UTI. White blood cells in her urine. Got on some meds. Hopefully this solves the issue! Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts on this. :nod