Trouble Getting Super Shy Grey To Even Stand To Go Out Or Walk

Guest Greylover3803

Guest Greylover3803

Hoping someone experienced with shy dogs can help. We brought home our Greycie on Friday. She has not been in a home environment that we are aware. We are on day 3 and she won't get up by herself. She has made no attempts to socialize or get to know her new surroundings. When we try to take her out to pee/poo she resists and we literally have to pick her up to a standing position and walk her through the house on a leash. The only time she has gotten up on her own is to eat. She is eating well, but would rather hold it for 10-12 hours than get up. We have tried treats and all positive reinforcement that we can think of. Our previous greyhound was so easy so have not had any of these experiences before. We are trying to be patient, but it doesn't seem natural that she should have absolutely no interest in anything to do with us or getting to know her new surroundings. We left her for a short time today to make sure she could handle separation and it was like she couldn't care less whether we ever came back. Anyone had a similar experience with any recommendations especially in regards to getting her to stand when it is time to go out? I don't feel we are inexperienced grey owners but feel totally stumped with how to handle. I've heard of anxious dogs, destructive dogs, curious dogs, but never seen one seemingly just shut down. We are a couple with no children or other pets so there aren't any distractions or competing interests to take attention away from her.

First of all, congrats on adopting Greycie. While I am no expert, I did work as staff for a Greyhound shelter for 1 1/2 yrs. Although I gave great attention to all the dogs I gave special attention to the shy ones.

It takes awhile, 3 days isn't a long time as you know but it may take less time now that she is in your home and you are the only ppl she will see. Barring any unusual health issues I would hope you will see her coming out of her shell even just a little soon. How long? A week? Maybe longer. I know you must be anxious for her to feel comfortable but just be there. Let her come to you, don't push too much. Of course you need to get a routine potty routine.

MY story of Sam the Greyhound. Sam, I was told, was so shy that no one walked him in the field and not to let him out in the fenced area as he wouldn't come back, just let him out in the small area to do his stuff.

After everyone was out for their break I would let them 1 or 2 at a time run in the fenced field as long as they wanted. I DID let Sam out there too, it didn't matter if he took his time on a nice day. I would sit out in the field with him, he knew I was there. :-) He DID always come back whether it be a 1/2 hour or 10 minutes. Soon it was routine.

I would walk the dogs one by one and never did take Sam. He was too scared. One day, I think a month, maybe more, I put the last Grey in their stall with the exception of Sam. I started to leave and heard this low bark. Sam was that you? I went over to his stall and he put his nose to the leash. I took him out for a walk that day and ppl mistook him for another dog because Sam would never go out of his stall like that never mind let you leash and walk him. I walked him happily every day after that and then he was adopted :-)

My Charlie was at the shelter about 8 months. He was soooo afraid of ppl and would hide at the back of his stall. No one adopted him.

Day one of bringing him home we had to sit outside for 20 minutes just to get him into my house.

He got to know my husband quickly and after a couple or more visits from my son and daughter in law, he no longer hides in the other room but runs out to greet them. Charlie has been here for 2 yrs and is the most affectionate dog we've ever had. If I remember correctly, it might have taken a month before he settled in. Although it may have been longer. I hope you are patient enough because it will be worth it in the long run.

Maybe you could try some natural calming treats to see if that helps. Naturvet makes a good one.

My older dog who is a German Shepherd is on Zylkene because she has a bit of "Sundowners" a condition from a touch of Alzheimers. It is casein and magnesium supplement and instead of her nervousness when the sun goes down, she is now at ease.

I'm not suggesting that really but hoping some time will make Greycie comfortable. I'm glad you've had greys before :-) you know some of their quirks but don't they and we all. :-) Please let me know how she does. Sorry for being so long winded and lastly hang in there!

Edited by CharlieRhea

Shy dogs take lots of time and lots of patience, but they are so worth the effort and wait. I adopted Nova in November. If I looked at her she would turn and walk into another room. She always thought I was going to be mad at her or maybe she didn't know what to expect but it was very scary for her. Going for walks was horrible as she would statue or try to run away. Today she follows me from room to room or if I step outside she wants to go with me. She loves her walks and has learned sit, down, wait and touch. Some better than others and she is so smart and pleased when she does something right. My first dog was very similar and she was my heart dog.

Hang in there and like CharlieReha said; they are worth the wait!

Good luck.

Bu was like that. He just stayed in his crate for months, even with the door open. I'd have to crawl in the crate to put his leash on him and drag him out. With time, patience, and love, he got over it. It's been 5 years and people who meet him are shocked to hear what he was like. He's now goofy, sweet, and loves people. Certain things, mainly noises, make him hide still, but we've come very far.

The shy and spooky greys have always been near to my heart. I've had several over the years and each one is very different in how long it takes them to make any progress. Your description of being "shut down" is exactly what many of these dogs are when they first go home. One of mine spent the first 4 months here upstairs in the corner of the bedroom. I made her come down to go out for bathroom duties but besides that, I gave her plenty of time to adjust and learn to trust us. I'd go up and talk with her or just be near her - at first she didn't like that, but eventually began to get used to my presence. Gradually she began to venture downstairs with us. It took a long time, but she finally became comfortable with us and became a wonderful girl with us. But only with us. The rewards of working with these dogs is immense but it does take a lot of time and patience, and much love. Good luck with your new girl!

P.S. a book that I recommend is Help for Your Fearful Dog by Nicole Wilde.

Guest Greylover3803

Thank you for your kind replys. We are trying to be patient and give Greycie the space she needs to adjust. We lost our Bonnie in Nov after a 5 mo battle with Osteosarcoma going through amputation and chemo and just want a little girl to shower with love and attention again. This morning was better as she popped right up to go out even in a pouring rain storm. I return to work today (my husband is retired and home with her during the day) so hopefully getting into a normal routine will help. She is still a little stubborn with the stairs, but once she gets started she navigates them like a champ. Next up trying to get her to explore the rest of the house by herself without needing to be led. Baby steps and patience!

Time, time, time, time and tons of patience. Some dogs do just shut down when they get into a new situation, and it takes a while for them to come out and realize it's OK.

If she has a "safe place," just let her hang out there, and go in a visit from time to time. Try handing her a yummy treat each time you visit. Or sit near her, on the floor at her level if possible, and read a book or magazine (a quiet activity), and toss her a treat every so often. If you can read out loud to her, that would be good too. She may not accept treats. It's all OK.

Get her on a strict schedule for potties and eating for a while. And as long as she's eating and drinking, let her set the pace for how she settles in. It could take days or weeks or months, depending on her ability to adapt.

Good luck.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We had one which had lived in a small shed for eight years and was in poor physical and mental condition. He just stood where he was left and had to be led to his food, water, garden, bed etc. Though he recovered well physically, he was never 'normal' and stood staring into space a lot though he did learn to move to his food, bed, etc. Hopefully your girl is just shy and will come out of herself gradually with time and patience.

Sue from England

Guest CleverJason

Baron was just like that when he came home. He was so scared he wouldn't even accept treats. After a week, he was wagging his tail. After three weeks, he started playing with his toys. It took him an entire month to stop tensing up and tucking his tale when I pet him.

When the dog is shy, the first week or two can be a little bit heartbreaking. It's been four months for me, and he's still coming out of his shell in small ways every day. But the beauty is after all that work, all that time, every new sign of affection or playfulness is doubly rewarding. It's worth the wait.

Guest Greylover3803

Once again I have to Thank everyone who told me to just be patient! (not my best virture!) The progress over the last 24 hours alone has been amazing. Today Greycie conquered her first experience with the cleaning lady, the mailman coming to the door, and laundry. She is running up and down the stairs like a pro and finally came over to have a conversation with Dad today and take a nap next to his chair. Now if we could just get some dry weather here in the midwest so she could spend a little more time exploring the yard. I am preparing myself for set backs and know we still have a long way to go, but just wanted to pass on how much I appreciate all that took the time to read and respond. Now I just need to figure out how to attach a picture! :)

Guest MnMDogs

She will come around :). We adopted Greg about 3 years ago, and for the first 2 weeks he wouldn't even be in the same room as us. It took him over a week to even lie on a dog bed. Walks were terrible, and we had to carry him out the door for at least the first month. We walked him with a harness and a collar, because we were afraid he'd spook, slip his collar and be gone.

After some months of reluctant walking, he became a different dog. He now LOVES his walks, and looking back, I can't believe he's the same dog we brought home. He still is very unsure of new people, and quite shy around people he doesn't know. But with us, he's a completely different dog. He's still got issues, and his safe spot is out closet (he spends a lot of time in there, and is actually in there now). But he's been a great addition to our family. Give your girl time... :)

Edited by MnMDogs

I'm glad she's starting to come around!

Don't know if this will work for you, but it did for us.... Raven came to us very shy, borderline spooky. She took to me OK but at first she was terrified of DH. Men just scared the poo out of her. So we tried bribery, and it worked wonders. DH brought her a Super Awesome Toy which she loved. He also showered her with treats. It worked, almost a little too well. She became a total daddy's girl. :lol

So see if bribery will help Greycie come out of her shell. If you can find out what she likes, you might be able to use that to your advantage.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg