Himalayan Chew

Josie

I'm thinking of getting Himalayan chew for Otis and Abbey...

what's your experiences with this?

any digestive problems after? softer poop?

Do they really last long? do they brake easy? can they be a choking hazard? (that's my phobia).

what size do you buy?

Otis and Abbey are raw fed, I give meaty bones to Otis he is a good chewer but Abbey is not, she is a glutton and I'm afraid she might not chew enough..

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

Get large ones and take it away when it is small, trade off with a treat if you have to. When small-bite size-put them in the microwave for a minute or so. They puff up and are safe so no choking hazard then, crumbly. Just don't over cook, they are done when they stop "growing" I feed raw also and they get these on occasion no problem. I'm a worry wart too :-)

Sometimes i break them on purpose and microwave them, they smell wonderful that way and i think my dogs prefer them.

No choking or digestive issues here, and they last a long time for Sweep--too long, in fact, as she loses interest after a while (or her jaws just get tired?). She loves the puffed-up crunchy leftover pieces. They do smell pretty good!

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Guest FloridaGirl

Claymore loves his. I got him the large, and even though it's expensive, it's lasting quite a while. At first he didn't recognize it as a food item, so I rubbed a beggin' strip all over it. That did the trick, and now the tasty flavor of the chew is all he needs. I give it to him and he goes for it for about 20-30 mins, and then decides to nap. I make sure he only gets access to it every few days - it's especially handy when it's rainy or we can't go out to play as much as we'd like - and it's just a great product. No digestive issues to speak of and no whiffy by-products. I can't see him breaking one at all, but I suppose it depends on the dog's chewing power. Claymore is an intense worker, but not obsessive. They all naturally vary in size and shape (even though you have the same amount of product) and I went through the ones that were available to find the longest one - I assumed that would pose less of a choking hazard.

good luck! And remember, if they don't see it as edible at first, just try rubbing something tasty on it - as soon as they get to chewing they'll get the flavor of the chew itself and that will be that!

Guest anniesweet

Dash loves it when I get him these. It usually takes him a week or so to finish one. They don't seem to affect his tummy at all. He will break off small pieces and chew those up before swallowing. I don't think the pieces that come off are big enough to be a choking hazard if he did decide to swallow them whole. One time I must have gotten a bad one that didn't cure correctly, because I dropped it on a hard floor from a height of just a few inches and it shattered into a million sharp shards! I haven't gotten one like that since, usually they are very durable.

Guest Doggone

I get these for Autumn instead of bully sticks or other rawhide chews (messy "end products" with those ;) ). They do last quite a while, and as others have said, when they're chewed down to a size that possibly worries you, pop them into the microwave for a puffed up "cookie" (that's what they smell like :) ); Autumn adores that part the most. :)

My two are not "chewers". My daughter has a 40 pound pit/boxer/lab, etc mix who is THE ULTIMATE AGGRESSIVE CHEWER. She can demolish an extra large Himalayan Dog Chew in about 30 minutes and all other chews/bones/bully sticks labeled for aggressive chewers are like crackers to her. Last week I discovered that HDC has a new product called Tuff Root Chews. OMG. It's a huge chunk of some tree root! Well, it passed the "Baylee Test" because she has had it for 5 days now and has not come close to demolishing it! While I worry about slab fractures and have warned my daughter to keep an eye on her, so far so good.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm envious of everyone who had their Himalayan yak milk chew last a good while...we have bought a few for our guy, but he manages to devour even the large ones in less than a hour, and he's not a big chewer...unless it's consumable. I do like that they don't seem to be as hard as an antler or other hard chew, and also that we've never noticed any output problems with them.

I give Abbey and Otis x-large Himalayan chew this week-end :)

Abbey loves it! she chew on it for 2 hours on Saturday, got about 1.5 inch off.. give her again on Sunday and she seems to know more how to chew it and she got about 1 inch off in 1 hour of chewing...

No side-effects! poop is normal ;)

Otis is not impress and did not even want to eat it!!! :lol: So Abbey will get a second one when she finish hers ;)

Edited by Josie

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop