Third Eyelid Exposed And Sore

Guest GreyDogsRule

Guest GreyDogsRule

My sweet little 12 year old houndie Sasha has a very sore eye. She has some mucousy discharge and her third eyelid is partially exposed. In general, the eye itself looks sore and red.

In the past, I recall her having this issue. The vet visit resulted in a lighter wallet and a tube of triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment. A few days after applying the ointment, Sasha's eye would show great improvement.

It is Friday afternoon and the vet is already gone for the weekend. I can wait until Monday or take her to the e-vet. I am thinking a reasonable third option would be to treat the eye with triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment for humans purchased at the drug store. If she does not improve on Monday morning, get her to the vet.

Sure would appreciate some advice.

Guest GreyDogsRule

Unfortunately, our vet is closed on Saturdays. small town vet I guess. Sasha had this happen at least twice in the past and I recall the product being triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment. I Suspect it is identical to what I could buy for myself at the drug store. I think your right, I can probably get info with more internet research.

It's the eye and that would be of heightened concern to me - if it was my dog - I would be on the way to the ER vet. I personally don't think it can wait until Monday to be checked by a medical professional.

edited to add - the eye really needs to be examined by their "special instruments".

Edited by MaryJane

You can get antibiotic opthalmic ointment without a prescription? Had no idea. Would have bet you couldn't but then I've never looked for it. If she was my dog I'd get her to some vet before Monday. Problems with eyes really scare me & I'm not prone to delaying more than 24 hours. Though BF claims I'd take a dog to the vet if it yawned too much. (And I think he might be right.)

Good luck. Hope it's just something minor.

Guest GreyDogsRule

My wife just got home from work and I asked her about the ointment we have put in Sasha's eye in the past. She said it is in a drawer in the kitchen. As usual, I told her I already looked there, but somehow every time she looks in the same place, it appears. :) The tube is triple antibiotic ophthalmic ointment and is about a year old. We put some in Sasha's eye. Hope it works for her. I will watch it very closely. If it gets worse, I have no issue taking her straight to the E-vet. She is an HGE girl and unfortunately very familiar with multiple trips to the E-vet.

Guest GreyDogsRule

You can get antibiotic opthalmic ointment without a prescription? Had no idea. Would have bet you couldn't but then I've never looked for it. If she was my dog I'd get her to some vet before Monday. Problems with eyes really scare me & I'm not prone to delaying more than 24 hours. Though BF claims I'd take a dog to the vet if it yawned too much. (And I think he might be right.)

Good luck. Hope it's just something minor.

You might be more familiar if it was broken down. neomycin, bacitracin, and polymycin B. I'm guessing many people have this stuff in their medicine cabinets. They are common ingredients in various preparations for minor cuts and scrapes.

If Sasha is not better in the morning, she will likely see the e-vet by the end of the day. I applied some of the ointment prescribed from a previous vet visit and if I am not mistaken, she is already feeling better.

I have Tritop, Neosporin and other antibiotic ointments in my medicine cabinet but they not ophthalmic suspensions. I don't believe I've seen them over the counter for human use

When Poodle's tear canal was blocked he got some antibiotic drops that were $48. They cleared it up and now he just has to use human artificial tears for dry eye from now on.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

You might be more familiar if it was broken down. neomycin, bacitracin, and polymycin B. I'm guessing many people have this stuff in their medicine cabinets. They are common ingredients in various preparations for minor cuts and scrapes.

Haven't seen the ophthalmic versions of those OTC. I wouldn't put the ones used for cuts & scrapes in my eye although I have used the ophthalmic version on cuts & scrapes. Also, I'd be concerned about reusing ophthalmic ointment that was open & used a year ago. My understanding is that you run a much greater risk of introducing new infection from something growing in/on the old, previously opened ointment. That applies even if the ointment isn't past it's expiration date. Supposedly that's one reason the ophthalmic ointments are sold in such tiny tubes.

That applies even if the ointment isn't past it's expiration date. Supposedly that's one reason the ophthalmic ointments are sold in such tiny tubes.

My vet said exactly the same thing about Poodle's antibiotic eye drops. He said they are sold in such tiny quantities as they need to be tossed after two months at the outside. Not sure if ointments are different.
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

if she has managed this long another 2 days won't really hurt. going to the EV will hurt your pocketbook. do talk to your pharmacist and describe the situation and name exactly what you were using.

was it a combo of dexamethasone, bactracin and neosporin? that's what i use for annie's pannus. allergies have been awful and one of her eyes had a good discharge. i washed it out by dripping water into it from a cotton ball, then wiping the area clean and upping the daily dosage.the combo eased what ever was going on. she has improved greatly with in a day. but honestly i was going to try a benign eye drop if that didn't work.

Just want to point out that you never want to apply a ophthalmic ointment that contains a steroid (dexamethasone) into the eye without an exam by a veterinarian. If the eye has an corneal ulcer the dex will make it worse. You absolutely need to rule out ulcers before using a product like neo-poly-dex.

That is why Poodle had that fluoroscope black light thing - right?

Yes, they stain the eye with fluorescein stain and exam the eye with a woods (black light) first. If there's an ulcer there will be uptake of the stain=ulcer.

Guest GreyDogsRule

Thanks everyone for the input. In retrospect especially given the excellent input, I probably should not have taken the chance and applied the ointment from a previous time to Sasha's eye. I am glad to report however, that she is much improved today. She even beat the boys (my two male greys) down the stairs this morning for breakfast. The product I am using has no steroid in it and as in the past, we attempt to maintain a sterile situation by never touching the tip of the ointment to anything including Sasha's eye. I think at this point, I should follow the directions and continue to apply for about a week. I never actually looked at a drug store and it is very possible that i would not have been able to purchase the ophthalmic preparation without a prescription.

Thanks again for the help.