House Training Question

Guest mgodwin

Guest mgodwin

So, I have a question. I will be brining my new hound home in a month or so. She will be my first Grey and I have several concerns that are running through my mind. One that recently crossed my mind was about house training. I've read that it isn't a good idea to pick up your dog's poop right after they've used the restroom. Otherwise, they might think that what they did was inappropriate. The issue is, the apartment complex I live in has strict rules about picking up after your dogs. Not that I wouldn't anyway as it's what responsible pet owners should do. I just want house training to be as hiccup free as possible and don't want to do anything to set her back. What would you guys recommend? I've thought about praise/treat as soon as she's done then pick up but I don't know how that will work. Any advice you guys may have would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Just pick it up. I don't think my dogs give it a second thought.

Inside your apartment if you're worried about not knowing when your dog has to go out, just tether him/her to you so you'll learn when he/she is trying to signal you that they need go out.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't know where you heard that about picking up poop, but it's the weirdest thing I ever heard and you can forget it. You're not doing anything aversive, just leaning over with a baggie! They have zero interest in their fresh deposit. Any responsible leash walker picks up instantly.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

We lived in a townhouse community when we first brought Sweep home. We've always picked up after her immediately, and I don't think she thinks anything of it, except maybe "why are you harvesting my poop? what are you gonna do with it?" She has had only one accident in the house in the 2.5 years we've had her, and that was pee and our fault because we didn't realize she was trying to tell us she needed out. Don't sweat it. I do always say "good girl" when she does her business, and that's praise enough IMO.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest mgodwin

I don't know where you heard that about picking up poop, but it's the weirdest thing I ever heard and you can forget it. You're not doing anything aversive, just leaning over with a baggie! They have zero interest in their fresh deposit. Any responsible leash walker picks up instantly.

That is precisely why I'm asking these questions. It was something I'd never heard before and was curious about others opinions on the matter.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It sounds as though what I read was completely bogus information.

Best thing to do is get her on a schedule right away. Hopefully they have her on a schedule at the kennel.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

That's a weird piece of information. Yup, bogus.

I will leave a poop down if I'm area-training a dog to one very specific location but, since that's not your objective, I'd simply pick it up and praise.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

That's ridiculous! I'd love to know WHERE you read that 'cause there are probably some other good ones too. I once heard a woman say greyhounds have hair, not fur....

I've had ALL my dogs in condos where you're required to clean up, and not only do I do it as soon as it hits the ground, if I see someone else hasn't, I pick that up too!

What I do is get an idea in the first couple of days of the dog's natural poop schedule. When I know he has to go (for Buck, that's three times a day--first thing in the AM, after breakfast, and after dinner) I will say to him, "Time to go potty" and when I can see him doing his "poopy dance" I'll say it several times, "time to go potty." When he drops his load, I say, "Good potty!!!" like he's just split the atom, scoop it up--and this is KEY. Don't immediately end the walk. Some dogs actually learn to hold it. If they're a dog who enjoys walks, if you get in the habit of ending it as soon as the dog poops, they can hold it a nice long time and force your hand.

I do the same thing with peeing--but obviously different words. Pick whatever you choose, be consistent, and before too long you'll be in the groove. It's important to keep a consistent schedule, and for many dogs, especially newly adopted ones, you have to accept that to them, there is no difference between Thursday and Saturday, so be prepared, at least in the short term, to get up early on weekends if you get up early during the week.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest normaandburrell

Good advice from GeorgeofNE. a lot of dogs will learn to go potty on command. For indoor house training start with the schedule the dog has been on, but be prepared to take him out a little more often at first. He may be nervous, and pace and pant, which leads to needing to go more often. If he does have an accident, take him out right away and clean up the accident afterwards, without reprimanding him. Use something designed to remove any smell, which might entice him to return to the same spot. Congratulations on getting a grey!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jackied

Hi I've had kayden for a mont now and at first he was not housebroken. When we go out and he goes I give him a lot of praise and a treat. Only took a couple days and he got it. Now he runs runs around a bit and I take him right out and he goes. Good luck

Guest Scouts_mom

Sounds to me like that advice came from someone trying to justify not picking up their dog's poop!

You've received lots of good advice. All I would add is that on that first day, take him out really frequently and praise him like he is the smartest dog around when he does his business (he'll look at you like you are crazy, but....). You'll soon get an idea of his schedule. However you need to be aware that greyhounds are not used to signaling when they need to go out, you need to be very alert to very minor signs that he needs out. This sometimes confuses people used to other types of dogs--"but he doesn't tell me when he needs to go out" Yes, he did--you just didn't hear him.