Hello From Southern California!

socalgreys

Hi everyone!

I've just registered and wanted to introduce myself. I don't have a greyhound yet. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". I live in Los Angeles county, specifically Diamond Bar. There is a Meet and Greet this weekend in the area. I have done some research on line and have some questions. For instance, are they really high maintenance? I didn't think they were, until I explored this sight and read some of the threads. Before I attend, I would like to know what to expect at the Meet and Greet. What questions should I ask? I have a small dog-BTW he is not yappy!!! Lol-he is very mellow and I'm convinced he thinks he's a greyhound or a cat! I think I know some of the basics, about stairs, sleep startle, cat/small dog friendly, heat sensitivity, and exercise needs. What else can I learn? Can anyone recommend some reading material?

FYI- I have not completed an on-line adoption application. Right now I am in a learning mode, and would appreciate any advice!

Thank you for reading!!

Lisa and Little Man :paw

Edited by socalgreys

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Hi SoCal,

I've read both the Cynthia Branigan book and the Dummies book by Lee Livingwood. I think either one is OK. Cynthia Branigan also wrote The Reign of the Greyhound.

I'm not sure which questions you should ask. When I went to the meet-and-greet, I just approached it as a conversation and let the dialog flow naturally. I basically told the rep there that she could ask me anything about our family and home; I took my son and husband so that she could meet everyone. The meet-and-greet was very informal and casual.

My two biggies are prey drive and separation anxiety. I know people have other concerns about Greyhounds, but I was really concerned about those two things. Also, if you live in a noisy part of town, you should try to ask for a confident Greyhound that doesn't scare at every single sound although with a lot of urban noises like loud trucks and motorcyles, it may not be possible . . . My area, South Pasadena, is quiet, which actually seems to amplify the loud sounds that punctuate the evenings and nights. We avoid walking on busy big streets. We haven't been around yet when a fire truck or ambulance had to pass, but I tell you, I think even a confident Greyhound would be bothered by that much loudness.

It's good you know about sleep startle. Also read up on space aggression and the need to respect a new dog's space until he can trust you more.

Good luck with your search!

If you are ever in my area, let's have a hound meetup sometime.

Guest normaandburrell

Compared to other large breeds, greyhounds are actually low maintenance. They tend to need less exercise than most dogs, and are famous for being known as "45 mph couch potatoes." On this forum, it may seem like there are a lot of problems with these dogs, because the people who have problems are reaching out for advice. Very few people write in to say how easy their greyhound is!

When you adopt, the adoption group will help you get the right dog for you. Most adoption groups will insist on the dog being fostered before allowing it to go to a first time owner. The foster family helps the dog make the initial adjustment to living in a home, and someone from the adoption group, often the foster family, is available to you for any questions or problems for a period of time after you adopt.

My first greyhound was very easy, and I fell in love with the breed. I fostered once, and that dog was also very easy. My second dog is pretty young and a little more challenging, but still easier than dogs of other breeds that I have owned. Sometimes a slightly older dog is easier for a first time owner. Good luck and congratulations on your decision. These are great dogs!

Hello and Welcome from Illinois! I always suggest to people that first let the group know what your needs are; for instance you have a "little" and so that needs to be taken into consideration. Also, I encourage first time adopters to consider a dog that has been returned. Many, many times this has happened through no fault of the dog (ie: owner has died or gone to a nursing home or has health issues). These dogs already know the ropes and are so grateful for a new home and all the love you can lavish on them! Over the years I've adopted 2 rehomed dogs and they are fantastic!

Edited by june

Good Morning everyone..

Thank you kindly for your replies!! I wasn't sure if anyone read these new topics!! I actually feel better and more reassured now. Can anyone tell me beforehand what the adoption process is like, and approximately how long does it take? There are quite a few rescue groups here in Southern California and the on-line process seems to be the same. The Meet and Greet I believe is through Greysave, and I just saw on-line that you can actually visit the Hemopet facility. I guess I want to get a feel for as many dogs as possible. I just have that feeling, when it's the right dog, I will know it!!

Thanks for the info on reading, and giving consideration to a dog who needs to be rehomed.

I will most certainly reach out in the future as I continue my quest.

A hound meetup sounds fantastic too, Greyhound_in_LA. And I can bring my little guy, since he seems to think he's a greyhound!!!

Again, thank you for your input!!!

Lisa and Little Man :paw

When we adopted our first greyhound, Alex, back in 1993 from the day we first met people at a show-and-tell to the day that we drove down to La Mesa from Torrance to choose from between three candidates it was just three weeks. Our third greyhound, Sadie, was a failed foster after we tried fostering her for a week. We had the home visit and interview after we sent in an application (although I don't recall when within those three weeks the home visit was scheduled).

You essentially tell the interviewer "This is what my home environment is like," so mention that since you have a small dog, you'll need a hound that's small dog-tolerant. If you also have cats, be sure to say that the hound needs to be cat-tolerant, too. If you have a backyard, it should be enclosed. If you live in an apartment instead, you need to mention that.

Besides going to one of their Meet-and-Greet's you might want to go to one of GreySave's homecoming days when they receive newly-retired hounds just to see what these greys are like. Although everyone will be busy working on the dogs you could ask some questions there, too. I know a number of people from GreySave, as well as SoCalGAL, and Fastfriends (we've adopted 4 of our 5 greys from them).

You're about a 45-minute drive from me, so you need an excuse to drive to the coast let me know.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest Johberry

Welcome from Las Vegas! My boyfriend and I were in the same boat as you not too long ago. When we decided on adopting, we (ahem..I) did our due diligence and researched as much as we could. Branigan's book pretty much answered all of my questions. We, too, went to a local Meet & Greet before submitting our application online. Our adoption group was very friendly, informative, and encouraging so I encourage you to not be shy with questions. I mentioned right away that we would need a grey who would tolerate small dogs since we go home to CA sometimes to visit our families whom all have small-breed dogs. We were told to go ahead and fill out an application online and make sure we mention that in the Comments section of the application. Members of the adoption group at the Meet & Greet were very friendly and willing to chat, answering any questions, and giving their own advice and two-cents about the dogs. Pretty much all of them had multiple greys and have long-time experience.

I don't know how other adoption agencies work but I imagine they're quite similar. The Board reviews the application and we were told within a week, if approved, we would get a phone call or email from a Placement Representative who would schedule a home visit. He/she (in our case she) would bring over a dog or two the adoption group feels would best match our situation and what we're looking for. I was SUPER nervous for the home check because we live in a one-bedroom apartment (but we have a bike/walk path behind our complex that leads to a park). The two Reps came with a dog, talked about the dog's personality, gave us an information sheet, talked about greyhound needs, checked our back patio, and asked us questions. My boyfriend likes to talk so it was about an hour-long visit. Afterward, we were told that she would send her notes and our application to the Board who would review the application and if approved, how soon could we pick up the dog. The following week we were able to pick up our boy and our Placement Rep happened to also be fostering our boy which made things seamless. She gave us all the information we needed, a goody bag full of all kinds of things for the dog, showed how to prepare his food/meds, how to put on a muzzle, and even gave us a print-out of his current habits and time schedule. I couldn't have been happier with the way things were done.

For me, it all happened so fast! I was glad I had researched and ordered things ahead of time as we got approved pretty quickly and within a week we had our new dog. Things went pretty smoothly. I suppose it was simply chance that the "perfect" dog happened to be available for us to take home so soon and that we happened to have fallen in love with him during the home visit (he gave my boyfriend kisses!).

I hope things turn out for the best for you and good luck in finding that special dog. :)

Guest greyhound_in_LA

SoCal, you can visit Hemopet, but you should leave your small dog at home the first time. You still have to fill out an application and talk to Betty about what you want in a Greyhound, and they do the matching. You can't just pick any dog from the adoption bungalow. But if you are interested in seeing all of the adoptables, you can go there and volunteer -- take some for walks. Don't go when it's hot because many of the dogs don't want to go out and walk when it's blazing hot outside. I went in the mornings. Betty is there M-Th only.

How long it will take depends on your needs and how quickly a match can be made. A group, not Hemopet, wants the dog to be fostered and evaluated by the foster parent so that a good match can be made. Hemopet is direct adoption except that SoCalGAL actually fosters Hemopet dogs, though, so if you want a fostered one from Hemopet, you should go through SoCalGAL.

FastFriends just had a homecoming with nine greyhounds.

I think GreySave has a few adoptables from their last retirement haul; the website shows some like Kirby that are already adopted, though, so you need to fill out your application and let them know you are interested.

Edited by greyhound_in_LA

Each group is different. I adopted from Forever Home Greyhounds in Upstate New York. I met Annie on a Saturday in July 2011 at the group's M&G. I had gone just to check out the group and the dogs, but was chosen by Annie within 10 minutes. I'll never forget all the dogs sort of rushing at me (on leashes of course) to get the attention they love. When I oo'd and ahh'd and petted all of them, they moved on to the next pushover human, all except Annie. She stayed at my thighs, leaaaannnning. I was afraid to move for fear she'd fall over. I was smitten. I stayed 2 hours, walking her around the store, taking her out for potty, talking with the volunteers and checking out the other dogs. There was no doubt, though, that Annie was meant to be with me. [if I had any doubts after she practically velcroed herself to me, her name alone would have cemented the deal because my first dog as a child was named Annie.]

So I went home, filled in the on-line application and sent a deposit through PayPal. Two days later, on Monday, I got a call asking me to let my vet know the group would be calling for a reference. That night, just over 48 hours after meeting Annie, I got the call she was mine! I picked her up on Saturday, one week after meeting her.

It was really meant to be. In addition to her taking to me (something the volunteers said hadn't happened with any other potential adopter) and her name being Annie, she was also small-prey tolerant (I have a cat) and was fine being an only dog.

My Annie is not high maintenance at all. She makes almost no demands. Being alone for an hour or 8 hours doesn't bother her (I'm sure she doesn't like it, but she just sleeps through my absence and since I'm retired she's not often alone for long). She ignores the cat. She even ignores rabbits in the backyard to such an extent they don't even run away when she's outside. She doesn't go in the garbage or surf counters. The only piece of furniture she goes on is the sofa at my DS/DDIL's house. It did take a couple of months to get her poo straightened out -- or hardened up -- but after I got over the "Gotta give her a high-end food" idea and switching to Iams Proactive Health in the green bag, she's been fine.

Good luck! I hope you quickly find the hound with whom you can fall in love.

Edited by Feisty49

The first "D" stands for Darling (unless it stands for damn.. LOL) but almost always darling. So you get DH is for Darling Husband. DS for Darlinkg Son. DDIL stands for Darling Daughter-in-Law. DD would stand for Darling Daughter.

Edited by Feisty49

On this forum, it may seem like there are a lot of problems with these dogs, because the people who have problems are reaching out for advice. Very few people write in to say how easy their greyhound is!

Agree. Not to say that all greys are easy, but most are. Same is true for the Health & Medical forum -- people don't post to say, "Third annual physical in a row where the vet says my hound is in great shape."

I also agree with Johberry -- don't be shy about asking questions at a Meet & Greet. The more, the better. While reading is good (my favorite basic is Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies), there's nothing like actually meeting hounds and talking with people who live with them.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Not sure who is doing the meet-and-greet in Diamond Bar this weekend, but have fun!

The meet-and-greet is by Geysave, at Petsmart in Yorba Linda. Thanks, and I am doing research. Downloaded book by Lee Livingston!

The first "D" stands for Darling (unless it stands for damn.. LOL) but almost always darling. So you get DH is for Darling Husband. DS for Darlinkg Son. DDIL stands for Darling Daughter-in-Law. DD would stand for Darling Daughter.

Thank you! LOL....I thought "D" meant dear...but close enough!!!

:heart

Agree. Not to say that all greys are easy, but most are. Same is true for the Health & Medical forum -- people don't post to say, "Third annual physical in a row where the vet says my hound is in great shape."

I also agree with Johberry -- don't be shy about asking questions at a Meet & Greet. The more, the better. While reading is good (my favorite basic is Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies), there's nothing like actually meeting hounds and talking with people who live with them.

Thank you for this. It means a lot!

Edited by socalgreys

I also agree with Johberry -- don't be shy about asking questions at a Meet & Greet. The more, the better. While reading is good (my favorite basic is Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies), there's nothing like actually meeting hounds and talking with people who live with them

I am trying to get used to posting in this forum. I want to thank you for your advice. I am going forward with this book.

Welcome from....the City of Angels, Echo Park area! I volunteer with GreySave, they have been amazingly helpful with me and my hounds. There are lots of good groups in our area, HomeStretch in Filmore/Ventura, Fast Friends in OC, and Hemopet in Garden Grove. A little further south there is GAC in El Cajon. I have a feeling I'm missing a group, please forgive me and add who I'm overlooking.

GreySave is having it's fall Oktoberfest coming up in, well, October. It's a great opportunity to meet the fosters, hang out with greyhounds and meet other like-minded pet owners.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Welcome from....the City of Angels, Echo Park area! I volunteer with GreySave, they have been amazingly helpful with me and my hounds. There are lots of good groups in our area, HomeStretch in Filmore/Ventura, Fast Friends in OC, and Hemopet in Garden Grove. A little further south there is GAC in El Cajon. I have a feeling I'm missing a group, please forgive me and add who I'm overlooking.

GreySave is having it's fall Oktoberfest coming up in, well, October. It's a great opportunity to meet the fosters, hang out with greyhounds and meet other like-minded pet owners.

Hello and thank you for this info! Another member here, posted one called SoCalGal...(I think)...have you heard of that group? Just wondering. It didn't come up on any of my searches. Although I haven't done a search lately....just wondering.

SoCalGAL is the Southern California Greyhound Adoption League run by Sharyn and Roger Deeringer up in Phelan. I've known them for a long time, and did a photo shoot of their pups at their place a few months ago.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Hello and thank you for this info! Another member here, posted one called SoCalGal...(I think)...have you heard of that group? Just wondering. It didn't come up on any of my searches. Although I haven't done a search lately....just wondering.

SoCalGal, I believe, works to place Hemopet's dogs who are in foster homes, which is different than the dogs they have in the adoption kennel. BUT, I believe they work with all the Southern California groups, too. Here is a link to their website. Like Steve said above, Sharyn and Roger ron SoCalGal, really nice people. Here is a link to CalGap, too. Here is a link to their page with links to the CA groups!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thank you everyone for your input. It is expanding my knowledge on how many local groups there are here! Exhausting! In a good way.

I have a question, just for information (the more the better, sometimes): what is the difference between a meet and greet, and a show and tell? If any?

Thank you!

:paw