Amicar

Guest MnMDogs

Guest MnMDogs

I'm hoping that Macy's CT today will show that she's a candidate for another attempt at surgical removal of her tumor (fibrosarcoma). We have Amicar on hand and I've optimistically scheduled her surgery for July 2. When do we start the Amicar? I thought it was 3 days in advance, but our vet said one day. Also, I assume we should stop fish oil several days before as well? She's on a really high dose for her SLO.

Thanks in advance!

OT - Walgreens didn't honor the GoodRx coupon that would have saved us 100 dollars on the 42 doses! Can they do that???

Amicar is to prevent gh post op bleeding (which usually occurs 24 hrs post surgery) and becomes effective almost immediately so technically it can be given the night of the surgery. That said I have always started it the morning of surgery then twice more that day (every 8 hours)--continue for the full 5 days.

I never used the GoodRx coupon but, I have been told they must honor it.

Edited to add--I would stop the fish oil a few days prior to the surgery.

Edited by tbhounds

The GoodRx site has a number to call if a listed pharmacy refuses to honor the coupon. On a Walgreens coupon, it says this:

If your pharmacy is unable or unwilling to process your coupon, please call 1-866-788-8452 (M-F 9AM-8PM EST, SAT 10AM-3PM EST). Most issues can be resolved quickly.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest MnMDogs

The GoodRx site has a number to call if a listed pharmacy refuses to honor the coupon. On a Walgreens coupon, it says this:

Thank you! I'm calling... It's 100 dollars!!

Did Walgreen's possibly find you a better price in their system than the GoodRx coupon would have provided?

When we were in a waiting period for new insurance to kick in, I took a GoodRx coupon in to CVS for one of my more expensive prescriptions. The tech told me that there were already better prices than that coupon in their system. She found a better discount and I ended up paying much less than the Good Rx coupon. May not be the case here, but wanted to put it out there that GoodRx is not always the best deal available. It will vary from pharmacy to pharmacy and depend on the drug/brand.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MnMDogs

Not unless 230 is better than 130 :P

The coupon I have is for 42 500 mg tabs at $130.00. Even when my husband showed them the coupon and the cost, they said it was $260.00, and they told him the better price ($230.00) was with the W card we have.

Not unless 230 is better than 130 :P

The coupon I have is for 42 500 mg tabs at $130.00. Even when my husband showed them the coupon and the cost, they said it was $260.00, and they told him the better price ($230.00) was with the W card we have.

From your description I didn't think that was the case this time, but wanted to post what I found when I tried to use Good RX. Hopefully a call to them will get it resolved for you.

We recently had to switch from CVS to Walgreen's for prescriptions as CVS lost the contract with the hospital system that DW works for. I have never had so many problems filling prescriptions and it has taken up to 5 tries to get a refill done correctly with the local Walgreens. CVS is trying to re-negotiate the contract to get that business back, and I will be first in line taking my business back to CVS when it happens. I am going to try Walgreen's for one more refill this month, and if the experience isn't any better will probably move the prescriptions to Sam's or Costco until such time that I can go back to CVS. I am not a Walgreen's fan at all after the last couple months of poor customer service.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest MnMDogs

We also have continuing issues with Walgreen's yet we keep going since it's the most convenient. I thought it was just us and our store, but it doesn't sound like it... Good luck!

For Taylor's amputation, he started Amicar the morning of the surgery, and that surgery was done later in the afternoon.

I gave it to him at 7:00 AM before we left for the vet practice, an hour and 20 minutes away.

It was given to him 3 times a day for 5 days.

Thank you! I was hoping you'd see this post :)

How much does Macy weigh? Dr Couto has been giving 1000mgs of Amicar every 8 hours for 5 days to the larger hounds (80ish lbs).

Why don't you shoot him an e-mail to confirm her dosage?

Guest MnMDogs

She's ~74 pounds. I think we're going to send him the CT, do you think that would be helpful? This is the same cancer we consulted with him on before, so I'm not sure if it's needed. If not, I'll email about the dosage if we get confirmation we can try to get this out again. Thanks for that input!

I would totally send him the ct esp because he's familiar with the case. I'm sure he would love to follow up with you. Don't forgot it's a learning opportunity for him too--cancer never follows a true path-every now and then it will throw you a curveball.

At 74lbs he may have you give the higher dose of Amicar.

Edited by tbhounds

We start Amicar the day of procedure....

Do you have a local vet compounding pharmacy? We get liquid Amicar for $15 per bottle which is plenty for several dogs/procedures! And they can flavor it per the dogs preferences :P

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

• 1 month later...
Guest freightsmom

CVS honored my GoodRx coupon for 30 tablets for $49 for over 2 years with Freight, who had a sub q bleed 2 yrs ago and stayed on Amicar pretty much. Had been paying $100 plus for 30 tablets at another pharmacy. I would definitely circle back on that.