Eddi Needs Attention

Guest greytone

Guest greytone

I’m not exactly sure on where to start explaining my new greyhound situation.

Eddi (racing name Candlelight Edge) came to me on May 24, 2014 after her owner’s death. I took Eddi in knowing that she was 7 year old and needed some attention. Her teeth and breath are in horrible condition. Think of being able to smell your dog’s breath like 5 feet away from the dog. And her teeth are almost all the way black. (The last time that she was at the vet was in 2011 and I’m guessing that is around the time she had a dental.) Also, her nails are very long as well. Basically, she is a wreck to put it nicely.

One thing that I’ve noticed is that she whines A LOT. She whines to go outside. She whines right after being outside. (I do watch to make sure she is doing her business outside and she is.) She whines when she is lying down on her bed. She whines when she is walking around. I personally don’t think that this is normal. Not of my other hounds have been like this. How do I get her to stop constantly whining? Tell her “Eddi no whine” or “Eddi no” isn’t working.

I am wondering if she has a bladder infection or a UTI because she always wants to go outside. I normally get up in the morning around 8, 8:30am…and from the time I leave to go to work at 3:30pm, she probably goes out about 20 times a day.

Anyways, Eddi and I will be going to the vet on Tuesday for an exam and I want to run blood work as well.

If you've only had her since 5/24, she may very well be missing her old owner. I foster dachshunds and some of the owner surrenders mourn for a week or two. They whine, sit by the door, pace around. Her life has just turned upside down so she's probably anxious. Give her some time. Thank you for taking care of her.

My approach would be vet first. Behavior modification later. Glad you are doing blood work. Consider adding a urinalysis to that, just to be sure & to get some baseline number for future comparison. She clearly needs a dental. My last foster dog came in with breath like that. She lost most of her teeth then. Her whining all but disappeared & restlessness diminished significantly. The rest of the restlessness went away a week later. I think she just needed vet care to feel physically comfortable and time to feel emotionally comfortable.

While you wait for her vet appointment, my main suggestion for the whining would be to simply ignore it if you've established that the basics are attended to. The basics being gone potty recently, water bowl is full, extra comfy bed provided (thinking of this as important for a painful hound), aren't past meal time, etc. My dogs are not rewarded for whining. I do not punish them but I make sure not to reward whining by looking at them, speaking to them, touching them or in some other way responding when they whine. For now, until you know more about her health issues, settle for ignoring the whining. Instead, just make sure her needs are provided and be sure to reward quiet whether that's a petting, praise or little food treat.

Good luck. Hope fixing the dental issues takes care of the other probs. It did for my foster.

Any way to get that urinalysis NOW? If she's going out that often and whining a lot, she might indeed have a UTI and she'll be very uncomfortable until she can start meds. If a UTI goes on for too long, the bladder can perforate -- that is basically a dead dog situation.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytone

When I called the vet on Tuesday, next week Tuesday (June 2nd) was the soonest I could get in.

As for the constantly going in and out of the house/whining....most of the time, when she does whine, I let her out because I don't want her peeing in the house. However, there has been times when she whines, I let her outside and she will just lay down in the grass. I guess I am just confused on why she is always whining. I give her food and she eats some. She has plenty of water and a nice bed. There's no reason in my eyes why she should be unhappy unless her mouth hurts that much.

Any way to get that urinalysis NOW? If she's going out that often and whining a lot, she might indeed have a UTI and she'll be very uncomfortable until she can start meds. If a UTI goes on for too long, the bladder can perforate -- that is basically a dead dog situation.

:nod

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I've had my Emma for 2 yrs. She's 4. She got kicked out of her first home (a condo) because she whined. She's a talker. Just talks. Non-stop. She healthy, happy, content.

So, she could just be a talker.

But I would still take care of all her problems as it could still be pain induced.

I've had my Emma for 2 yrs. She's 4. She got kicked out of her first home (a condo) because she whined. She's a talker. Just talks. Non-stop. She healthy, happy, content.

So, she could just be a talker.

But I would still take care of all her problems as it could still be pain induced.

This is what I have been thinking. All of my girls have been talkers. Eddi has gone through a lot of changes lately, if whining/talking is soothing to her, she may well just be doing what she is used to doing. I would definitely have her vetted though.

Guest alannamac

Could you take her to a different vet just to check urine? Not sure what you have available in your area but here many have 1/2 day Saturday hours...

Bless you for taking care of this poor dear. She must be grieving as well. Hopefully getting all of her medical issues attended to can help her to heal.

Guest larock

My female also whines quite a lot, even while she's wagging her tail. It's just her way. However, it does sound like this girl might have something else going on. Not to mention the fact that she's most likely missing her previous owner.

Oh, poor Eddi ...

If you've only had her since 5/24, she may very well be missing her old owner. I foster dachshunds and some of the owner surrenders mourn for a week or two. They whine, sit by the door, pace around. Her life has just turned upside down so she's probably anxious. Give her some time. Thank you for taking care of her.

I agree. She is probably confused and grieving, poor soul. She also clearly has medical issues and probably some pain. If she has a UTI, she will indeed be very uncomfortable, so that will add to her unhappiness. Give her some time on the whining - she may be a talker - but do get her to the vet ASAP.

Let us know how you get on!

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest carriej

My Kowalla was a rehome as well and he whined for a couple of weeks to a month. Not loudly, but loud enough we could hear him. He eventually settled in and was fine, but he did have some high anxiety at first. If he heard noise (like for example if I was on the phone) he would whine almost in my ear (I think his previous owners kept him locked in a spare room because he was really not desensitized to standard everyday things). He did get over it though and turned into a very happy guy.

Hi everyone! Greytone is my sister. We also found out some news for about Eddi on Thursday as well. We learned threw a friend. That when the owner died our local cops had to break into the house to gain entry. Since other owner wasn't home. Both dogs were taken to our local humane society until he was able to pick them up. so I'm sure both dogs have been truamaizted by the events of the past few weeks. I'm sure it's been a rough few weeks for both dogs. She is such a sweet girl though!

My sister right her teeth are horrible! I will be going to the vet with my sister and Eddi on Tuesday since I kinda feel I owe it to her since I did help her get into this situation.

I do think a lot of her whining is from her mouth hurting soo much. If my teeth looked as bad as her do I would be whining a lot too! I can honesty say her's are some of the worst I've ever seen in my almost 15 years of having greyhounds. And I've seen a lot of bad teeth from some of the dogs we've gotten off the farms.

I also recommened that Annie take in a fresh stool sample to check for worms. And a urine sample to check for a UTI.

We'll get her straightened out! Our family is committed to helping her settling in with my sister Annie(greytone) and her husband and Huey the non grey member of the family! I think it's gonna take some time!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Hoping everything is fixable and she settles in soon. I know you folks will do right by her.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I guess I am just confused on why she is always whining. I give her food and she eats some. She has plenty of water and a nice bed. There's no reason in my eyes why she should be unhappy unless her mouth hurts that much.

To clarify, I wasn't implying she didn't have those things. Was trying to say that as long as you know those things are provided for then you should feel OK ignoring the whining & rewarding only quiet. She may just be a whiner or she may just be very confused & possibly mourning her loss. Give her time & she'll also see all she's gained with you. We've had multiple older &/or rehomed dogs come to us. Some act happy & comfortable immediate. Some take a while weeks. If a dog already had a tendency toward whining then such upheavals alone could set them into hyper-whine. Add in what must be a very uncomfortable mouth and I'd be whining myself. (Though I do tend to be a whiner... but that's not important here.)

She'll be OK. You will help her be OK.

Guest greytone

So to update everyone....Things have been going better. She isn't as whiny as before. However, yesterday she had a tooth fall out. Its complately rotten. No blood or anything. And next to where the tooth was, there's another loose tooth. Poor girl.

I feel horrible for her. Thank God we are going to the vet tomorrow.

Edited by greytone

However, yesterday she had a tooth fall out. Its complately rotten. No blood or anything. And next to where the tooth was, there's another loose tooth. Poor girl.

I feel horrible for her. Thank God we are going to the vet tomorrow.

:(

Let us know how she does. Poor sweetheart.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Poor Eddi, sounds like she didn't have the best of care in her previous home. She is lucky to have you and your sister on her side now. Hopefully she will be a happy healthy hound very soon.

Lexi (mom to Nok, the former feral black kitty)

I went with my sister Annie(greytone) and Eddi to the vet this morning. Seems that things are looking up for Eddi! Since we didn't know what she's had for shot. We wanted to find out all's been done with her. And as it turns out, she is up to date on all of her shots. The only thing she will need is Lepo in January of next year. But that's no big deal! We had them do blood work for a heartworm test since it didn't appear that she was on any while with her former owners. They also checked for tick born diease's as well. And I happy to report she is heartworm and tick born diease negative!!!!!!!!!!! But other than her teeth she appears to be in good shape. Her was good at 53.9 pounds. Annie wanted to talk with her hubby Zach to see when is a good time to make the appointment for her dental. But don't worry Annie is not gonna wait long at all!

Edited by SarahsBlackPack

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Good job!