Hello From Southern California!

socalgreys

Guest missecho

One way to do it is to get "approved" by your local group--Grey Save perhaps. Then go see the possibilities at the Petsmart Meet and Greet.

Just took me walking in the door of Petsmart to spot my greyhound. She looked up at me, leaned up against me and that was that--we had a match. Still do.

Hi there. I live in San Diego, welcome to greytalk! I adopted both my greyhounds when I was living in Seattle so I don't know too much about the groups in California. One thing I wanted to mention is that you really should do some research about the groups themselves, then pick one (and only one) to work with. Since they are all run by volunteers, you don't want multiple groups doing the same work as you'll only be able to adopt from one.

The group I worked with out of Seattle for my first dog had both kennel dogs and fosters. It just so happened that Grace picked me, she was one of the kennel dogs. She started her new life in downtown Seattle amongst the hustle and bustle of crowds, trucks, buses, trains, cruise ships, tiny dogs and lots of chaos. She was a rock star and settled in great with me. We learned a whole lot together.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

So it went well?

I'm disappointed. I was so looking forward to going, and wasn't feeling well. I didn't go...Still reading and gathering information. Thank you so much for your inquiry. I am looking at some of the other posts on this thread, and am a little confused. I'm not sure how to research a group. Any help? When looking on-line they all seem to be/say the same thing.

Hi there. I live in San Diego, welcome to greytalk! I adopted both my greyhounds when I was living in Seattle so I don't know too much about the groups in California. One thing I wanted to mention is that you really should do some research about the groups themselves, then pick one (and only one) to work with. Since they are all run by volunteers, you don't want multiple groups doing the same work as you'll only be able to adopt from one.

The group I worked with out of Seattle for my first dog had both kennel dogs and fosters. It just so happened that Grace picked me, she was one of the kennel dogs. She started her new life in downtown Seattle amongst the hustle and bustle of crowds, trucks, buses, trains, cruise ships, tiny dogs and lots of chaos. She was a rock star and settled in great with me. We learned a whole lot together.

How did you pick the one group you wanted to work with?

Guest greyhound_in_LA

I'm disappointed. I was so looking forward to going, and wasn't feeling well. I didn't go...Still reading and gathering information. Thank you so much for your inquiry. I am looking at some of the other posts on this thread, and am a little confused. I'm not sure how to research a group. Any help? When looking on-line they all seem to be/say the same thing.

I think you would do fine with GreySave. You get a support group after you adopt (go on their Facebook group and join). And also join the FB group for GreyTalk!

I adopted from Hemopet, and since it's direct adoption, there's no fostering somewhere else and no local support or local chat group online, just other forums like this one. I weighed the pros and cons.

All of the groups are good. I know people who adopted from Hemopet, GreySave, FastFriends, and SoCalGAL.

you might want to go a group's retirement day when they receive newly-retired dogs to meet their volunteers and see how they do things.

i don't know where you live in los angeles county, but the adoption group (fastfriends greyhound adoption in la habra heights) that we've gotten our first four greyhounds from is having a retirement day this saturday. if you're on Facebook you can go to fastfriends' page and they should have a post announcing the retirement day. or go to their website www.fastfriends.org.

you don't have to limit yourself to just one group, either.

Edited by MrAlexTheDog

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

My first greyhound was from an all breed rescue, not a greyhound group. Shortly after I got him he had a terrible time when I would leave. At the suggestion of Charla, her on GT, I contacted Fast Friends & Greysave. Both called me back right away, talked to me on the phone, etc. I went to both president's homes, but what drew me to Greysave was that, even though Carl wasn't a Greysave dog, they put me in touch with a person in the group with lots of experience. She literally spent hours with me on the phone, asking really good questions, followed up with calls and emails. She did this for a few months and Greysave did it for free for a non-Greysave dog. That meant a lot and, to me, spoke volumes about the group's integrity and dedication to greyhounds - they didn't care that Carl wasn't one of "their" dogs. I've been with them ever since.

When Doodles (Carl's littermate) foster mom in Kansas reached out to me, Greysave did not hesitate when I asked if they would be her sponsor group so I could adopt her. Without hesitation, they said yes. My two were reunited within a few months and she's sleeping on the dog bed next to me.

I've also met some people through Greysave who are now family-close life long friends. Finally, in my experience, when a greyhound goes missing in our area, the first people to show up, help out and stick it out for the duration are from Greysave.

I forgot to add, Greysave has a homecoming this Saturday in Pasadena. You can call the number on the website and let them know you are interested!

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greyhound_in_LA

She's in Diamond Bar, so closer to La Habra.

But GreySave is having some annual picnic (?) in Rowland Heights, so she's really close to that.

You can go to a retirement day and go to the other group's picnic, but let me tell you something I got told. They want you to work with only one group. I got told that directly by my rep!

You can go to a retirement day and go to the other group's picnic, but let me tell you something I got told. They want you to work with only one group. I got told that directly by my rep!

Huh. A couple who I have known for years currently volunteer for both. It hasn't posed a problem so far as I know.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Steve, I think volunteering for both is entirely different than having multiple applications out with different groups.

I agree that going to different groups picnics, events, meet n greets, etc is fine. But I've heard multiple times on greytalk that you should only apply to adopt with one group.

There are three groups I had to choose from in Seattle. One was a foster home only group with very few dogs. One had a very rude president who told me she'd never adopt to me since I was a single girl, lived in an apartment, and worked full time. The third group had multiple dogs in foster homes and in their kennels, had events near me frequently, and was getting new dogs in frequently. It was a no brainer for me. My adoption rep is still a good friend to this day.

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

There are three groups I had to choose from in Seattle. One was a foster home only group with very few dogs. One had a very rude president who told me she'd never adopt to me since I was a single girl, lived in an apartment, and worked full time. The third group had multiple dogs in foster homes and in their kennels, had events near me frequently, and was getting new dogs in frequently. It was a no brainer for me. My adoption rep is still a good friend to this day.

Wow! That is amazing to me, regarding the comment on being a "single girl"....discrimination in the dog world? I understand doing what is best for the dog and its needs, but for lack of a better word, that is just ignorant. I'm glad it worked out for you!

I do plan on putting in an application with only one group. What am I waiting for? It's a personal issue, but I am on an active quest, and appreciate everyone's input.

Edited by socalgreys

Wow! That is amazing to me, regarding the comment on being a "single girl"....discrimination in the dog world? I understand doing what is best for the dog and its needs, but for lack of a better word, that is just ignorant. I'm glad it worked out for you!

I do plan on putting in an application with only one group. What am I waiting for? It's a personal issue, but I am on an active quest, and appreciate everyone's input.

Ha! Yeah, the woman who ran that group was rude rude rude. The funny thing is I could take my pup to work with me, so should would have been home alone less than almost any other dog out there.

Ultimately it led me to Grace, who was the most perfect of all the perfect dogs in the world. I wouldn't have it any other way, she was (is) my heart and soul.

That's a great book!! You can sometimes find her speaking at greyhound events too - she's a great lady!!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

That's a great book!! You can sometimes find her speaking at greyhound events too - she's a great lady!!

I'm reading " Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" and am stuck on the reward vs treat section, and the clicker section! Argh!! :coffee My first dog is a small mix...of..."I don't know what" and I trained him to do steps, sit. shake, walk on a leash, and stay....all with a calm voice, treats, and particularly, the steps, his favorite toy. I didn't read a book to do this, and I am getting confused. I do think, by reading posts on this sight, that I am beginning to understand some of the needs of a retired racer. I understand they are all different. I understand they are all new, to a life in a home environment. My frustation with this book is that, it's too specific for me. I don't understand what a clicker is or why it's needed. Just frustrated and am thinking too much about it. Help!

Guest greyhound_in_LA

Oh, clicker training is very effective for biddable, food-motivated dogs.

It's very easy to do it wrong, though. You have to be pretty spot-on with the timing of the click or whatever sound you use to mark a correct behavior.

You may end up with a Greyhound that is biddable, but in general, because they were always bred as independent hunters, they are not trick-learning Wunderkinds like border collies, Aussies, etc. Greys definitely have a stubborn streak like Huskies. They just don't see what's in it for them for doing those tricks even if there is a food reward.

• 2 months later...

Hello All..

I just sent in my application! YAY! I was contacted by adoption rep regarding the next steps. Next step, go to a Meet and Greet. No problem, since there are plenty in my area. Here's the problem. The rep told me to bring my little dog too. In my mind, I wasn't going to do that, when meeting a Greyhound for the first time. Little Man is so leash reactive, and I've been working on it, to the best of my ability, and his. I put him in the cart at Petsmart, (while shopping) where he isn't reactive. Well, we went for a walk tonight....and...I am in tears. I just don't know what to do. I fear that he will bark, snark, at a Meet and Greet.

Is that the best advice, to bring him?

Please help

Thank you

Lisa

Hello All..

I just sent in my application! YAY! I was contacted by adoption rep regarding the next steps. Next step, go to a Meet and Greet. No problem, since there are plenty in my area. Here's the problem. The rep told me to bring my little dog too. In my mind, I wasn't going to do that, when meeting a Greyhound for the first time. Little Man is so leash reactive, and I've been working on it, to the best of my ability, and his. I put him in the cart at Petsmart, (while shopping) where he isn't reactive. Well, we went for a walk tonight....and...I am in tears. I just don't know what to do. I fear that he will bark, snark, at a Meet and Greet.

Is that the best advice, to bring him?

Please help

Thank you

Lisa

I'd explain the situation to your adoption rep and ask them to work with you. Sounds like a M & G situation is going to be too stressful for your little one. I would think s/he should have other suggestions.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest sireltonsmom

I agree with seeh20 - don't stress too much - be in contact with the adoption group and ask their advice/opinion on any concerns you have. They have met and dealt with almost everything that could be a concern and can help you. Make this adventure as easy on yourself as possible. And enjoy the ride.

:ghplaybow:gh_runner