Kennel Cough?

Hi all,

New greyhound parents here (new dog owners, really)! We've had our adopted greyhound, Redbo, for about 6 weeks now, and we love him to death. Obligatory pictures are below!

Now on the the mystery. We took Redbo to doggy daycare yesterday afternoon, and he started sneezing and snorting pretty frequently around midnight. Today, he's still sneezing, snorting, and huffing but has none of the typical kennel cough sounds (no coughing or hacking or gagging). Some things I've noticed:

• He hasn't wanted to eat his regular kibble but he is drinking water and eating his kong with peanut butter and kibble, treats, carrots, etc.
  • He played and ran like normal this morning
  • He is a little lethargic (or lazier than normal?) but will still get up and run to the kitchen if he hears wrappers or the fridge open
  • Output was normal this morning, but it's almost time for his afternoon walkies so we'll see at that point.

If today wasn't a holiday, and our vet's office was open, I wouldn't hesitate to take him, but I'm not sure this warrants a trip to the e-vet. If you all have any insight into this, we would really appreciate it!

The day we got him... notice his lovely hot pink belly band.

83b7edcb-26d2-4454-b3f1-1ddd1b779c99_zps

A month or so later:

771ad963-3a69-4d8e-8aff-20deba7b4d89_zps

A couple of weeks ago:

a7d81c79-7206-4cf3-b53e-8feadb703891_zps

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Did he have a bordatella vaccine (for kennel cough) prior to going to the doggy daycare kennel? Most places require it.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm not certain, but I think his reaction is too soon for it to be kennel cough or the current canine influenza--or, at least, to be one of those things picked up at the day care visit. It's possible he encountered an infection prior to his daycare visit (so you need to notify them asap). It's also possible they just use a cleaning product he's allergic to.

I don't think it warrants emergency vet as long as he appears to feel okay (but others will chime in). Check your initial adoption paperwork as well as any paperwork from vet visits he's made with you and see if he's had the kennel cough (bordetella) vaccine; and if so, how recently? If he's had the vaccine and he's sick, it's less likely to be kennel cough, but that still leaves allergies and influenza on the list of possibilities.

When you do take him to the vet, call in advance and tell them you're bringing in a dog with a respiratory ailment. If you go to your regular vet with an appointment, get there on time--but not early. Vets and e-vets are taking precautions against infection, so they'll probably whisk you off to a quarantined area. Don't go in early--before they're ready--or unannounced. Don't interact with other dogs while you're there--and that's you personally; influenza can be carried on people's clothes and hands. If you can, get a video of what he's doing--the sneezing and snorting. Greyhounds are notorious for not acting sick while they're at the vets, so take a video to show the doctor.

Meanwhile, keep him away from other dogs. If possible, limit your walks to areas other dogs don't frequent.

About the influenza: https://gvma.memberclicks.net/assets/docs/important_information_about_canine_influenza_for_pet_owners.pdf

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

First of all welcome and Redbo is very handsome :beatheart

Your symptoms don't really sound like kennel cough. If it was kennel cough there would be a dry cough/retch not so much the sneezing. Also, you wouldn't likely see symptoms the same day as the dog was in the kennel.

Do you have a thermometer? If your pup's sneezing is from some type of illness or virus he will likely be running a temperature. If not, it could be that he inhaled some sort of allergen or chemical. Did you check to see if there was anything stuck in his nostrils? Sounds weird, but I have heard of dogs who get grass or other particles stuck up their nose which causes sneezing. If he is snorting a lot, he could be trying to dislodge something.

Good luck!

Normal temperature for a dog: 99.5-102.5 Fahrenheit.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thank you all, I feel a lot better. His temp is 100.5 so it might just be allergies then! The daycare did spray him with some "smell good" stuff so it might have caused an allergic reaction.

He had his bordatella vaccine in May, and the kennel does require it.

Thanks again, you all are great!

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

I wonder if he got a nose full of that sprsy and it irritated the lining of his nose. It would be too soon to be showing clinical signs of bordetella assuming he wasn't exposed elsewhere. I might be inclined to give him Benadryl. The dose is 1mg/lb every 8 hours (never give any antihistamine with a decongestant --that's the "D")

He's a handsome boy--congrats on your recent adoption :-)

He is gorgeous! I love brindle boys!

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

He is a gorgeous houndie and looks like he settled in completely. If you take him back to the doggy daycare, tell them not to spray him any more or spray other dogs when he's around. I think it's odd that they would spray any dog without checking first with owners.

I believe it's standard procedure for groomers - at least for the ones I've been to in the last 20+ years to spray "smell good" spray after any groom unless the owner insists otherwise. It might be possible he walked in/laid in some pee (it happens in daycare no matter how well staffed) and they wiped him down and spritzed him. :dunno but I've seen it happen lots of times.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Okay, so this popped up on his face like 30 minutes ago:

dfd415b4-d516-4326-bf07-1b5e07a2d59f_zps

It feels hard to the touch. We're going to take him to get it checked out, but I just wanted to get your thoughts since you all were so helpful before.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

And the lump could explain his sneezing and snorting, if it was causing pressure that annoyed him.

The e-vet didn't seem to think the two things were related. She gave us antibiotics with the idea that he had kennel cough and said to monitor the lump over the weekend... she thought it might be a bug bite or sting :dunno .

I can't wait until my vet's office opens on Monday. I just feel so bad for Redbo; he seems so miserable after the e-vet.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

Well, if the lump is an abscess or an infection in a tooth (rather than a bug bite), the antibiotics should be helpful.

The e-vet probably has faxed a report on Redbo to your vet, but when you call, make sure they know the e-vet diagnosed kennel cough so they can make quarantine plans for you guys.

Not only does this stuff happen on a weekend; it happens on a holiday weekend more often than not. And your vet's office may be slammed Monday with pets that have had an extra day to get themselves in trouble (not to mention all the dogs that will have panicked during fireworks displays). If your vet's office has an answering machine, or if there's an on-line portal that takes messages about appointments, you might want to leave messages today.

Have you tried the benadryl yet as per hubcitypam and tbhounds suggestions? My old mutt had a similar bump come up on several places across her head. After bendryl they went away within an hour.

Is he trying to rubbing or scratch at those lumps? Coming up quick like they did makes me think allergic reaction to something.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We gave him Benadryl yesterday before the first lump appeared, and we gave him the Benadryl this morning. Now his little face looks like this:

80c1db81-5c54-4613-ba91-8a7413eca78e_zps

0e4e75ed-a111-4d80-a901-bba546408ade_zps

2cf0a95b-90d8-471e-bd37-ef52172802f1_zps

Could the Benadryl be making the situation worse? He also has an orangey-red mucus coming out of his nose. Gosh.

On the upside, when he's awake, he still eats normally and output is normal too.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png

I don't think benadryl would do that. It was the plain benadryl pill with no additives?

My first mutt got lumps on her muzzle from trying to eat a spider.

tiny hada siggy.png

I respectfully disagree with the e-vet. I do think the two symptoms are related--sneezing, orange nasal discharge and now facial swelling? I would ring your vet in the a.m. as soon as they open. Keep an eye on that swelling in the meantime.

Our regular vet doesn't think it's kennel cough either. She aspirated the lumps and sent the smear to pathology and sent Redbo's chest x-rays to a radiologist. Hopefully, we'll have more answers tomorrow.

popos_zpsgq0lbak1.png