Satin Balls

I've just made Satin Balls for the first time for Jeffie, and Jeffie (the 'Good grief, that meat is RAW! Please take it away and don't bring it back until it's cooked' dog) has just eaten 10 of them!

He viewed the first with great suspicion, but took a tentative lick, looked away, came back and licked it again, put it in his mouth, looked as if he was going to spit it out, changed his mind and started chewing .. swallowed it and licked the plate and then looked expectantly at me. I don't think he'd have eaten so many if I hadn't hand fed him, but I've been very concerned with his weight loss recently, so I'm really pleased he is eating these.

Knowing Jeffie, he may well refuse them tomorrow, but if he'll eat them now and then (even if I have to dry-fry the darned things) this is going to help, I think!

Now. How do I stop Sid the Podge from getting jealous? :lol

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Satin Balls were invented by someone whose boxer needed to put on weight. She did her research and had her recipe checked by vets and labs, apparently, and it's become a pretty standard recipe which can be fed as a complete diet and is excellent for seniors who are dropping weight through age or dogs who are recuperating from illness etc.

This is the recipe I used:

1 pound cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
Pinch of salt

I used this one because it's a cut-down version, quantity-wise, and I really didn't think Jeffie would eat them, so I wanted to make a small amount first. I used EV olive oil, and had to substitute a plain unsweetened cereal for Total because it isn't sold here in the UK. Long term, if I were feeding this continually, I'd have to add in a vitamin/mineral supplement because apparently Total has all that in it.

I'm surprised you can't find a post, though - Satin Balls come up on Greytalk quite a lot!

Guest jbeth

Thanks so much. Perhaps I did not go back far enough. One of my greys (Jackie Chan) has days when he just doesn't want to eat his kibble and he really does not need to lose weight. This sounds like a good idea for those days.

Could you give Sid some very lean raw hamburger while Sid gets his satin balls (perhaps cut down on his regular food depending on the amount so his doesn't gain wieght)?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Yes, Jan - he did get one or two, bless him. Sid had two to Jeffie's ten, in tiny pieces. :) He loved them, too!

We have to do this already. Jeffie has two thirds of the meat stew and a cup and a quarter of kibble (when he's eating properly) and Sid has one third meat stew and three quarters of a cup of kibble at each meal.

Knox gelatin isn't available in the UK, but I looked it up. You just need individual packets of powdered, unflavoured gelatin. It's very easy to mix in. DH found ours in the desserts aisle at the supermarket (because it's used for making jellies, panna cotta, etc).

I would imagine you can use lamb, but turkey wouldn't have a high enough fat content.

Here is a popular recipe for Satin Balls, and at the top of the page is a link to More Recipes.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I've used these in the past as well. Once with a foster that needed weight ASAP and once with Sammi when she was ill. Now that Sammi is older, I have been keeping an eye on her weight and was just about to go looking for the recipe again when you posted this!

I have never heard of these either. I am curious what the Knox gelatin is for ? Ruby is a picky eater at times so I will be keeping this recipe. She is allergic to beef but am assuming I could use ground turkey. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

This isn't the original article I had when I was developing a homecook diet for Sammi years ago, but it's close. :)

Gelatin