Is A Rawhide Chew Good For The Teeth?

Guest Bhamgreyt

Guest Lillypad

Interested to hear the opinion of others, but I personally don't like the idea. Have heard they can be hard to digest and the processing of the hide can be sketchy. I do feed a raw diet, raw turkey necks. As a matter of fact I fed a split raw pig foot for the first time just this evening. She enjoyed it VERY much and it kept her busy chewing for about 40 min, so I believe she got a good dental work out not to mention emotional enjoyment. Waiting to see how she digests the foot,(I am sure she will, don't anticipate any problems) I plan to give her more in the future. Thinking one a week or so.

On a side note: Welcome to Greytalk and the wonderful world of greyhounds. Prehaps, you might research a raw diet for your new addition. There is a lot of information availabe these days that debunk all the myths and misconceptions of feeding a raw diet. It generally is not as difficult as you may think. Best wishes to you and your hound... looking forward to some photos.

Guest Bhamgreyt

Hi Lillypad,

Thanks for your reply and kind welcome! We rarely do rawhide as I've heard the same as you about the digestion. I was digging through the cabinet tonight and found one and Lila has been chewing for about 40 minutes on it which is what got me thinking about the dental aspect.

Lila has a very sensitive stomach (hide has ok in the past) and it took us a while to find a quality food she can digest (been on totw prairie for about 4 years). I suspect she has allergies to salmon as she firmed up almost immediately once we got off the salmon formulas (hope that's not TMI!)

I have some pics over on the introductions forum. Thanks again!

My Lila just had a dental and I asked the vet what she recommends for chewing to help keep teeth clean. She recommended the CET rawhides. I had the same concern about digestion/choking/blockages. Vet said it is a concern if the dog is a "gulper" but if they actually chew the rawhide they don't see those problems. So I guess it depends on the dog. Vet also said bully sticks were good.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Guest CaityRose

My dogs have been fine on rawhide. See how they digest it. They only get a strip a couple times a week. I would think it's good for teeth but I am no expert. lots of chewing /scraping involved.

There's lots of things other than rawhides... raw (defrosted or frozen) turkey necks or duck necks are good. As are raw (defrosted or frozen) beef neck vertebrae. I will never feed the white bleached rawhide but I've been known to occasionally give a pressed rawhide bone under supervision. Sometimes, it's just so much more convenient if you're traveling or visiting than whipping a raw turkey neck out of your purse, LOL.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest normaandburrell

I gave my dog a rawhide chew and observed him tearing off and swallowing large chunks. Made me very nervous and I never did it again. Our local adoption group does not recommend them for that very reason.

Guest Scouts_mom

If you do decide to give a rawhide, make very sure it was not processed in Asia. I know some stores have stopped selling those from China, but not every one has and you don't want to poison your dog. I saw some for sell yesterday in the grocery store that were from China.

Guest k9soul

I personally don't like rawhide as it gets gummy and gross and makes their hair sticky. For a realy aggressive chewer they can be dangerous if they swallow too big a piece. And you definitely want to be careful of the source.

I prefer good old meaty soup marrow bones from the butcher, bully sticks, or deer antlers if you have a dog that is interested in them (some have reported that soaking them in broth makes them more appealing for pickier dogs).

Guest Bhamgreyt

I tried the deer antlers tonight with Lila, she pressed her nose against it for about 2 minutes, took it, gnawed on it for about another 2 minutes and gave up. LOL. I'll try the broth trick and see if that helps!

Guest greyhound_in_LA

When I first got elk antlers for previous dogs, I bought the wrong kind. I had to go online and order the ones that were newly shed, which made a big difference in their appeal. After those were worn down, I would soak them in leftover chicken or beef broth, but even then, it was rare.

I personally don't like rawhide as it gets gummy and gross and makes their hair sticky. For a realy aggressive chewer they can be dangerous if they swallow too big a piece. And you definitely want to be careful of the source.

I prefer good old meaty soup marrow bones from the butcher, bully sticks, or deer antlers if you have a dog that is interested in them (some have reported that soaking them in broth makes them more appealing for pickier dogs).

I agree with you , raw hide was popular for years but it isn't easily digested in the stomach. I soak antlers in no salt beef broth and also give knee caps that can be found in smaller pet food stores.

Sweep is not a particularly aggressive chewer, but with both rawhide chips and CET dental chews she has choked on more than one occasion. Thankfully, they've been more of a "gag a bit and then finish chewing" type of situation that did not require intervention on my part, but it's scared me enough to stop giving them. We stick to a water additive, occasional brushing w/ peanut butter flavor toothpaste, and bully sticks/Greenies bones/beef tracheas (moo tubes) here, none of which she's ever had a problem with at either end (knock on wood). Her teeth are great.

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Guest Doggone

Autumn gets mushy "end-products" from regular rawhides, so they're a no-no. The CET ones don't seem to cause the same problems, but she gets those only occasionally.

For dental care, I give her one of the Costco Checkups every day (I think that's what they are called) and occasionally one of those new Milkbone dental things, or a store dental chew, plus every morning, I rub her gums with a 1-TDC capsule's liquid (saw it recommended on Greytalk).

I've begun this routine in March, after extensive dental surgery involving 7 extractions, prior to which her breath had become almost as noxious as her gas. It seems to be working, since not only has the gum redness been contained, but her breath is absolutely delightful! :)

P.S. I forgot to add that although she is unbelievably cooperative with all other forms of handling, she's not when it comes to brushing her teeth! :(

Edited by Doggone

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chickenpotpie

Lucky has never gotten rawhide, she gets part of a turkey neck in the evenings after dinner. She's got the stomach of a tank though :hehe

Guest Kristinm08

I personally get my hound the big braided rawhide from the local feed store. It's locally made so I trust it, and as an added bonus, it tends to be far cheaper than anything in a pet store. As far as it being good for the teeth, I'm pretty skeptical. The issue isn't typically the teeth, so much as gum disease and chewing doesn't really help with that. There is no substitute for daily brushing (as I have found out the hard way). Rawhides are for fun and the natural chewing urge.

Zero used to get bones from the pet shops too, but we have had terrible trouble with them. One was apparently rancid once and he was terribly sick for a while, other times he has eaten the entire bone and gotten sick from that. Bones can be dangerous, especially if your dog is an eater, rather than chewer, and seem to be more trouble than they're worth for us.

But again, for dental health, there's nothing like brushing. We use a poultry flavored paste and he looks forward to it every night. As soon as the cap comes off he's licking the tube :). There's a product you can get from the vet called OraVet that you put on the dog's teeth once a week. It prevents plaque from forming. http://www.oravet.us.merial.com/