What Is This? Do I Need To Panic?

This is my first senior dog, so I'm trying not to panic about new things that pop up on Rainy. About 3 months ago she developed what looked like a big skin tag on the inside of her thigh. It was Squishy and I just watched it. It stayed the same so I stopped worrying and checking every day.

I noticed today that it changed! It got twice as big and is now looking some cauliflowery. Still squishy. Can anyone identify this?

Should I keep a watch on it? Or rush to the vet? Keep in mind my last employed day was Friday. So I now have lots of time to worry and not a lot of medical money income! LOL It's not sensitive and I can poke and roll it around without her objecting... Anyone's pup ever had one?

20140329_173743.jpg

Oh and it was a bit red because I was just messing with it. Normally it's a pink color.

------

Jessica

Likely a sebaceous cyst. Sometimes they need to be aspirated if they are in an irritating spot but otherwise no need to panic. (It's basically a big pimple so if it is poked a bunch of gross stuff will come out).

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest MnMDogs

Hmm, none of our dogs' cysts have had that cauliflower look, they've all been just a big (or little) bump. Mork had some weird cauliflower looking growths that started several years before he died, that my vet just called "old man warts" but they never grew enough that is was noticeable.

I'd probably have it aspirated for peace of mind (but I'm a worry wart). Especially since it changed appearance and has grown.

Edited by MnMDogs

Thanks! I think it may be these

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/dermatologyforanimals?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dermatologyforanimals.com%2Ffaq-44%2F&dm_redirected=true#2888

Glad to know there is no panic needed. I think her annual is in June. I'll bug the vet then about it. Unless it changes even more before then... :-) phew I can be calm now! Thanks so much!

------

Jessica

Guest Liz_in_PA

I didn't check put the link but, it looks like a classic sebaceous adenoma--they are benign and can frequently exude greasy discharge requiring occasional topical cleaning.

Ew.

All the little girls who want to grow up to be vets should be required to read sentences like this.

If it grows more I'd probably have it looked at, but, I wouldn't worry :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Thanks! I think it may be these

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/dermatologyforanimals?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dermatologyforanimals.com%2Ffaq-44%2F&dm_redirected=true#2888

Glad to know there is no panic needed. I think her annual is in June. I'll bug the vet then about it. Unless it changes even more before then... :-) phew I can be calm now! Thanks so much!

My 15 yo Mousie has three of those and three or four more in development. My vet doesn't remove them unless they cause problems. They must itch periodically because sometimes she'll scratch them. One has abscessed twice but it's easily treatable with antibiotics. He said that just happens sometimes. They're ugly but harmless :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Oh wow! Thanks! I'll be in the look out for abcessing and itchiness. So far it seems dry not even the oily discharge. She completely acts like it's not even there. I'm so relieved that it's not a rush to the vet for a biopsy thing.

------

Jessica

Hold a dime next to it and snap a photo now. Then you can hold a dime by it in June and let your vet compare sizes to see if there's been much change. (That's more efficient than my usual method: "I don't think it's any bigger...")

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Hold a dime next to it and snap a photo now. Then you can hold a dime by it in June and let your vet compare sizes to see if there's been much change. (That's more efficient than my usual method: "I don't think it's any bigger...")

That's a great idea! I usually just use my finger, but that's not too precise. Thanks!

------

Jessica