...but only after fitting it to my own thigh and giving myself a "correction" and seeing it is no more uncomfortable than a choke collar.

We were bored at the day care one day and did the same. Someone pointed it out to me that we didn't put them around our throats - so being me I later did. I put one around my neck and tightened pretty darn hard several times. I'd use it again on Barkley if he needs a refresher, but not on a greyhound or Poodle.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest k9soul

Even with the rubber tips - that might prevent them from tearing the skin, but there would almost certainly be bruising, unless the owner was extremely skillful in using it - and if it's possible to use it so that it never 'grabs' the dog and gives the correction, why are you even using it?

Yeah even with the rubber or blunted tips I'd never put one on a greyhound, or any sighthound. With those long delicate necks I would think they would be more prone to pharyngeal/laryngeal injury.

Guest snowpuppy

I hate that this particular tool is often judged as a cruel means of inflicting pain because it looks scary. I'm a huge fan of the correct tool for the correct circumstances and doing research before implementing a tool with any animal. I've used a prong before to walk sled dogs when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and my husband worked 900 miles away...it was the only way to safely control them when a squirrel went bounding along or a moron decided to ignore the whole...no your little dog with no manners whose behaving aggressively cannot come over here and meet my dogs...

I wouldn't recommend using it all the time or with a grey at all. There are a ton of alternatives that are widely available, and great places like this one are full of alternative suggestions.

I hate that this particular tool is often judged as a cruel means of inflicting pain because it looks scary. I'm a huge fan of the correct tool for the correct circumstances and doing research before implementing a tool with any animal. I've used a prong before to walk sled dogs when I was 8 1/2 months pregnant and my husband worked 900 miles away...it was the only way to safely control them when a squirrel went bounding along or a moron decided to ignore the whole...no your little dog with no manners whose behaving aggressively cannot come over here and meet my dogs...

Unfortunately, these collars do inflict pain and can inflict injury when used wrongly. As I have said earlier, I accept that there is a time and a place for using them, and sled dogs who lunge after squirrels while the owner is pregnant is probably a good example of when they can be useful - especially since they are one of the tough, thick-furred breeds. I get that working sled dogs can be a very difficult proposition when walked in a suburban setting with small ill-mannered dogs around, and I see that was a difficult situation for you. I'd still say that long term, training the dogs properly is a better alternative, though. JMHO.

However. A greyhound with that thin skin, low-hair coat, and long neck? No way. To me, it seems like putting a shire horse harness on a thoroughbred racehorse and expecting it not to cause problems. Apart from which, what happens when a greyhound in a pinch/prong collar decides to lunge after a squirrel or a cat? Torn skin? Severe bruising? Fractured larynx or neck injury maybe? I shudder to think. I do know that if I were the one using a pinch/prong collar on a trainer's advice and something like that happened to my beloved dog I'd be absolutely devastated and would probably never get over the guilt.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

On a lighter note, I used to live in Brighton (which is really just a part of Boston they call Brighton) and the vet I used was Angell Memorial, a major veterinary teaching hospital. It's in a very urban area, and open 24/7, so they get lots of rather unsavory types coming in at all hours. One night I was there with an emergency, and some young fellow with his pants half off, sideways hat, down jacket in the summer came in with his unneutered Pit Bull, and he had a pinch collar--but it was inside/out! In other words, this chucklehead had put the collar on so the prongs were OUT. It was hilarious!

When he found out he needed to show ID to be seen, he left, but I've never forgotten that particular sight.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

When I first adopted Brady, a family friend who is a dog trainer saw us walking ( Brady walking me..) He was not agressive, just so eager to meet and see every thing. There was never a dog, cat, or person that was not his friend. He was curious about every thing, he also had a poop eating thing going on.

She called me and asked how it was going and I told her I needed some training. I used a gentle leader with Brady for about the first 2 years. The gentle leader works great with pulling, I would hook his leash, martingale collar and gentle leader rings together and there was no pressure on his neck, when he pulled like a freight train it cause his head to turn towards me and walk towards me.

A gentle leader used right way is very effective.

I have not needed to use one in 5 years.

Edited by bradymom

groupwindia-greytalk2.jpg

The handsome boy Brady, mid-morning nap. The sun, the sun feels so, so, so good.

I can't keep my eyes open ... ... Retirement agrees ...

... and the Diva Ms India, 2001 - 10/16/2009 ....

On a lighter note, I used to live in Brighton (which is really just a part of Boston they call Brighton) and the vet I used was Angell Memorial, a major veterinary teaching hospital. It's in a very urban area, and open 24/7, so they get lots of rather unsavory types coming in at all hours. One night I was there with an emergency, and some young fellow with his pants half off, sideways hat, down jacket in the summer came in with his unneutered Pit Bull, and he had a pinch collar--but it was inside/out! In other words, this chucklehead had put the collar on so the prongs were OUT. It was hilarious!

When he found out he needed to show ID to be seen, he left, but I've never forgotten that particular sight.

People use the collar that way on purpose. Some like the martingale effect of it and many use it as protection for the dog. With the prongs out, any dog attacking it can't get to the neck. The guy was probably trying to protect his dog.

My favorites are the ones I see walking their golden retrievers with a prong collar and a retractable leash.

I saw a toy poodle wearing one at a pet store one time.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

My "quote" feature no longer functions on GT (nor does cut and paste!) but this is supposed to be a reply to post #32.

"People" may use a prong collar inside out on purpose, but that doesn't make it less stupid or less hilarious! And in fact in my 12 years living in a city full of pit bulls, I never ever saw anyone else doing that.

You can buy a thick leather spiked collar at pretty much any big pet store. I'm relatively certain that particular thug was just a moron and NOT trying to protect his dog since he wouldn't even show his ID to get his dog treatment.

Sadly, many bad people consider a pit bull a disposable weapon.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Sadly, many bad people consider a pit bull a disposable weapon.

Well, at least that guy was there to get his dog some treatment, presumably. Pity he didn't stay.

We don't have quite the fighting dog problem that you have in the US, but we're now seeing it. It's so, so sad - scary, too.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop