Help! River Ate Part Of An Ipod Cable!

Help! While we were outside with Lynni and Sammi, River got a hold of an iPod cable :(

http://www.cellphoneshop.net/4wall10.html?CAWELAID=1800340993&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530001600000010056&cadevice=c&gclid=CNDU37aMir8CFQKLaQodQzkAqg

Looks like this ^^^ The wider part that plugs into the iPod is the part she bit off, not the part that goes into the wall socket.

We don't think that she took the entire end off in one gulp, we found the metal part, just not the plastic around the metal. It's soft plastic, most likely in pieces. Should we be flipping out NOW or wait til the AM to call the vet? Treat it like a chicken bone and giver her bread with olive oil? Or will it pass on it's own?

This is pretty new to me, Sammi's never been one to eat things that aren't part of a food group. So far, River seems to want to eat plastic items. DS has gotten extremely good about his Legos in the past 2 weeks.

Edited by Gryffenne

Feed a couple of slices of bread to help cushion any sharp bits. It'll probably take a couple of days to pass (or she could upchuck it tonight). Just watch for any signs that she's uncomfortable. Call your vet in the morning, but I think your vet probably will recommend a wait-and-watch approach.

Remember that stuff you guys have held in your hands (phones, Legos, TV remotes, etc.) smells like you guys. And if you've been eating while you hold the phone, change the channel, or play with toys, the plastic smells like you and food. For some dogs, that's irresistible. (One friend's greyhound ate her dental retainer. Twice.)

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'd give bread and keep an eye on her for any distress.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thank you for the quick responses! Gave her some bread, worked on her treat taking excitement while we were at it :lol

Remember that stuff you guys have held in your hands (phones, Legos, TV remotes, etc.) smells like you guys. And if you've been eating while you hold the phone, change the channel, or play with toys, the plastic smells like you and food. For some dogs, that's irresistible.

Didn't think of that. Would definitely explain the allure. DS loves to play on his iPod while eating his lunch and it is charged in right there. it prolly smells like his 3 fave lunches: PB&J, Tunafish, and Grilled Cheese.

Make sure she continues to eat/drink and eliminate normally. If either stops, get to a vet asap. It should pass on it's own.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

(Almost) 48 hour update:

Saturday, River's appetite and pooping were both normal. Her energy level was about normal. Took the girls to the bark park, but the mosquitoes were so bad that we didn't stay long. After they peed 10 times and did a quick zoomie, River was next to me as if to say, "I'm ready to go back home now". I wouldn't call her lethargic, but she has been subdued in her play and loving. No tender spots when I feel her torso and abdomen.

Sunday is where it got interesting. :(

6am we wake up to her vomiting. :( Instantly awake (just like with kids, it is amazing how fast that noise brings you out of a dead sleep to WIDE AWAKE) It was a small amount of bile... and... the component from the iPod, including the plastic sheath. While daddyman is cleaning it up and examining what was horked up, she is leaning on me with her head tucked in my shoulder getting comforted. Again, no tender spots, checked her throat and mouth as well. She lays back down. When we get up 2 hours later, she is doing her morning ZOMGILOVEYOU routine with me like normal. Appetite normal, poops normal. Still subdued in her play, but being as lazy as a grey usually is when not in zoomie mode.

No blood in stools, no blood in the bile. Poops have been usual consistency for the times of day they are produced. Thirst and appetite have both been normal.

Should we still be in high alert mode? Or can I start relaxing a bit?

Edited by Gryffenne

I wouldn't worry anymore unless something changes and she again feels icky.

Pepcid would be a good idea. Her tummy probably produced some extra acid to try to digest that thing.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sounds like she brought it up-I would give her Pepcid to calm her tummy down.

I wouldn't worry anymore unless something changes and she again feels icky.

Pepcid would be a good idea. Her tummy probably produced some extra acid to try to digest that thing.

Thank you :) Texted DH to pick up some more Pepcid. Don't have any in the house & I use Zantac for my stomach issues.

So far so good. Morning River Attack was normal, appetite was normal. Can't tell you about her poops yet because it is raining outside. Apparently her and Lynni will both melt, now, if they have to go out in the rain.

Edited by Gryffenne