Is It The Kibble? Is It The Carrots? Is It Stress?

Guest mgodwin

Guest mgodwin

I've had my sweet baby Ginny about 5 months now (a very short time I know). Since I brought her home she has been on Eukanuba large breed and has had room clearing gas. At first I attributed it to adjustment stress which may of course still be the case but I'm wondering if something else might be going on. In addition to the gas she's also had soft but formed stools. Well, after a bout of diarrhea a couple of months ago and has been getting 1 tbsp of Olewo carrots spread over 2 meals which has helped the stools tremendously. They're always firm and easy to pick up unless its not the first deposit made in the last 3-4 hours. Those stools are always a bit softer and more difficult to pick up but I expect that. Her gas on the other hand, is another story. There is still no change with the gas and she's also been doing a lot more licking. Because her skin also looks somewhat pink and irritated, usually in the morning, I'm wondering if she might not have a food allergy. Thoughts?

Guest elizabeth7418

I started to give my Addy Olewo carrots to help with her digestive issues, and her feet immediately turned pink and irritated. I stopped the carrots and her feet cleared up. I'm assuming that, since nothing else in her diet or environment changed, she's allergic to the carrots. Did Ginny's skin issues start around the same time as you started feeding her the carrots?

I've been giving Addy NaturVet Digestive Enzymes (http://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Digestive-Enzymes-Probiotic-1-Pound/dp/B009O31QXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441212610&sr=8-1&keywords=naturvet+probiotics+for+dogs&pebp=1441212614619&perid=1DF1ZRW4368701QB3CMJ) for four months now with huge success. Her stools are nice and firm and her once room-clearing gas is almost nonexistent.

After 5 months, I'd just try a new food personally. If you have to put all kinds of additives in a food to make it work, it is time to switch imo :)

I agree. If it's been 5 months on the same food without anything really changing, I'd give another kibble a go. Don't change excessively from one bag to the next. Let her system get used to one new food again for a month or two and see how it goes. Every dog manages food differently and what might work fabulously for one, might be a disaster in another. I tried so many until we found the perfect one.

Re: a potential food allergy....excessive licking might just be a coincidence. If she's super itchy and scratching, it's a better indicator. You'd be surprised, but bellies can be naturally pink in color that vary in pinkness throughout the day (I'm assuming that's the location of the pink you are talking about)?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest mgodwin

I started to give my Addy Olewo carrots to help with her digestive issues, and her feet immediately turned pink and irritated. I stopped the carrots and her feet cleared up. I'm assuming that, since nothing else in her diet or environment changed, she's allergic to the carrots. Did Ginny's skin issues start around the same time as you started feeding her the carrots?

I've been giving Addy NaturVet Digestive Enzymes (http://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Digestive-Enzymes-Probiotic-1-Pound/dp/B009O31QXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441212610&sr=8-1&keywords=naturvet+probiotics+for+dogs&pebp=1441212614619&perid=1DF1ZRW4368701QB3CMJ) for four months now with huge success. Her stools are nice and firm and her once room-clearing gas is almost nonexistent.

The skin issues definitely started after the carrots but not immediately so I didn't suspect them at first.

I may have to look into the NaturVet. When it did dawn on me that it might be the carrots I was reluctant to give them up because her stools are just so nice. But, if it's making her uncomfortable then it's got to go.

Maybe try plain yogurt for the gas? We've been using this for the past week or so and it has helped a lot.

Hmm... That may be something worth looking into. Thanks!

I agree. If it's been 5 months on the same food without anything really changing, I'd give another kibble a go. Don't change excessively from one bag to the next. Let her system get used to one new food again for a month or two and see how it goes. Every dog manages food differently and what might work fabulously for one, might be a disaster in another. I tried so many until we found the perfect one.

Re: a potential food allergy....excessive licking might just be a coincidence. If she's super itchy and scratching, it's a better indicator. You'd be surprised, but bellies can be naturally pink in color that vary in pinkness throughout the day (I'm assuming that's the location of the pink you are talking about)?

I definitely agree with you that it's probably time to change. I've waited so long just because I wanted to see if it would dissipate once she settled in a bit more.

I wouldn't say she's scratching a lot but she does from time to time. Of course, that's not something I'm concerned about as we all get itchy and just need a good scratch from time to time.

The rule in my house is that if the food produces gas, it doesn't live there :)

I like that rule!!

It can also be the protein in the food. Brady is gassy and has soft poops on anything that the first protein listed is chicken. Roasted chicken does not have same effect on him. He is eating a lamb and rice kibble without problems.

I have found that the first poop of the day is always firmer and the poops get a little softer as the day goes on. If you use yogurt make sure it is plain and regular, not non-fat.

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

It could be the food. I've changed Peggy's food a few times, not sure if the manufacturers alter the recipe or its a one-off bad batch; or perhaps the dog develops a hypersensitivity to something in it.

I was feeding Duck and Brown Rice kibble but the stool softened and grass eating returned. Now she's on TOTW High Prairie (bison and roasted venison) fed twice daily and topped with 2 or 3 oz of Forthglade (UK) Natural Beef wet food which has no fillers, colors, preservatives or additives. Not the cheapest diet but there's no gas, as with Iams, poops are pick-upable and she has maybe 50% more get up and go energy. The energy has to be down to it being much better quality food.

Don't dismiss out of hand the obvious things like flea-bite allergies and chiggers at this time of year though.

Guest mgodwin

It can also be the protein in the food. Brady is gassy and has soft poops on anything that the first protein listed is chicken. Roasted chicken does not have same effect on him. He is eating a lamb and rice kibble without problems.

I have found that the first poop of the day is always firmer and the poops get a little softer as the day goes on. If you use yogurt make sure it is plain and regular, not non-fat.

I was thinking that might be an issue for her too. The first ingredient in Eukanuba is chicken as well so I'm considering something that doesn't have it listed as the 1st or even second ingredient.

It could be the food. I've changed Peggy's food a few times, not sure if the manufacturers alter the recipe or its a one-off bad batch; or perhaps the dog develops a hypersensitivity to something in it.

I was feeding Duck and Brown Rice kibble but the stool softened and grass eating returned. Now she's on TOTW High Prairie (bison and roasted venison) fed twice daily and topped with 2 or 3 oz of Forthglade (UK) Natural Beef wet food which has no fillers, colors, preservatives or additives. Not the cheapest diet but there's no gas, as with Iams, poops are pick-upable and she has maybe 50% more get up and go energy. The energy has to be down to it being much better quality food.

Don't dismiss out of hand the obvious things like flea-bite allergies and chiggers at this time of year though.

I forgot to mention that she is quite fond of eating grass too. Just another piece of the puzzle that suggests it might be a food related issue I suppose. I've been considering TOTW High Prairie for her. It seems to get pretty high marks on this forum and its not but about $0.20 cents more per pound than what I'm feeding now.

Guest DogNewbie

It could be a good allergy. When we first got Wiley, he had the runs. They never really improved. The best he had was soft stools. After trying the carrots,iams green bags and several over foods, we got him an allergy blood test. I think 8-12 months after we got him? Turns out he is allergic to beef, wheat, soy and eggs! Poor guy! He is doing much better now that his diet is regulated and we know what he can and cannot eat. It was an expensive test, but worth it. They even gave us a list of dry and wet foods he can eat! I hope Ginny feels better soon!

• 4 weeks later...