Moderators

Guest Kirsten

Guest Kirsten

OK this is stupid but I was thinking about it the other day. Do the moderators read everything? Surely not - do you just know if something is getting heated by the type of envelope that appears next to it?

There is NO WAY we can read everything - which is why things slip by us sometimes and why there is a report button - we hope you will use it and bring something we have missed to our attention (or make it so we see it faster).

We do try to look at as much as we can, but have you seen how many new posts we get a day!!! TONS :lol

If something has a lot of views/replies, we try to check it out to see "why" it has a lot of traffic.

So even though there are a few of us, we will miss things.

Believe it or not, between all of us, I think we do read most of the posts. At least, I think I do! :lol Sometimes we might get to a thread a little late, but eventually, they all get read. Sometimes we're alerted to a post by PMs from other members who may find something objectionable and we'll take a look.

Heated threads are not flagged in any way by the envelopes. The envelopes simply tell us when there's been new replies to a thread. :)

paula_sig.gif

~One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all ~

The moderators here are a HUGE help to Greytalk.

When we first started out, I was able to read and reply to just about every post. I felt like I was talking to myself most of the time, but it helped get the forum underway.

Kim ( BarkBack.com ) and I started our forums about the same time. I saw she had a real cool way to change pages. I didn’t know anything about web page speed then :lol So I contacted her, and we helped each other build our comminutes to our liking. Kim and I look after the administration issues of each others forums, in the absence of the other. She is a big help to Greytalk in that she uses the same software on her forum. She knows the ins and outs of administration and is a non-bias moderator as well. Since she is owned not by greyhounds, but a Boxer and German Shepard. She knows how devious we Greyhound parents are and can see thorough our façade.

About six months into it, I began to get a little overwhelmed with the speed at which Greytalk began to grow, I could no longer read and reply to every thread personally. We also had our first “trolls” come by and I could not be around all day to deal with them. This is when Virginia (Greytdawg) was asked to be a moderator. She is a big help, especially since she is in the west coast time zone, so while the rest of us are sleeping, she can watch over the forums. I remember the first time I had to close a thread, I felt so bad about it, that is why Kim (the executioner) is here now :lol

Another six months went by and Greytdawg and I were again getting flooded with moderation issues. Sandy (GHLady) was asked if she would like to help moderate. Sandy was a big help because like Kim, she was able to easily close topics that needed to be. Due to personal commitments Sandy didn’t feel she could continue to devote the time needed of Greytalk moderators, so she turned in her wings a few months later, but continues to visit and is an active member in the community.

Virginia and I kept going for a few months, and were just getting over run. We needed more help as Greytalk continued to grow. Jan was next to fit the bill. Not only is she a great moderator, but she possesses some technical ability that is a huge help to me. I have lots of work to do maintaining the forums as you have been able to see this past week. Having Jan here really helps alleviate all the tedious things like maintaining the avatars, photo album, signature help, etc. She is also a fast learner, so while I am deployed, she can now make sure we have current backups on hand in case of a disaster. (like this week)

Paula (Jan’s sister) jumped on the bandwagon a few months after that. Paula is the word master, she has a way of taking what I want to say (just shut up and deal with it) and cleaning it up to sound better :lol If it is more than 3 lines and coming from me, you can almost be assured it was ran through Paula first. (Not really, but it seems like that sometimes) Paula and Jan both are responsible for fixing many of my spelling typo errors too :colgate

Trudy is our late comer, and our newest moderator. She strikes a good balance between good and evil and in the past has had the time and will to read most of the posts. She also has a good sense of humor and great common sense. Some of the things I read and want to respond too with “duh!” she does for me in a much more polite way :lol

So to answer your question, what do the moderators do?? Well they do a lot. They ensure that this 1000+ community stays flowing in a smooth and orderly fashion, they attend to most problems members have with their profiles (avatars, signatures, lost passwords, etc.) they also handle and steer threads back on course or close them. They can delete, edit, merge, or split threads to help the flow of the forums. They can restrict trolls access in many ways, and they can lend a hand to anyone who needs it.

We all routinely get bombarded with e-mails or PMs from people requesting this or that. You would be surprised at the things that go along with running a forum this size. I know I was, and continue to be.

Thanks for all you girls do! :thumbs-up

large.greyhound_signature.gif

All the moderators do a great job on this site, Jeff has given us all something that has become a part of our everyday life that I know I look forward to. I usually don't go on GT at home, so by Monday I'm chomping at the bit to check in. I'm very happy I found GT, and am grateful to all that make it run so smoothly. You all do a fantastic job, I'm sure there are days when its not easy at all.

On a side note, I can remember when Paula and Jan first introduced themselves on Fastdogs waaayy back now :) Time goes so quickly. Remember the set up of Fastdogs, it was one long continuous thread, it was so hard to keep up with it, I love what GT has evolved into. Thanks :)

Diane

4463Fudgie_and_Goods_draft_2_sharpened_small.jpg

Fudgie 2/27/96 - 8/14/05 and Goods 2/27/96 - 3/12/08 ~~Together again~~

Guest murmurmel

...Cool!!! :colgate I'm relatively new to the board & it was interesting to read a bit about who does what & how you all "keep it together"!!! :rolleyes: I don't envy you-I know it's a lot of work!! :blink: But this really is an amazing forum...a huge THANK YOU to all of you-all your efforts are MUCH appreciated!!! :)

:baloons

:blink: Me? The Executioner? :lol Off with his head!

Thanks Jeff. :)

GreyTalk keeps us on our toes. But it's well worth it. I love it here and feel honored to be one of your Moderators.

Guest Kirsten

It's good to know exactly who does what and how. Thank you Greydad for a very concise answer - I think you have disproved your inability to write more than 3 lines or spell!! :lol

I was wondering what the report button was for and now I know! I shall be sure to report anything untoward I may happen accross. :o

I too am like Diane and only have access to the web at work so I need my fix come Monday mornings. What would we do without GT? Be very bored at work no doubt! :P

Thanks for all you do!

Guest littlemouse1958
They can restrict trolls access in many ways, and they can lend a hand to anyone who needs it.

We all routinely get bombarded with e-mails or PMs from people requesting this or that. You would be surprised at the things that go along with running a forum this size. I know I was, and continue to be.

Thanks for all you girls do!  :thumbs-up

Grey Dad, what are Trolls?

They can restrict trolls access in many ways, and they can lend a hand to anyone who needs it.

Take a look AT THIS ;)

large.greyhound_signature.gif

Very interesting. Thanks for the history lesson.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

• 4 months later...

Take a look AT THIS ;)

Jeff.. This is not what I think of when I call someone a Troll.. But I do like this explaination..

<b>These of course are just my humble opinions and in no way express the thoughts or ideas of the management, staff or members of this or any other board.. </b>
James River Greyhounds, Richmond VA
Homer, Gunnar and Scarlett,... Bridge Kids, Belle, Toby, Tanner, Pumpkin, Dimples and Tyrone, Willis, Duncan, Clea,Cable and Gracie

• 5 weeks later...
Guest auntiesara

I was at a friend's house this weekend. She has AOL, and while reading a news story about the Mars landers I followed a link to a live discussion of the mission. There were maybe two people actually trying to talk about the mission. The other dozen were spewing infantile racist jokes, political rants, and completely disconnected, solipsistic meanderings about nothing at all. You could not follow the thread at all. It was supposed to be moderated, but if that was what got through, I hate to think what was blocked. I clicked right off again. I don't like to believe Greytalk could fall apart like that, but I think it could if these sorts weren't shut right down and sent elsewhere. Thanks.

Charlie

• 1 month later...
Guest alkeryia

I am very happy to have found my way here. It is wonderful to have a place to share our common love, and to ask important questions. Jeff, your piece on how greyhounds do NOT dig...(I hope it was yours! :) ) made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

One thing though,....I look at all your numbers of posts and I think I will always be "wet behind the ears!" :unsure

Edited by alkeryia

• 2 weeks later...