Kidney Diet Suggestions

Guest kar

Aquitaine actually likes the K/D canned food! I also give her the Purina Kidney Diet kibble. She didn't like it the first time so we did only the canned K/D for the first 15 months until I tried it again and she decided she really likes it. I appreciate that because while it is far costlier than her old kibble, it is far less costly than the K/D canned.

Are you sure you need one? Depending on the stage of the kidney disease it may actually be better to find a food with a pretty normal protein level, but with lower phosphorous. Or you might consider a normal food with a phosphorous binder. Or a homecooked diet.

I realize none of this answers your actual question. :ph34r

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest D_MansMommy

TC has chronic kidney failure. Through research with my GT/facebook friends, I found Nutrisource large breed. I've been feeding it for over a year and TC is doing great. The protein and phosphorous content seem to work for him.

Bullitt hates K/D so I purchased some canned Purina NF and he loves it! It arrived today after I spent hours putting together his home cooked diet. Luckily I was able to freeze it so it's there if he stops eating the Purina.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Low phosphorus is the key and high quality protein. High quality protein isn't typically found in prescription diets. Dogaware.com has informative articles on this and many other topics. There is a search button on the site which will bring you to what you are looking for. A lot of people have already posted great advice so I'm just reiterating.

Shane loves Royal Canine Renal MP (Medium Protein) kibble and Purina NF canned food.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Agree about the high quality protein. I actually add in some Fresh Pet sliced food to the Purina NF kibble. The Fresh Pet people were very responsive to me when I requested information about the phosphorous level as it is not icluded on their label. The level is low enough for the food to work and she absolutely adores it. It is the same beef and vegetables that I use when I cook for her but less costly than high quality ground beef and turkey is here in NYC and no time involvement on my part.

Is protein showing up in the urine? If so, then you probably need to adjust the amount of protein down even more. When one of my dogs had an acute kidney issue, I got the protein dipsticks and checked his first AM urine and if it had protein, I would lower the intake that day. You could try one of the vegetarian dog foods and supplement the protein yourself with cottage cheese, eggs, or a good cut of meat - but, you might be surprised at how little protein you'll be able to give.

My dog liked Purina NF canned, but he also like the Hill's dry.

Kept him alive for at least an extra year, so don't worry about the supposed "non quality" of the ingredients.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck