Raw Feeding Update

I just wanted to give an update on what we're doing with raw food and make sure this plan sounds nutritionally sound. I've been buying 1lb tubs of both ground chicken with bone and beef with organ meat. I've been feeding more of the chicken with beef every other day or so. I also bought some mixed veggies to add throughout the week. At this point we're still mixing it with kibble to ease the transition and also get rid of it. When we go raw full time 2% of his weight is about 1.5 lbs a day so that is our goal. I haven't been adding anything else. Does this sound okay? He LOVES his new food!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Sounds great! After about 2 weeks on raw both of mine had body changes. They looked great on kibble, but 2 weeks into feeding raw and they appeared to "de-puff" for lack of a better word. It was amazing! Also, I switched them from kibble to raw cold turkey, so to speak. One day they were on kibble and the next they were on raw with no problems and they were both 8 years old.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Sounds like you are doing everything right.

We did the switch cold turkey, but I know what you mean about getting rid of the kibble. I actually used kibble as training treats.

You can certainly feel free to add pasta or rice. My boys love getting that. They don't mind veggies, and there are plenty of arguments out there if veggies are vital or not to the system, but IMO you can't go wrong by adding some, I just wouldn't focus on lots. You might find you'll be getting runny stool depending on what veggies you throw in there. His poop will be your guide! Peas are relatively cheap and go a long way (mine get peas, carrots, brocolli and cranberries).

You can also consider tripe. It's incredibly good for them and is also a "substitute" for the meat/protein. i.e. you can skip feeding chicken all together if you give the equivalent amount of tripe - but it's not something I'd recommend day to day - in a pinch, if you've forgotten to thaw something, or not enough of it, it's very handy!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015