Hookworm

We've had Marlow since August 2013. He came from a rescue at a greyhound track - he was a return (had been in a home for a couple of years). Anyway, in August I took him to our vet for a checkup and they did a fecal which came back negative. They still gave him a pill dewormer because our other grey had been dx'd with a tapeworm at around that same time. I don't know what heart worm med he was on before I got him, but we gave him Trifexis the first month we had him and then switched to Sentinal. So, today I took him to the vet for his annual check up and when they did the fecal, they found hookworm! He has been given a 3 day course of Pancur. I just finished reading some other threads about hookworm and feel a bit concerned. Also, the vet was surprised by finding hookworms since he's been on Sentinal and tested negative for hookworms previously. I guess I'm feeling concerned because of what I read of other's experiences - that this could be an ongoing issue and that tests don't always pick it up. Sentinal is going to pay for the Pancur and for another fecal test.

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

Panacur works best when a second dose is given a few weeks later. Vets will vary on the time frame from 10 days - 3 weeks. I'm not sure what the official instructions say, but a second dose is a must for it to work effectively. If that doesn't get them, then something stronger like Drontal Plus might be needed.

They are stubborn to get rid of since they can keep hatching inside the hound for a while until your treatment catches them at the right time. It's not always a "one treatment" process.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

It's my understanding that those rotten b*stards can migrate to other parts of the body, like muscle tissue or lungs, and stay dormant for years, only to wake up and start trouble all over (like they cough them up from the lungs, then ingest them and the fun starts). :( we did Panacur 1 or 2 times, then Drontal Plus, then one more Panacur with Zeke. Took FOREVER :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest sireltonsmom

Beau has them too. We did one 3 day Panacur and will do another 3 weeks from then. Yikes. I hope it doesn't go on and on! Good luck! I will have him retested after the second dosing. Fortunately he poos on paper so the rest of the neighborhood isn't at risk from my boy.

Thanks. I'll talk to the vet about a second round of the Panacur. Hopefully that plus being on Sentinel will do the trick. (Although it appears the Sentinel hasn't done its job).

<p>Kim and the hound - Rumor
Missing my angels Marlow, Silver, Holly and Lucky

• 5 months later...
Guest Johberry

Just curious about hookworm treatment. Our boy tested positive when our adoption group got him a month ago. The medicine they used was Hartz Ultraguard. I was told he'd need a round once a month for a few months. After browsing the forum, it looks like Panacur and/or Drontal is effective? Our boy goes in for his first check-up since we adopted him in a few weeks so will definitely ask the vet questions. I'm just curious about others' experience with treating for hookworm. Thanks. :)

This spring one of my girls tested positive for hooks. She was treated and the next sample came back positive too. So I decided to check the other dog and she tested positive for whips! Both dogs were on Heartguard every month all year. The dogs have now been each treated 4x (Panacur and Dorantal at increasing doses) and they still have them, on my vets advice I've switched from Heartguard (after checking for heartworm which was negative thank God). They have now been treated with Interceptor twice (2 weeks apart) and will be treated 2 more times two weeks apart and than we'll get another fecal checked in October. I've dubbed this "The Summer of the Worms." :POed

Guest Johberry

This spring one of my girls tested positive for hooks. She was treated and the next sample came back positive too. So I decided to check the other dog and she tested positive for whips! Both dogs were on Heartguard every month all year. The dogs have now been each treated 4x (Panacur and Dorantal at increasing doses) and they still have them, on my vets advice I've switched from Heartguard (after checking for heartworm which was negative thank God). They have now been treated with Interceptor twice (2 weeks apart) and will be treated 2 more times two weeks apart and than we'll get another fecal checked in October. I've dubbed this "The Summer of the Worms." :POed

Oh wow, thanks for the insight. I'm going to bring a stool sample to my boy's vet appt this month...even though I know it'll be positive (per the foster family). Now I'm wondering why he wasn't started on Panacur and Drontal to begin with. Oh well. Looks like he'll soon be on proper meds after the vet visit. Anyways, I hope your girls get rid of these pesky worms...and hopefully my boy will be rid of his hooks as well!