Jump to content

Ate A Bag Of Coffee Hard Candies Including Wrappers


Guest gryhnd3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest gryhnd3

Our girl ate a bag of coffee hard candies, wrappers and all, within the last hour. Haven't had this happen before. Wondering if we should give her dinner or not, concerned about all of the wrappers getting through :(. Hopefully they have a very small amount of caffeine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd call Poison Control. The danger depends on how many pieces and how much caffeine in each piece, but caffeine can be seriously dangerous to dogs. Check the ingredients and see how high coffee/caffeine ranks on the list.

 

Poison Control will take a credit card number over the phone, I think, then discuss your case with you. You may be billed $65. If you wind up at the vet, they'll continue working with the vet until things are resolved.

 

See details here: http://www.aspcapro.org/poison

 

Have the bag handy.

 

P.S. If the artificial sweetener Xylitol is in the ingredients, head for the vet at once. It's a killer.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could also call your local animal emergency room, tell them what happened. I've done that in the past, they were extremely helpful. One time they told me to come in right away, the other time told me to wait, watch and what to watch for so I would know whether to go in. Both times they were on the money.

 

Like KF said above, if there are artificial sweetners - go to the animal ER right away, you may want to call just to let them know you're on the way.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest MnMDogs

Yes, I'm too late to this but I hope you were able to make her vomit. Mork at a half a can of coffee and fortunately he vomited it all up without any ill effects... Same for a pack of sugar free gum :/. Please let us know how she's doing.

 

Edit... I thought this said a bag of coffee and hard candies, so my post probably makes no sense. Regardless, I hope you were able to get her to vomit and she's ok.

Edited by MnMDogs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

Aggh, I did not get back to read these until now. I gave her a small amount of dinner and she just went on a walk. Honestly, she's acting normal. The ingredients are glucose syrup (tapioca), cane sugar, unhydrogenated coconut oil, milk powder, coffee extract, salt, lecithin, natural coffee flavor, it was 3 different candies, one has glycerine. I'll call the emergency vet and see what they say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

The ER vet receptionist suggested bringing her in so the vet could do a physical exam, but she seems normal right now, so I think I am going to watch her carefully for any signs of GI distress, and if she has any, I'll bring her in and if not, I will call our regular vet first thing in the morning. She did ask right away if they were sugar-free candies, but they are not. She gets 3 fish oil pills in her breakfast, but I gave her two with the small amount of dinner, just thinking maybe that would help things move through.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

alright, sorry for all of the posts and thanks for the advice. I decided I'm going to take her to the ER vet to be on the safe side. It's about 50 minutes away, unfortunately.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

some dogs seem to have cast iron guts. my late borzoi used to steal chocolate candy- unwrapped it, shell peanuts and binge and opened the fridge, it was the old kind w/ the lever handle.i reduced her brought her back to health and thru the first stage of distemper, she was making up for lost time. my scottie used to steal caramel nips- but he was smart, he unwrapped them.he also had a thing for antique paper good...grrrr. emily, my first grey- at an entire box of trader joe's chocolate cat cookies, a medium size container of NUPRO supplement(she ate the plastic cover off to get to the goods!), the plastic strap on her muzzle- spat out the buckle, 1/2 of an ace bandage(passed it w/ the help of olive oil).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

She seems okay. The vet examined her and didn't find anything concerning, but did suggest we call poison control so I agreed. Poison control didn't have an issue w/ the candies per se, it was the fact that she had the candies plus her incontinence medicine. They suggested her blood pressure be checked. It was and was okay, so back home sleeping now. Unfortunately, we have no idea how many she ate as my husband couldn't remember at all how many could have been in the bag. Right before I decided to take her in, she started kind of running around the house and whining.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest gryhnd3

She is doing fine, thanks for asking. I slept on the couch to keep an eye on her but she was quiet all night. Ate her breakfast and completely normal stool this morning. Hopefully we are in the clear, I guess thank goodness we don't ever have sugarless candies. The annoying thing was that my husband had no clue of how many candies she may have gotten :(.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...