Bald Patch On Neck Due To Collar?

Guest Lily

I recently noticed two bald patches on my girl's neck, they are about an inch or two below her ears, on the sides of her neck. They are not round patches but more elongated and sort of following the hair line on each sides on the neck. Her throat is also completely bald but this has been like this since we got her about 6 months ago. Could this be due to her collar? I use a fabric martingale (2") that is lined with a silky material. I remove it when she is inside the house but leave on her tags which are attached to a vary narrow and lose leather collar. I heard about collars lined with fleece or shearling, anyone knows where I can get these? Thanks!

This does sound like collar rub, but a different lining may or may not help. Her neck might just be sensitive to collars in general. I'd first inspect her collar to see if there's anything sticking out and irritating her. Monofilament thread can get little pokey, nubs that stick out when it starts to come undone. But if the skin isn't red, itchy, or irritated, I wouldn't worry too much. If you want to try a different lining, I offer that as an add-on for my collars. You'd just have to add it at checkout on my shop website.

Guest jackied

Hi I just got a new girl zoe and her collar with the tags was very tight and her neck was all red and no hair. They gavevme a new collr fir her and I picked up some Tri Care at tractor supplie. Its for dogs and horses. This stuff works great. Her neck is much better and there fur is starting to come back in. Good luck

Guest Houston1219

We had a very similar situation with Houston when we got him. His bald patch was on the front of his neck, nearly the size of a tennis ball. We switched to a harness on walks and a tag collar that was looser and hung lower on his neck (we just bought a cheap 1/2 inch "small dog" buckle collar and left it on a loose notch. Enough to hold tags around the house, but gave us the peace if mind that he could wiggle out of it if need be.) His hair grew back slowly over the next few months and now it's just fine. We still use a martingale for short walks, but long outings, meet and greets, etc. we do a harness. Both to keep his neck fuzzy and because this paranoid mama likes having a *literal* handle on him in busy places. :)

My vote is "probably not."

If you got her in the winter, she's probably shed that fur at this point.

Many greyhounds have bald necks or partially bald necks, including mine!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Winnie2014

Winnie had some bald patches on her neck when I was walking her with the nylon collar that was given to me when I adopted her.

It's gotten a lot better since I got her a satin lined collar.

I've had two hounds with big hairless places on the front of their necks. Using the same technique of soft collar lining, one of them had all the fur grow back, one did not. :shrug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Sometimes greyhounds can be sensitive to collars made with jacquard ribbons with metallic threads and it doesn't matter what the lining is. The ribbon is all the way around the contol loop and where the adjustment is, those areas are always touching the neck. I hope that makes sense. :)

Also, those thin nylon collars if they're too tight can take the fur off.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

• 1 year later...

Razzy has the same problem, and we think it may have been from wearing a velvet tag collar for many years. We have switched to a leather tag collar and I rub coconut oil on her bald spot and both have seemed to help.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com