Lump On Top Of Leg... Freaking Out!

Guest karilynn

Guest karilynn

Hi all -

My greyhound is 5 and a half and I recently found a lump on the top of his leg... the size of a pea and it is under his skin. I had an appointment with my vet next week to have his nails trimmed and figured I'd have the vet look at it then but last night he started licking at it profusely and it was bleeding, kind of? More oozing than bleeding. Anyway, it's REALLY bothering him and now he's acting weird, like lethargic and last night he slept on my bedroom floor, which he has never done. I have a vet appointment for later today, but I am really having a hard time keeping calm. I read a few things online about mast cell tumors and now I'm truly terrified that this is what that is...

Anybody have any ideas on what this could be? I'm scared and looking for NON-cancer possibilities to calm me down before his vet appointment later today

Here is a picture of it:

12030398_10101457306454972_2217853268704

Breathe-don't freak out. It's small so no matter what it is they can remove it if nec. Because it's itchy it could be a mct OR the more likelihood it's a histiocytoma. Luckily they are both very easy to aspirate and identify the cells. Most clinicians can check the slide during your visit.

If it is a mct it's located in a very good area for excision--lots of area to achieve wide margins. Of course that said don't get ahead of yourself. If I was a betting person my money is on a histiocytoma.

As a non-cancer idea I will submit this. He could have gotten a very small puncture wound which now has a bit of infection. Sometimes small punctures seal up so fast you never see them. In some cases it can form a small abscess & those can really hurt. Don't think dark thoughts yet. Hope the appointment goes well.

Edited by kudzu

Guest karilynn

thank you, both of you, for your replies.

Are histiocytomas typically not itchy? :-\ This is definitely itchy. I am crying so hard, I don't even know how I'll drive to the vet clinic. My biggest fear is losing him and I know it'll happen someday, but I thought I had years before I had to even think about it.

Some of my dogs have licked their histiocytomas and some have not. The one in your photo may look worse because of the licking. Perhaps try putting some boxer shorts on him to cover it adn deter licking. Histiocytomas generally go away on their own.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Not as likely as what others have suggested, but it could be a cyst (not cancer) that flared up, they can get painful really, really fast, and so if he started messing with it. Again, get it checked, but if it's this, it also wouldn't be a big deal, although with a flareup and a safe location to remove it, your vet probably would.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest OPointyDog

Looks like a histiocytoma to me, too - they are benign and go away on their own.. Mine licked hers, too. Sometimes I think the skin gets drawn up around them, and I think they can itch a bit. A vet will be able to tell you pretty quickly what it is.

I wonder if his behavior is because he sees that you are freaking out? I know its hard not to jump to conclusions (I do the same!) but best guess is that this will be very treatable.

Guest karilynn

Hi all - just an update... it was just a cyst. The vet popped it and he said it's a bit infected so I'm giving him a topical ointment and preventing him from licking at it.

Thanks again for the replies! Looks like I panicked for nothing. (not out of the ordinary behavior for me lol)

Hi all - just an update... it was just a cyst. The vet popped it and he said it's a bit infected so I'm giving him a topical ointment and preventing him from licking at it.

Thanks again for the replies! Looks like I panicked for nothing. (not out of the ordinary behavior for me lol)

Just FYI, drained/popped cysts can reoccur. Again, not a crisis, not cancer, but if it reappears and flairs up, they will probably want to remove it, because the only way to prevent re-occurrence is usually to remove the exterior sac, but that's usually fairly minor and done during a dental if possible.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.